Shoes

evil-nick wrote:
> *Took a dive on Saturday that jarred my toes, hate to think what would
> have happened with a soft toe shoe... *

I also took a dive on Saturday, and sprained my middle toe. It's black
and blue. I wear blue Reebok sneakers that do not offer enough
protection. This is what can happen with a soft toe shoe..

--
One on one - Hooked on fun fix

"I don't care who you are, that's funny!" Larry the Cable Guy
One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

One on one wrote:
> *
>
> I also took a dive on Saturday, and sprained my middle toe. It's black
> and blue. I wear blue Reebok sneakers that do not offer enough
> protection. This is what can happen with a soft toe shoe..
> :( *

I lost part of my big toenail this year when my toe made contact with a
root or a rock. :eek:

A shoe that has better protection for the toes than your typical skate
shoe would be better. But I haven't found that perfect shoe yet. There
are work shoes that have steel toes. But none of the ones I've seen
would be good for muni riding. For now I still like my Vans or
Duallies.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

never mind shoes... what about shin and knee protection. oww!

black and blue
if it doesn't have wheels it's broken

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:56:35 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

>There
>are work shoes that have steel toes. But none of the ones I've seen
>would be good for muni riding.

In fact that is the type of shoes I use for MUni. To my satisfaction
but I haven't used any of the recommented shoes. Why were those you
saw not good, John? Did the tread patterns not lock to pedal pins?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:56:35 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:
>
> >There
> >are work shoes that have steel toes. But none of the ones I've

> seen
> >would be good for muni riding.

> In fact that is the type of shoes I use for MUni. To my satisfaction
> but I haven't used any of the recommented shoes. Why were those you
> saw not good, John? Did the tread patterns not lock to pedal pins?
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
> *

There are athletic style work shoes that have steel toes. 'Skechers'
(http://www.skechers.com/) makes some. Other shoe makers also make
similar athletic style work shoes.

Unfortunately they're too much work shoe and not enough skate shoe or
muni shoe. They don't have a completely flat sole like a skate shoe.
The tread pattern is also not to my liking. I don't want a show with a
heel and I want a shoe with a completely flat sole (no pseudo heel or
cut away section under the arch). The soles are also usually designed
to be oil resistant which makes them less ideal for gripping pinned
pedals.

I really like the Vans and the Dually for muni. Both shoes grip very
well on my pinned pedals. Given the choice between my Vans or the steel
toe shoes that I've seen, I'll pick my Vans. There are times when the
extra grip of the Vans and the flat sole of the Vans is what saves me
from a UPD.

If I can find an ideal steel toed shoe I'll give them a try, but I'm not
going to try them if I feel their design is sub standard for my muni
use.

Hurting my toes is a really rare event. It's only happened once to me
so far. Even then it was rather minor. I did loose part of my toenail,
but I didn't break my toe and I was still able to walk just fine. The
injury didn't affect my muni riding. I don't expect it to happen again
for quite a while.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

my new ipath's are really grippy , the sole is just lots of raised i
path logos, theyre super comfortable , not to flexy and as i said really
grippy on my pinned pedals. much better than my duff's gamblers.

never wear puma sprints for riding, they are ****!

--
tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

Got me another 28" uni :D
tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

Tim wrote:
> *Other people I ride with like basket ball shoes for ankle support but
> I dont like the grip or just the fact that they are basket ball shoes.
> *

I wear hightop Basketball shoes. Not for ankle support but for ankle
protection. When that inside anklebone nails the crank as it comes
around it brings tears to my eyes. Those popular Converse hightops
provide no protection as far as I'm concerned. And the souls are too
floppy. Mine are thicker up at the ankle...padded. I've had no problems
at all with lack of grip. They say "Shaq" across the ankle strap.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

A lot of talk about muni shoes, but what are peoples favorites for
trials? I use my duallys for muni and trials, but im thinkin about
getting some vans for trials instead. Would they work better for trials
then the 661's?

--
xtremeskier_ - I <3 my KH24

"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it,
that's trustworthiness."
– George W. Bush

http://www.twofacesofbush.com/

^^Wow, that is just scary...

http://www.democrats.org/faces/index.html

^^Someone wasn't having too much fun in the debate...
xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

I use an old and beat up pair of dc's because they seem to work great
and have lots of padding.

I also hear that etnies are good

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

I've had good luck offroad with a cheap pair of hiking shoes I found at
the flea market. They're built like hiking boots, but with no ankle
coverage. The sole has an oversized, grippy boot tread that always
seems to catch the pedal right when I think I'm going to lose it.

It's really all about the tread. If you're MUni riding in dirty / muddy
/ rocky conditions, a pair of skate shoes will be as good as a pair of
banana peels on your feet :)

--
maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

you know what else is good, is the "old skool" VANS high tops (i think
they are call sk8 hi) 'click here' (http://tinyurl.com/65twk)

--
dubmuni2004 - i need a more exciting avatar

threre is a place, a place far from here. where unicyclists and
unicycles play and sing together. and where the big bad slurpee throwers
are non-existant. and where unicycle=pimp. and where the trails thrive
and live. -the place i go when i ride-

[email protected]
dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

There aren't any special unicycle-shoes are there? I wish there were
because we are writing about different kinds of shoes at school and what
they are made out of. (Don't ask me why). If there was a unicycle shoe I
couldwrite about that. Until I find out I'm writing about bike-shoes.

--
Orange - I'm a Wiltshire so watch out!

Why do I always log on to msn instead of doing my history homework?

Orange's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6657

Orange wrote:
> *There aren't any special unicycle-shoes are there? I wish there were
> because we are writing about different kinds of shoes at school and
> what they are made out of. (Don't ask me why). If there was a unicycle
> shoe I couldwrite about that. Until I find out I'm writing about
> bike-shoes. *

You could write about freeride shoes. Those are the closest that you'll
come to unicycle specific shoe for muni or trials.

Lake Cycling has the 'Richie Schley freeride shoe'
(http://www.lakecycling.com/freeride.html)

661 has the 'Dually' (http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/shoe_dually.html)

And there are some others who make downhill/freeride/BMX specific shoes
that might be good for unicycling.

--

--
Orange - I'm a Wiltshire so watch out!

Why do I always log on to msn instead of doing my history homework?

Orange's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6657

I just bought the Adidas Samba's in black, and rather than make a new
thread, I thought I would rather just bump this than make a new thread.
They grip well and are comfy, they have pretty good spring but this
friday I will put them to the test, when i go for my Nevada Day, Carson
Parade/Urban Assault Ride.

'Clickity Clickity' (http://tinyurl.com/6oswo)

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

[image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=