Shoes recommendation

A

Amarcus

Hi, some already know me here. I thank you guys again for the advice on the side stitches. I am
doing better now. Since I'm novice please bear with me I have some other questions :) I am using a
somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but now I am having some
back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not "rubbery" or "elastic" enough; I went on
the bicycle today instead of running: not the same!). What brand of running shoes you think is best?
I have put some cash aside and want to buy new shoes for my newfound passion.

> I am using a somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but
>
>now I am having some back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not
>
>"rubbery" or "elastic" enough;

"suspect" nothing, that IS DEFENIATELY the problem. Get real running shoes, run barefoot on dirt, or
just quit before you hurt yourself.

What brand of running shoes you think is best? I have put
>some cash aside and want to buy new shoes for my newfound passion.

Whichever major brand EXCEPT FOR NIKES fits your runing style. Try Asics.

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_!_)
OO

In article <[email protected]>, amarcus wrote:
> Hi, some already know me here. I thank you guys again for the advice on the side stitches. I am
> doing better now. Since I'm novice please bear with me I have some other questions :) I am using a
> somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but now I am having some
> back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not "rubbery" or "elastic" enough; I went on
> the bicycle today instead of running: not the same!). What brand of running shoes you think is
> best? I have put some cash aside and want to buy new shoes for my newfound passion.

You're asking the wrong question. Asics, New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Brooks, and Mizuno, (for
example) are all good brands. I doubt anyone could give a rational argument that any of these
brands is "better" than any other, at the very least to do so would require that they say what they
mean by "better".

It's not a matter of choosing the right brand, it's a matter of choosing a shoe that is a good fit,
and is appropriate for your biomechanics. Some people find that shoes from a particular brand
consistently fit better than other brands, but apart from that, it's unlikely that any brand has a
big advantage.

How high are your arches ? Are you an over-pronator ? How heavy are you ? These factors are more
important when choosing a shoe than an arbitrary preferance for any particular brand.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Frankly you need to find a real running store that can help you find the right shoe. Brand is
not important, design (for different kinds of feet and running styles) is much more important,
as is fit.

However I question your assumption about your back. It may or may not be related. You can't
really look to shoes to fix something, buy they can help in some cases. Since my feet and the
rest of my body are really important to me, I do like to keep good shoes on my feet.

BTW for most people 400-600 miles is the limit for a pair of running shoes.

One last note. As you may have already noticed we do have a resident troll. Easy to spot. Funny
thing about this one. He or she actually has a good mind and in general knows what they are
talking about, when they bother to be serious. Too bad most of their messages are otherwise.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"amarcus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, some already know me here. I thank you guys again for the advice on
the
> side stitches. I am doing better now. Since I'm novice please bear with me I have some other
> questions :) I am
using
> a somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first
but
> now I am having some back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are
not
> "rubbery" or "elastic" enough; I went on the bicycle today instead of
running:
> not the same!). What brand of running shoes you think is best? I have put
some
> cash aside and want to buy new shoes for my newfound passion.

>Asics, New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Brooks, and Mizuno, (for example) are all good brands.

No I'm sorry, but Nikes do NOT belong in this group. No matter what the "beginners" tell you.

Bill R.

OO

Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:
>>Asics, New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Brooks, and Mizuno, (for example) are all good brands.
>
>
> No I'm sorry, but Nikes do NOT belong in this group. No matter what the "beginners" tell you.

Just follow the classic rule: if it works, use it.

If nike work for you, buy 'em. Bill obviously doesn't like them, but we just keep him around to
extend threads like this. He's an otherwise harmless troll. 8^)

--
Ed Prochak running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
--
"Two roads diverged in a wood and I I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the
difference." robert frost

[email protected] (amarcus) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <edit>
> I am using a somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but now I am
> having some back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not "rubbery" or "elastic"
> enough; I went on the bicycle today instead of running: not the same!). What brand of running
> shoes you think is best?
<edit>

Hi,

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to go see a podiatrist (foot doctor). The advice to find a
good running store is good -- but it's not always easy to tell what a 'good' store is, and in my
experience, even good stores give bad advice occasionally. You should be able to get an inexpensive
consultation with a podiatrist, who has no vested interest in your purchase, only your health.

My experience: while training for my first marathon, I was sold stability shoes (for overpronators)
since, in the running-store-guy's opinion, this was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, these
shoes gave me a chronic foot injury that took 6 months to heal. My podiatrist analysed my gait and
found it to be completely neutral: stability shoes are completely wrong for me. I now only buy
cushioned shoes with the minimum amount of technology built in and couldn't be happier. I have since
heard many other people being steered towards stability shoes by sales staff (many of whom are
teenagers who don't know the meaning of the word 'injury').

Another bit of advice: shop around and try many pairs. When you find a shoe you like, buy as many
pairs as you can afford, because chances are that next year it will completely change!

Yet another bit of advice: log your miles carefully, and chuck your shoes out after 600 miles or
1000 kilometres. _Even_ if they 'look OK'.

Good luck! Cheers, Matt

Joseph Meehan <[email protected]>wrote...
>...However I question your assumption about your back. It may or may not be related. You can't
>really look to shoes to fix something, buy they can help in some cases...

What else could be causing this backbone ache? Well, I'm gonna go to an orthopedist anyway to have
my backbone checked and all. Imma buy the new running shoes cause I need new one. Meanwhile the
bicycle is gentle on my back will have to substitute it for running. I know it's not as intense or
gratifying as crude running. Does anyone know how efficient is cycling compared to runnning?
Aerobic exercise that is; if for instance you go uphill running versus going the same uphill
cycling at the same speed, do you put in half (three-quarters...etc...) the effort on the bicycle
as you would just running?

The back problem may well be aggravated by running. Shoes may, but are not all that likely to be the
cause of the problem. I am not a back expert. I do happen to have one, and I have been hospitalized
because of a back condition, however it had nothing to do with running shoes or even running. In
fact when I asked about running my doctor told me to keep it up, it would be good from my condition.

However you should not be so fast as to assume even a connection with the back problem and
running. It may well be the only connection is the timing of both.

If you really are having back problems, I strongly suggest seeing your doctor about it. Your
back is really worth it. A visit is likely to also cost less than a pair of running shoes.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"amarcus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Joseph Meehan <[email protected]>wrote...
> >...However I question your assumption about your back. It may or may not be related. You can't
> >really look to shoes to fix something, buy they
can
> >help in some cases...
>
> What else could be causing this backbone ache? Well, I'm gonna go to an orthopedist anyway to have
> my backbone checked and all. Imma buy the new running shoes cause I need new one. Meanwhile the
> bicycle is gentle on my back will have to substitute it for running. I know it's not as intense or
> gratifying as crude running. Does
anyone
> know how efficient is cycling compared to runnning? Aerobic exercise that
is;
> if for instance you go uphill running versus going the same uphill cycling
at
> the same speed, do you put in half (three-quarters...etc...) the effort on
the
> bicycle as you would just running?

>My advice, for what it's worth, would be to go see a podiatrist

Ignore this dolt. When you have a headache do you go to a proctologist? (He probably does, but a
normal person doesn't)

Bill R.

OO

try asics ,,,, plodzilla

amarcus wrote:
>
> Hi, some already know me here. I thank you guys again for the advice on the side stitches. I am
> doing better now. Since I'm novice please bear with me I have some other questions :) I am using a
> somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but now I am having some
> back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not "rubbery" or "elastic" enough; I went on
> the bicycle today instead of running: not the same!). What brand of running shoes you think is
> best? I have put some cash aside and want to buy new shoes for my newfound passion.

>I am using a somewhat old pair of tennis shoes to go running... it was good at first but now I am
>having some back pain (I suspect that the soles of the shoes are not

Obviously a troll. Even the must stupid, newest runner knows running shoes are the most
important thing.

[email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Good advice, as long as it isn't Nike. If you want to pay twice the price because of high
> advertising costs, then buy Nike. If you want to be a runner buy anyother brand listed. It's a
> fact wether Edjew agrees or not.

You're hilarious! You'd pay $110 for a Kayano yet $120 for an Air Max is an outrage. Same
with the Beast.....

> Bad advice. Buy one of the other brands and save half the price. Buy quality, not a high
> priced name.
How do you figure? Nike has plenty of shoes in ght $60-80 range, as does NB, Asics, etc.

> Of course I am the moderator too, so it's ironic that I allow you to even posat here Ed.

Back to your meds.