Shoes

Skateboard shoes (K-mart brand) with soccer ankle protectors. Soccer
shin protectors on top of that.
I'm pretty sure this combination has kept me out of the hospital...

--
dogbowl - Putting the F back in Freemounting

All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking
a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

yeah Skate shoes, or any shoes as long as they have a FLAT sole (so
usually only skate shoes)
I can't ride in sports shoes or shoes with and arch, its too hard to
adjust me feet and they tend to just sit in the arches, which doens't
tend to be where i like my feet.

--
munimanpete - mocacycle

WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM

*www.unicycle.2ya.com*
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

I like the Van's "Off The Wall" boarding shoes. They have a
treadpattern of lots of little hexagonal "pits", which lock in real nice
with pinned pedals.

You have to be careful to get the ones with the stiff soles. Van's makes
two basic models, one with a stiff sole and one with a really flexy
sole. I have the stiff sole ones and they work great. John Childs does
not recommend the flexy sole model.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

I also use vans and love them. I used to use Airwalks. Truthfully, the
Airwalk tread gripped the pedals better but the Vans is much more
durable. My Vans have a chevron pattern on the balls of the feet and
hex honeycomb pattern on the rest. The main thing I look for in riding
shoes are a stiff sole, good tread pattern, durability, price and
comfort.

Daniel

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

daino149 wrote:
> *I also use vans and love them. I used to use Airwalks. Truthfully,
> the Airwalk tread gripped the pedals better but the Vans is much more
> durable. My Vans have a chevron pattern on the balls of the feet and
> hex honeycomb pattern on the rest. The main thing I look for in
> riding shoes are a stiff sole, good tread pattern, durability, price
> and comfort.
>
> Daniel *

I'm the same.

Other people I ride with like basket ball shoes for ankle support but I
dont like the grip or just the fact that they are basket ball shoes.

--
Tim - Thread Killer

"He's on a unicycle we'll never catch him now!" -Fred from Scooby Doo
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

I have so far been very satisfied with my sixsixone Dually's. I dont
have much to compare them too, but ive used them for about 6 months for
muni and trials and they have held up very well. The tread hasnt worn
much at all and they still look great. Also, the 3/4 Hi-Top design
gives me a little more confidence when im ridin my summit with the old
kh nub cranks. Its kinda pricey, but pretty durable and works well for
all styles of riding.

--
xtremeskier_ - I <3 my KH24

"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it,
that's trustworthiness."
– George W. Bush

"Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their love with women all
across the country." - George W. Bush

"Yeah, uh tribal sovereignty means that, it's sovereign. Its ye, yer a,
yer a, you've been givin sovereignty and yer, viewed as a sovereign
entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government
and, tribes is one between, ss-sovereign entities. - George W. Bush

xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

Depends on the type of riding.

For general riding, I wear whatever happens to be on my feet at the
time. Usually sneakers. As long as there's no heel to hinder where I
put my foot. Also, pedal pins might chew up softer soles. But softer
soles may grip freestyle pedals better. So, I think choice of shoe also
depends on the type of pedal.

For MUni, I wear boots so that I have some ankle support. Regardless of
your skill level, if you are riding down rocky hills, you will certainly
have UPDs that will send you running down a rocky hill. I don't
understand why so many people do that in low shoes. Seems like a sprain
waiting to happen.

--
Dave Lowell - ___

Member of the

(i used to be uni57)
Dave Lowell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7706

I like Salomon Raid Race shoes for MUNi. I've been using these and it's
earlier predecessors for the last three years. It's a nice lightweight
trail running shoe for racing, and the best thing is that it has kevlar
straps speedstraps that don't get tangled up on your axle or get clogged
up with mud.
'Salomon' (http://tinyurl.com/5kt6x)

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO

"Give man dead fish, and he feed himself for lunch, teach man to catch
fish, and he feed himself for life. Teach man to wheel ride, and he
make friends everywhere, anywhere, and even have lunch at their
place."
Old Chinese saying

For trials I wear a Van’s skate shoe. For freestyle I wear a pair of
Converse Chuck Taylors. For MUni I used to wear the 661 Dualies but
after being very disappointed in the longevity of these I now ride in a
pair of “old school” leather basketball shoes. You can pick these up at
any shoe outlet in the U.S. for between $12 and $20. The ankles are
padded and the sole is plenty soft for the pins and good shoe:pedal
contact. By spreading the wear out over three shoes I get long-life and
specific function out of each pair.
Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
[email protected] (No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

I either ride barefoot or wear my Doc Marten's boots- cos they're the
only shoes i own...

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller ([email protected])
Never trust anything you read on the internet
[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
'[image: http://www.freewebs.com/obiwan_kenobi62/Randomforums logo.bmp
]' (www.randomforums.tk)

theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

I've got a stiff pair of Airwalks and love them for MUniing. Santa
Barbara single tracks have a lot of rolling drops and with a softer shoe
(which I've used a few times) the soles of my feet get bruised on the
peddles. I use the Airwalks for trials as well.

For freestyle I like a slightly softer pair of Vans (not the really soft
ones), also with a flat sole. They grip tire well for wheel walking and
I can lightly drag them over the tire on 1 foot wwing and gliding (which
I'm now trying to learn), something I had trouble doing with a treaded
running shoe. A good freestyler (I'm not) could probably wear wing tips
and do most anything, but I find a flat, tredless rubber sole essential
because my technique is raw and the flat sole is forgiving for wwing and
gliding.

I think for overall use, a stiff Vans or Airwalk lowtop will serve you
well. I'm lucky to live near a Foot Locker outlet and can keep an eye
out for specials. MUniing destroys shoes.

JL

--
vivalargo - TurboMUnieers, Charter Member
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

For freestyle I've worn the Converse High Tops for years, which is what
most people wear in the Twin City Unicycle Club(one of the best clubs in
the world, I think?!). They are flexible so you can grip the pedal and
wheels better and have more control. For doing stand-up tricks, it'll
hurt your heel at first but overtime it goes away. One thing I don't
like is that they don't last a long time, especially if you do lots of
gliding. But overall they've seemed to be good shoes for freestyle with
many world and national champions using them.

As for Muni, I just wear any tennis shoes and don't have a preference-at
least not yet.

--
tuna6869 - Patriotic Unicycler

Jamey Mossengren

Smile! :) It makes people wonder what you're up to!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away"

tuna6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1526

Dave Lowell wrote:
> *For MUni, I wear boots so that I have some ankle support. Regardless
> of your skill level, if you are riding down rocky hills, you will
> certainly have UPDs that will send you running down a rocky hill. I
> don't understand why so many people do that in low shoes. Seems like
> a sprain waiting to happen. *

To ride efficiently you need to be able to flex your ankle as you pedal.
You need to be able to point your toes down at the bottom of the pedal
stroke. A boot or a high top shoe that restricts the movement of your
ankle would not be the best riding shoe.

If you are concerned about sprains or twisting an ankle then the 'Active
Ankles' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=405) would be a
better choice. The Active Ankles still allow you to easily flex your
ankle while giving your ankle support against twists and sprains.

For muni I generally ride with either the AXO/661 Duallies or Vans skate
shoes with the 661 Ankle Biters. If it's an extreme trail I may go with
the Vans and Active Ankles.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

I use These: 'Clicky Clicky' (http://tinyurl.com/3w9pn) I bought them
for $35 in utah and they work pretty well. Extremely comfy and grips is
not too shabby either. Plus they are total chick magnets. (Washer Safe
too)

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

[image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=

tomblackwood wrote:
> *I like the Van's "Off The Wall" boarding shoes. They have a
> treadpattern of lots of little hexagonal "pits", which lock in real
> nice with pinned pedals.
>
> You have to be careful to get the ones with the stiff soles. Van's
> makes two basic models, one with a stiff sole and one with a really
> flexy sole. I have the stiff sole ones and they work great. John
> Childs does not recommend the flexy sole model. *

YESSS!!!!!!! vans are the best, and always will be. i do agree that they
have the best sole for platform pedals

--
dubmuni2004 - i need a more exciting avatar

threre is a place, a place far from here. where unicyclists and
unicycles play and sing together. and where the big bad slurpee throwers
are non-existant. and where unicycle=pimp. and where the trails thrive
and live. -the place i go when i ride-

[email protected]
dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

I wear a pair of $25 Brahma work shoes, the tread grips the pins on my
pedals pretty well, they're comfy, and they've a steel toe which I find
handy for muni... Took a dive on Saturday that jarred my toes, hate to
think what would have happened with a soft toe shoe...

--
evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
stronger...

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692