shoes made for clips

jonberkedal

Mar 16, 2011
I am new to this forum and appoligize if this thread has already be exhausted. I am wondering if anyone knows if shoes for peddles with clips are still manufactured by anyone. I am using very old NB 500's which are no longer made. Want stiff bottoms but soles that will engage the peddles. Rubber bumpers (or similar materials) on toes, suede leather uppers that will take abrasion from clips, etc. I know that most people just use running shoes or something like this, but I find that they are too wide to fit easily into the clips. Would like a shoe with a narrow profile that still fit a normal (size D) width. Any ideas?????

Welcome to the forum, Jon.

I tried to find a pair of shoes that would work well with toe clips a couple of years ago ( I inherited an old bike ) and just ended up changing the pedals over to clipless.

Seems like all the shoes I found use velcro straps and those tend to snag on the cage when I try to slip my toe in. My old shoes that I used with toe clips several years ago laced up and slid into the cages very easily. I also tried using my running shoes, but like you I found the soles were too wide to slip in easily.

Hopefully someone will know where you can get a good pair....

I've done a lot of reading lately on classic- and vintage- oriented sites like Rivendell, Velo Orange, etc. and I'm pretty sure that I've run across at least one source for such shoes. However, I couldn't tell you where. I would suggest that you contact Rivendell, if anyone knows where to find them, they should. I have given up (at least for the time being) on clip pedals but I don't use full clips; Velo Orange makes some half-clips which don't use straps. I use one on my left pedal so that I can easily reposition it when stopped. I found that I missed this feature when I took off the clip pedals. Works well for me. I prefer to ride in my driving shoes (which are also my all-round weekend shoes). They are Piloti G16s (I think that's the right number). Driving shoes lace up and are narrow, so they may work for you. I recognize that they aren't as stiff as cycling shoes. You can find Piloti shoes discounted at Zappos and ShoeBacca. Good luck.