Shoes Specialized Comp Road: A Disaster

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Predrag Jovanov, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. I recently bought 2003 Specialized Comp Road shoes. My decision was based on excellent experience
    with their 2001 Team mtb shoes. I have a Dura Ace spd pedals, old style (not spd-r). Boy, what a
    shock it was when I tried to place the shoe plates where I wanted them, in the so called "neutral
    position" (ball-over-the-axle). No way. Max backward position of the ball of the foot that these
    shoes allow is 5 mm *in front* of the axle!!! And Specialized explicitly states that their shoes are
    compatible with Shimano spd. Well, if they think "compatible" means "screwable", they are right. But
    "compatible" means "offering every possibility as original product". But, Shimano R210 shoes offer
    generous 10mm *behind" the axle position. Conclusion: Specialized Comp Road shoes are not spd
    compatible!

    Then I thought: OK, let's try Look pedals with Specialized shoes. The story was the same. When the
    plate is pushed max forwards, the ball of the foot still remains 5mm *in front* of the axle. While
    Shimano R210 offers generous 10mm *behind* the axle. Conclusion: Specialized Comp Road shoes are not
    Look compatible.

    sued them for misleading the customer. In Croatia, with the shoes bought in Austria I can only hope
    to get my money back.

    Dear friends, stay away from Specialized Comp Road shoes.

    Happy ride,

    Predrag

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    The position of the drillings is different per brand and sometimes even per model. I always take my
    old shoes when i'm shopping for a new pair to check if my cleat position is possible.

  3. "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The position of the drillings is different per brand and sometimes even
    per model. I always take my old shoes when i'm shopping for
    > a new pair to check if my cleat position is possible.

    That's wise thing to do, of course. Every lesson has it's price. But, I've weared out 4 pair of mtb
    shoes and 3 pairs of road shoes, never encountered a single problem. Not even with Specialized mtb
    shoes which, I must say, are the best mtb shoes I would recommend to everyone. That's why I feel so
    shocked, stunned, outraged, deceived.....you name it. I think it is the big shame for the big S.
    *And* I think I'm stupid to believe the "compatibility" gospel.

    Happy ride,

    Predrag