Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Per ElmsäTer

I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes SH-M082
now and realizing they weigh about twice as much as road shoes, I'd like to get something more
fitting my racer.

I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to be the best I can find
locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does anybody ever use the
adjustable sole on the Sidi's or is it just a sales gimmick?

Leave out the advice that the one that fits best will be the best. I will of course make my final
decision based on the fit. However if the fit is equal I'd like to get the lightest shoe with the
best functionality. I intend on doing a couple of longer recreational races this summer. One 300 km
race and a 4 day stage, plus of course a couple of shorter TT's

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

If the Sidi shoe fits you, stay away from G4 and Energy. The strap creates hot spots at a
sensitive nerve branch. If you like to keep your straps tight, this may cause problems for you. I
have seen close-up photos of pros with the older G3 style strap (Sidi makes custom shoes for most
of the pros).

To support my point, and give you an alternative, you will notice that it has been revised again new
"Ergo 1" back to the G3 style closure. Be warned that the Ergo 1 has a CF sole and the price is
close to $300.

The adjustable sole (the spinning doodad on the bottom) seems to be a gimmick. I know many people
who say they can't tell any difference. Mine fell out and I did not notice. It is worth noting that
the Sidi shoes have the best straps.

You might look in to the Ultimax by DMT. They get rave reviews from everyone I know that has tried
them. They have 2 mount points for the ratchet and you can replace the ratchet\strap combo with Sidi
mico adjustable straps. It is hard to find without the expensive CF sole, and hard to find in a
color other than white (in the US) but these are wonderful shoes.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes SH-M082
> now and realizing they weigh about twice as
much
> as road shoes, I'd like to get something more fitting my racer.
>
> I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to
be
> the best I can find locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does
> anybody ever use the adjustable sole on the Sidi's or is it just a sales gimmick?
>
> Leave out the advice that the one that fits best will be the best. I will
of
> course make my final decision based on the fit. However if the fit is
equal
> I'd like to get the lightest shoe with the best functionality. I intend on doing a couple of
> longer recreational races this summer. One 300 km race
and
> a 4 day stage, plus of course a couple of shorter TT's
>
> --
> Replace the dots to reply
>
> Perre

I have some shimano 214's, they are the best shoes I've had in 20 years of racing. They replaced
212's, which WERE the best shoes I've ever had. Greg Miller

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike.
I'm
> using my MTB shoes SH-M082 now and realizing they weigh about twice
as much
> as road shoes, I'd like to get something more fitting my racer.
>
> I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they
seem to be
> the best I can find locally. Does anybody have any experience of
these
> shoes?

I don't know much about the Shimanos other than they all fit my kids well though I could never find
a pair that fit my narrow heel and wide ball. (Go ahead and take your cheap shot Henry.)

The Sidi's are very expensive here and I bought a pair that felt pretty good. I've found that they
give me a lot of foot pain after about 40 miles so I switched to Pearl Izumi.

The Sidi's were very well made and aside from having to tighten the plastic catch every third ride I
haven't had a problem with them.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:11:33 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes SH-M082
>now and realizing they weigh about twice as much as road shoes, I'd like to get something more
>fitting my racer.
>
>I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to be the best I can find
>locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does anybody ever use the
>adjustable sole on the Sidi's or is it just a sales gimmick?

Last summer I replaced my ten year old Sidi G-2s with Energys (Energies?). I got the same size (41)
and I'm still hoping that eventually they'll be as comfortable as the G-2s. I'm not especially
impressed with the "string trimmer" adjustments and haven't even touched the sole adjustment. A
friend of mine told me he lost one of the little turnbuckles and never noticed any difference.

In trying to get more comfort I tried replacing the liners with Dr. Scholls, liners I've been using
in my G-2s for years. I just checked and since the Dr. Scholls are still in there (I ride mostly
with MTB shoes in the winter) I guess they were a success.

Best thing that can be said is that the G-2s lasted ten years (and are still available for bad
weather riding) so one can assume Energys will give long service. I've no experience with
Shimano shoes.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

> I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike

What size feet does your roadbike have? Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Monty

> I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike

What size feet does your roadbike have? Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Monty

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:11:33 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes
> >SH-M082 now and realizing they weigh about twice as
much
> >as road shoes, I'd like to get something more fitting my racer.
> >
> >I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to
be
> >the best I can find locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does
> >anybody ever use the adjustable sole on the Sidi's or
is
> >it just a sales gimmick?
>
> Last summer I replaced my ten year old Sidi G-2s with Energys (Energies?). I got the same size
> (41) and I'm still hoping that eventually they'll be as comfortable as the G-2s. I'm not
> especially impressed with the "string trimmer" adjustments and haven't even touched the sole
> adjustment. A friend of mine told me he lost one of the little turnbuckles and never noticed any
> difference.
>
> In trying to get more comfort I tried replacing the liners with Dr. Scholls, liners I've been
> using in my G-2s for years. I just checked and since the Dr. Scholls are still in there (I ride
> mostly with MTB shoes in the winter) I guess they were a success.
>
> Best thing that can be said is that the G-2s lasted ten years (and are still available for bad
> weather riding) so one can assume Energys will give long service. I've no experience with
> Shimano shoes.
>

I have a pair of G3s and a pair of Technos. The Technos were the predecessor to the new fishing line
system that Sidi is using. I liked the straps much better!

I have owned two pair of Shimano mtn shoes over the years. They seem to last well, fit good, and
generally do the job. I haven't tried the road Shimanos, but I do have a pair of Nike Poggios with
the carbon soles that I really like. Way stiff, way light, and seem to be holding up.

After fit, then light weight is my criteria for choosing among several brands of anything.

Mike
>
> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

I agree, I was happy in Sidi shoes for many years until I tried the Energy 2. I started to have
nerve and tendon problems on the tops of my feet because of the new strap design. I now ride Carnac.

Eric.

Chris M wrote:
>
> If the Sidi shoe fits you, stay away from G4 and Energy. The strap creates hot spots at a
> sensitive nerve branch. If you like to keep your straps tight, this may cause problems for you. I
> have seen close-up photos of pros with the older G3 style strap (Sidi makes custom shoes for most
> of the pros).
>
> To support my point, and give you an alternative, you will notice that it has been revised again
> new "Ergo 1" back to the G3 style closure. Be warned that the Ergo 1 has a CF sole and the price
> is close to $300.
>
> The adjustable sole (the spinning doodad on the bottom) seems to be a gimmick. I know many people
> who say they can't tell any difference. Mine fell out and I did not notice. It is worth noting
> that the Sidi shoes have the best straps.
>
> You might look in to the Ultimax by DMT. They get rave reviews from everyone I know that has tried
> them. They have 2 mount points for the ratchet and you can replace the ratchet\strap combo with
> Sidi mico adjustable straps. It is hard to find without the expensive CF sole, and hard to find in
> a color other than white (in the US) but these are wonderful shoes.
>
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes
> > SH-M082 now and realizing they weigh about twice as
> much
> > as road shoes, I'd like to get something more fitting my racer.
> >
> > I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to
> be
> > the best I can find locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does
> > anybody ever use the adjustable sole on the Sidi's or is it just a sales gimmick?
> >
> > Leave out the advice that the one that fits best will be the best. I will
> of
> > course make my final decision based on the fit. However if the fit is
> equal
> > I'd like to get the lightest shoe with the best functionality. I intend on doing a couple of
> > longer recreational races this summer. One 300 km race
> and
> > a 4 day stage, plus of course a couple of shorter TT's
> >
> > --
> > Replace the dots to reply
> >
> > Perre
> >
> >

In article <[email protected]>, Eric Harvey <[email protected]> wrote:

> I agree, I was happy in Sidi shoes for many years until I tried the Energy 2. I started to
> have nerve and tendon problems on the tops of my feet because of the new strap design. I now
> ride Carnac.
>
> Eric.

I've been using Carnacs (the same two pairs, actually) since about '94. I've got thousands of miles
on them. The toe box was a bit bigger than the Sidis I checked out, and that is helpful for me. I
did get a set of custom orthotics made that help tip my feet a little, which helps my knees feel
much better.

--
tanx, Howard

Read. Think. Type. Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

"Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> > I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike
>
> What size feet does your roadbike have? Sorry, I couldn't resist....
>
> Monty

It's actually a dependency of speed. I start out with a 58CT frame with big feet and the faster I go
the smaller the feet gets. At about 80 mph I'm flying and stick the feet up under the chainstay.
They are small enough to fit by that time.

Perre

I wouldn't get Shimanos if you get hot foot. Toe box is too small. I'm still looking for a
replacement for my Shimanos.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> I wouldn't get Shimanos if you get hot foot. Toe box is too small. I'm still looking for a
> replacement for my Shimanos.

So what are you looking for? Doesn't the toe box size depend on your foot. I have no problems with
my Shimano MTB shoes SH-MO82. After about 60 miles maybe I feel some pressure in the balls of my
feet if I don't wiggle my toes regularly. I blame that on the SPD pedals more than the shoe though.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

I rode for 5 years and probably 50,000 miles in a single pair of Sidi Genius
3s. They were awesome. I still use them for my indoor workouts. After all those years and miles,
the velcro finally started to lose its grip and the edges around the ankles were splitting.
Note that there was not a single split seam anywhere.

I replaced them with a set of Sidi Energy shoes. They were OK, but it was a pain to release the
dial-activated/fishing line closure system. Also, I believe the little stiffness adjuster in the
sole WAS INDEED just a gimmick. I couldn't tell any difference and, after the first week, one of
them just froze up and couldn't be moved anymore. I got creamed by an idiot teenage driver talking
on a cell phone and that pair of shoes were cut from my feet in the ER. They were only a few
months old.

I just got a set of Sidi Genius 4s and I've got about 400 miles on them (all the miles I have out on
the road since I got cleared to ride by the doc). They seem quite comfortable -- just like the old
Genius 3s to me. You do have to take care not to over-tighten them.

Somewhere along the line I tried a set of Nike -- their high-end road shoe with the carbon sole. I
tried them before I got the Sidi Energys. I'm glad I got them from my LBS. They were awful and he
took them back after I rode in them three times.

I had a set of top-end Shimano shoes years ago. No comparison to the Sidis. They stretched out
pretty badly. Couldn't say that would hold for today's models.

Bob C. "Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> If the Sidi shoe fits you, stay away from G4 and Energy. The strap creates hot spots at a
> sensitive nerve branch. If you like to keep your straps tight, this may cause problems for you. I
> have seen close-up photos of
pros
> with the older G3 style strap (Sidi makes custom shoes for most of the pros).
>
> To support my point, and give you an alternative, you will notice that it has been revised again
> new "Ergo 1" back to the G3 style closure. Be
warned
> that the Ergo 1 has a CF sole and the price is close to $300.
>
> The adjustable sole (the spinning doodad on the bottom) seems to be a gimmick. I know many people
> who say they can't tell any difference. Mine fell out and I did not notice. It is worth noting
> that the Sidi shoes have the best straps.
>
> You might look in to the Ultimax by DMT. They get rave reviews from
everyone
> I know that has tried them. They have 2 mount points for the ratchet and
you
> can replace the ratchet\strap combo with Sidi mico adjustable straps. It
is
> hard to find without the expensive CF sole, and hard to find in a color other than white (in the
> US) but these are wonderful shoes.
>
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm currently looking into getting a pair of shoes for my roadbike. I'm using my MTB shoes
> > SH-M082 now and realizing they weigh about twice as
> much
> > as road shoes, I'd like to get something more fitting my racer.
> >
> > I've looked into the SH-R214 and Sidi Energy shoes. Anyways they seem to
> be
> > the best I can find locally. Does anybody have any experience of these shoes? For instance does
> > anybody ever use the adjustable sole on the Sidi's or
is
> > it just a sales gimmick?
> >
> > Leave out the advice that the one that fits best will be the best. I
will
> of
> > course make my final decision based on the fit. However if the fit is
> equal
> > I'd like to get the lightest shoe with the best functionality. I intend
on
> > doing a couple of longer recreational races this summer. One 300 km race
> and
> > a 4 day stage, plus of course a couple of shorter TT's
> >
> > --
> > Replace the dots to reply
> >
> > Perre
> >
> >
>

On 2/14/03 7:10 PM, in article [email protected], "psycholist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Somewhere along the line I tried a set of Nike -- their high-end road shoe with the carbon sole. I
> tried them before I got the Sidi Energys. I'm glad I got them from my LBS. They were awful and he
> took them back after I rode in them three times.
>
> I had a set of top-end Shimano shoes years ago. No comparison to the Sidis. They stretched out
> pretty badly. Couldn't say that would hold for today's models.

It doesn't I used the "older" Shimano high end road shoes. Because the footprint of the sole was not
as wide as the newer ones, there was more "wrap-around" of the material, causing more stretch. The
newer ones are GREAT. I notice the high end Nikes' use their carbon sole now

>
> Bob C.

"TheMobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >Somewhere along the line I tried a set of Nike -- their >high-end road
shoe
> with the carbon sole. I tried them >before I got the Sidi Energys. I'm
glad I
> got them from my >LBS. They were awful and he took them back after I rode in them three times.
> Nike Hautacams: made by DMT but designed (poorly) by Nike.

Tell me about it. I was looking at some discounted Hautacams while trying to find a good price on
the DMTs. The design of the Hautacam is awful. I could tell before I even rode with them that they
were torture on the top where I keep my shoes the tightest.

> here are lances "new" Nike cycling shoes, also made by DMT but essentially a copy of their Utlimax
> model: http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/03LanceShoes

The black is just as ugly as the blue. I wonder who makes that new strap. It look just like the
new Carnacs.

>If the Sidi shoe fits you, stay away from G4 and Energy. The strap creates hot spots at a sensitive
>nerve branch. If you like to keep your straps tight, this may cause problems for you.

I had Sidi Revolutions for 12 years. then Genius 3's, and then Energy 2's. Haven't had any probs at
all with hot spots. rode 7000 miles last year in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.