shoes with toe clips

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ian Trontz, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Ian Trontz

    Ian Trontz Guest

    Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) that has toe clips on the pedals?
    I used to have a pair of hard rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them. The road
    shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't look like they'd give me enough bite on the
    pedal. On the other hand, the mountain shoes look too thick.

    Also, I'd like to spend less than $100.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Ian Trontz wrote:

    > Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) that has toe clips on the
    > pedals? I used to have a pair of hard rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them.
    > The road shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't look like they'd give me enough
    > bite on the pedal. On the other hand, the mountain shoes look too thick.
    >
    > Also, I'd like to spend less than $100.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You might add a pair of sturdy sandals to your considerations. I currently am riding in a pair of
    Brooks sandals. They are not stiff enough, but the sole is grippy enough for my Wellgo pedals, and I
    don't use straps with my clips so they work. I'd like (for myself) a sturdy, very robust pair of
    velcro sandals that suit my style. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    BTW, I just ordered a pair of Zefal "toe cups" for very little $$ . They fit on a pedal like
    old fashioned toe clips, but are simple (and short) cups over the toe. I think they will let me
    wear whatever shoe I like, and give the stability I need when spinning thru the bumps. Best
    regards, Bernie

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Ian Trontz) wrote in news:1da74.0306012132.51b68246 @posting.google.com:
    > Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) that has toe clips on the
    > pedals? I used to have a pair of hard rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them.
    > The road shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't look like they'd give me enough
    > bite on the pedal. On the other hand, the mountain shoes look too thick.

    Some companies make "touring" shoes that are like road shoes except with a soft, thin rubber sole
    for walking. That should bite your pedals pretty well without being clunky like MTB shoes. Shimano
    touring shoes should be widely available at bike shops.

    Low end MTB shoes with sneaker-style soles should work as well.

  4. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > BTW, I just ordered a pair of Zefal "toe cups" for very little $$ . They fit on a pedal like
    > old fashioned toe clips, but are simple (and short) cups over the toe. I think they will let me
    > wear whatever shoe I like, and give the stability I need when spinning thru the bumps. Best
    > regards, Bernie

    I had a set of those on my commuter for a while. I hated them. All they do is keep your foot from
    sliding forward on the pedal. The pressure on my toes kept me confused all the time because I
    wanted to treat them like clips and straps. I'd get rolling, forget that they were just "toe cups"
    and promptly lift my foot right off the pedal. I switched back to full clips and straps after a
    couple of weeks.

    -Buck

  5. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Ian Trontz at [email protected] wrote on 6/1/03 10:32 PM:

    > Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) that has toe clips on the
    > pedals? I used to have a pair of hard rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them.
    > The road shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't look like they'd give me enough
    > bite on the pedal. On the other hand, the mountain shoes look too thick.

    When I'm running errands, I've been using a set of SIDI Police "high-tops" which were on sale at
    Trips For Kids. They have a smooth enough sole that you can slide them into tight straps without any
    cleatage hanging up on the pedal teeth. An added feature is that you don't go sliding across the
    tiles at Longs Drugs like an out of control supercharged Zamboni. Although they have the approximate
    height of a pair of Chuck Taylors, they are cut down at the heel, and I've done a few hours in them
    without hotspots. They also have a lace cover.

    Last time I was in TFK, they had a pretty good size run - I think they were in the $35 range. You
    might call 'em and see if they can ship you one:

    http://www.webcom.com/tfk/thrift.htm

  6. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Ian Trontz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi
    Strada LX)
    > that has toe clips on the pedals? I used to have a pair of
    hard
    > rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them.
    The road
    > shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't
    look like
    > they'd give me enough bite on the pedal. On the other
    hand, the
    > mountain shoes look too thick.
    >
    > Also, I'd like to spend less than $100.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Diadora 'Voyager' touring shoes.......

  7. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Buck wrote:

    > "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > BTW, I just ordered a pair of Zefal "toe cups" for very little $$ . They fit on a pedal like old
    > > fashioned toe clips, but are simple (and short) cups over the toe. I think they will let me wear
    > > whatever shoe I like, and give the stability I need when spinning thru the bumps. Best regards,
    > > Bernie
    >
    > I had a set of those on my commuter for a while. I hated them. All they do is keep your foot from
    > sliding forward on the pedal. The pressure on my toes kept me confused all the time because I
    > wanted to treat them like clips and straps. I'd get rolling, forget that they were just "toe cups"
    > and promptly lift my foot right off the pedal. I switched back to full clips and straps after a
    > couple of weeks.
    >
    > -Buck

    Interesting. Thanks for the post. Will post my experiences when I have them. Bernie

  8. Jeff Stone

    Jeff Stone Guest

    On 1 Jun 2003 22:32:52 -0700, [email protected] (Ian Trontz) wrote:

    >Any suggestions on a good shoe for a road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) that has toe clips on the
    >pedals? I used to have a pair of hard rubber-soled Shimanos that worked well but I've lost them.
    >The road shoes I find online all are SPD flat-bottoms that don't look like they'd give me enough
    >bite on the pedal. On the other hand, the mountain shoes look too thick.
    >
    >Also, I'd like to spend less than $100.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Tennis shoes and Shimano SPD sandals (no cleats) work well for me. It's easier to enter the pedal
    with the tennies but I have a little more grip for pulling with the sandals.

    -jeff- -jeff- in Acton, MA ** To reply by e-mail: there's no 'x' my address.