shoes

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by The Laws, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. The Laws

    The Laws Guest

    I don't understand why the first thing you are told when you
    have diabetes, is wear shoes. I know if you have neuropathy
    and poor circulation, any injury could be very hard to heal.
    I do have neuropathy in both legs, diagnosed years and years
    ago before I developed diabetes, and I have always spent
    most of my time in bare feet. I still heal fast when I get a
    scratch or blister on legs or feet, and I find it almost
    impossible to get shoes that are comfortable more than an
    hour or two. I haven't heard anything that convinces me I
    need to wear shoes in the house. Is there some other reason
    that you know of, or is it just part of the standard
    universal directions that are given out with the standard
    weight lose diet they give to diabetics ? Kay

    --
    All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

    Tags:

  2. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "The Laws" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    > you have
    diabetes,
    > is wear shoes.

    Because you could have Neuropathy and not know it.

    >I know if you have neuropathy and poor circulation, any
    >injury could be very hard to heal. I do have neuropathy in
    >both legs, diagnosed years and years ago before I developed
    >diabetes, and I have always spent most of my time in bare
    >feet. I still heal fast when I get a scratch or blister on
    >legs or feet, and I find it almost impossible to get shoes
    >that are comfortable more than an hour or two. I haven't
    >heard anything that convinces me I need to wear shoes in
    >the house. Is there
    some
    > other reason that you know of, or is it just part of the
    > standard universal directions that are given out with the
    > standard weight lose
    diet
    > they give to diabetics ? Kay

    The most common cause of amputation in diabetics is from an
    infection that never healed properly. There is also
    something called charcofoot that diabetics can get where
    the bones of the foot break. Shoes would afford extra
    protection for that. If your shoes are uncomfortable, then
    something is wrong. Most likely they don't fit right.
    Making a tracing of your foot and cut it out. Hold it up to
    the bottom of your shoes. If it extends beyond your shoes,
    then they do not fit right.

    I too have Neuropathy and some other medical problems. I
    can't wear most shoes. I am able to wear Birkenstocks, Ryka,
    New Balance, and also Romika with no problems at all. I now
    have a wide foot, and I didn't before. You need to have your
    feet measured at least every year. Age and also diabetes can
    change the shape and size of your foot.

    You may have fast healing wounds now, but that could change.
    I can have wounds that heal very quickly or very slowly. It
    all depends. I battled leg ulcers for years because the
    underlying cause had not been diagnosed. Once I got on
    proper treatment for that, they healed. Had an open wound on
    my arm for nearly a year. A recent shot of Kenalog cleared
    it right up.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 03:55:56 GMT, "The Laws" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    >you have diabetes, is wear shoes. I know if you have
    >neuropathy and poor circulation, any injury could be very
    >hard to heal. I do have neuropathy in both legs, diagnosed
    >years and years ago before I developed diabetes, and I have
    >always spent most of my time in bare feet. I still heal
    >fast when I get a scratch or blister on legs or feet, and I
    >find it almost impossible to get shoes that are comfortable
    >more than an hour or two. I haven't heard anything that
    >convinces me I need to wear shoes in the house. Is there
    >some other reason that you know of, or is it just part of
    >the standard universal directions that are given out with
    >the standard weight lose diet they give to diabetics ? Kay

    Hi Kay

    It's a little like insurance; you hope to hell you'll
    never need it but you're bloody grateful you've got it
    when you do.

    My A1c and all other indicators are fine at the moment. It
    still took a significantly long time for a recent ant-sting
    in the arch of my foot to heal.

    Hopefully Guy or Mack will drop in and give you their
    opinion.

    It's still your choice, and I still forget occasionally. For
    'round the house I wear a pair of good leather slippers -
    light and easy to slip on and off. I keep a pair of sneakers
    with velcro fasteners by the back door for the yard. Later
    in the winter I'll wear ugg-boots.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.

  4. Herman Rubin

    Herman Rubin Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    The Laws <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    >you have diabetes, is wear shoes. I know if you have
    >neuropathy and poor circulation, any injury could be very
    >hard to heal. I do have neuropathy in both legs, diagnosed
    >years and years ago before I developed diabetes, and I have
    >always spent most of my time in bare feet. I still heal
    >fast when I get a scratch or blister on legs or feet, and I
    >find it almost impossible to get shoes that are comfortable
    >more than an hour or two. I haven't heard anything that
    >convinces me I need to wear shoes in the house. Is there
    >some other reason that you know of, or is it just part of
    >the standard universal directions that are given out with
    >the standard weight lose diet they give to diabetics ? Kay

    The danger is if you have the type of neuropathy which
    might lead to a puncture or other injury which would be
    undetected. If your sensations are strong enough to
    detect the dangers, going barefoot in the house might be
    quite acceptable; I do it, and my doctors agree that it
    is OK in my case.

    As for getting comfortable shoes, this has been a problem
    for me for decades. If you cannot find such, and this means
    that you would be willing to wear them right from the
    store, no "breaking in", I suggest you see someone who
    regularly treats people with this problem. Cheap shoes are
    unlikely to fit.
    --
    This address is for information only. I do not claim that
    these views are those of the Statistics Department or of

  5. MâCk©®

    MâCk©® Guest

    wrote:

    >I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    >you have diabetes, is wear shoes. I know if you have
    >neuropathy and poor circulation, any injury could be very
    >hard to heal. I do have neuropathy in both legs, diagnosed
    >years and years ago before I developed diabetes, and I have
    >always spent most of my time in bare feet. I still heal
    >fast when I get a scratch or blister on legs or feet, and I
    >find it almost impossible to get shoes that are comfortable
    >more than an hour or two. I haven't heard anything that
    >convinces me I need to wear shoes in the house. Is there
    >some other reason that you know of, or is it just part of
    >the standard universal directions that are given out with
    >the standard weight lose diet they give to diabetics ? Kay

    It's good that you heal quickly. Keep a very close eye on
    that. Even a simple infection or minor cut can turn very
    nasty in diabetics and cost you a foot. You may escape the
    risk for decades, and then get one cut that leads to a
    severe infection.

    Your feet. Your loss of feet. Your choice.

    Mâck©® Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
    http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
    Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
    strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

    Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

    NO C-heney NO A-shcroft NO R-umsfeld NO B-ush

  6. Rainbow

    Rainbow Guest

    I wear alternative shoes, such as Doc Martens, & Creepers,
    to name just 2, which really are sturdy and really help.
    But nothing is so comfortable as my clown shoes, (Most of
    you know this is my profession), custom fitted, & lovingly
    hand stitched. They are so comfortable inside and are
    structured so they hug your foot, and are sturdy and
    reliable. I can't work an 8 hour day in regular shoes, but
    I can walk 10 miles in these and the next day, my feet are
    okay and I can do it again ! The shoe guy doesn't make
    regular styles, but I wish he did ! Somehow 17 inch long
    purple and pink Mary Janes wouldn't go with everything ...
    yuh think !? I but all regular shoes at the end of the day
    when my feet are swollen ! Rainbow

  7. You could go for years and not have any problems going
    barefoot. Then one day everything changes. You'll get a
    small cut on the bottom of your foot that you don't notice.
    Soon it gets infected and the next thing you know you've got
    gangrene and you're hospitalized and facing debreedment
    surgery and possible amputation.

    It happened, and is still happening, to me. I've had both
    great toes amputated. Also the right side of my left foot,
    the number 2 toe and metatarsel. I've had 6 surgeries since
    February and may be looking at a 7th if the last surgical
    incision doesn't heal soon. During my last surgery my blood
    pressure dropped to 60/30. Other highlights have been
    several very unpleasant and embarrassing medical tests,
    using a bedpan for 2 days because I couldn't move my left
    leg to get to the restroom due to a spinal nerve block,
    depression, thoughts of suicide, being in hospital isolation
    because of an antibiotic resistant bacteria, giving myself
    Vancomycin at home through an IV picc line, and financial
    ruin due to only working about 2 months this year. The list
    just goes on and on. Sound like fun?

    TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET. Diabetes is the number 1 cause of
    non traumatic amputation in the United States. Think hard
    about that ... NUMBER 1 CAUSE.

    Wear your shoes. Protect your feet. Examine and clean them
    carefully every single day. Control your blood glucose
    levels because bacteria thrive in a sugar rich environment.

    Be careful.

  8. Bj

    Bj Guest

    "Herman Rubin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > As for getting comfortable shoes, this has been a problem
    > for me for decades. If you cannot find such, and this
    > means that you would be willing to wear them right from
    > the store, no "breaking in", I suggest you see someone who
    > regularly treats people with this problem. Cheap shoes are
    > unlikely to fit.
    > --

    I've read that one reason people find their shoes
    uncomfortable is that they are actually wearing the
    WRONG SIZE!

    Forget what # size you are used to, try an assortment.
    Different brands & styles may mean different sizes for you.
    Also get your foot properly measured for size to find a good
    starting point.

    I have shoes in three different sizes that fit me right now,
    plus my feet seem to have grown just in the past five years.
    When I do the "seasonal wardrobe shift" I have to try out
    all the old shoes to see if they still work for me -- even
    if they were fine just a few months ago! bj

  9. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "The Laws" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    > > you have
    > diabetes,
    > > is wear shoes.
    >
    > Because you could have Neuropathy and not know it.

    Apparently she DOES know it though. As she says " I do have
    neuropathy in both legs, diagnosed years and years ago
    before I developed diabetes,"

    > >I know if you have neuropathy and poor circulation, any
    > >injury could be very hard to heal. I do have neuropathy
    > >in both legs, diagnosed years and years ago before I
    > >developed diabetes, and I have always spent most of my
    > >time in bare feet. I still heal fast when I get
    > > scratch or blister on legs or feet, and I find it almost
    > > impossible to
    get
    > > shoes that are comfortable more than an hour or two. I
    > > haven't heard anything that convinces me I need to wear
    > > shoes in the house. Is there
    > some
    > > other reason that you know of, or is it just part of the
    > > standard universal directions that are given out with
    > > the standard weight lose
    > diet
    > > they give to diabetics ? Kay
    >
    > The most common cause of amputation in diabetics is from
    > an infection that never healed properly. There is also
    > something called charcofoot that diabetics can get where
    > the bones of the foot break. Shoes would afford extra
    > protection for that. If your shoes are uncomfortable, then
    something
    > is wrong. Most likely they don't fit right. Making a
    > tracing of your
    foot
    > and cut it out. Hold it up to the bottom of your shoes. If
    > it extends beyond your shoes, then they do not fit right.

    Or better yet, go to a GOOD shoe emporium and have sme
    shoes MADE to fit properly. Like the saying goes, if you
    can only have two things, they should be good shoes and a
    good bed, because if you're not in one of them, you're in
    the other":)

    Beav

  10. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    > On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 03:55:56 GMT, "The Laws" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >>I don't understand why the first thing you are told when
    >>you have diabetes, is wear shoes. ..... I find it almost
    >>impossible to get shoes that are comfortable more than an
    >>hour or two. I haven't heard anything that convinces me I
    >>need to wear shoes in the house.

    How about a compromise:

    1. Slippers, or something else that prevents injury to
    the soles. OR
    2. Be religious about keeping things off the floor of
    your house.

    (In my house, a contractor who will never get my business
    again has made it rather easy for bare feet to identify the
    locations of carpet tacks.)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  11. Dolkian

    Dolkian Guest

    I have never found my shoes funny. I do Earth Shoes the most
    comfortably built shoes on earth, as it were.

    rainbow wrote:

    > I wear alternative shoes, such as Doc Martens, & Creepers,
    > to name just 2, which really are sturdy and really help.
    > But nothing is so comfortable as my clown shoes, (Most of
    > you know this is my profession), custom fitted, & lovingly
    > hand stitched. They are so comfortable inside and are
    > structured so they hug your foot, and are sturdy and
    > reliable. I can't work an 8 hour day in regular shoes, but
    > I can walk 10 miles in these and the next day, my feet are
    > okay and I can do it again ! The shoe guy doesn't make
    > regular styles, but I wish he did ! Somehow 17 inch long
    > purple and pink Mary Janes wouldn't go with everything ...
    > yuh think !? I but all regular shoes at the end of the day
    > when my feet are swollen ! Rainbow

  12. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    I'm an artist with a lot of artist friends. Your clown shoes
    would probably be a big hit here. ;>) c

    "rainbow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3116.bay.webtv.net...
    > I wear alternative shoes, such as Doc Martens, & Creepers,
    > to name just 2, which really are sturdy and really help.
    > But nothing is so comfortable as my clown shoes, (Most of
    > you know this is my profession), custom fitted, & lovingly
    > hand stitched. They are so comfortable inside and are
    > structured so they hug your foot, and are sturdy and
    > reliable. I can't work an 8 hour day in regular shoes, but
    > I can walk 10 miles in these and the next day, my feet are
    > okay and I can do it again ! The shoe guy doesn't make
    > regular styles, but I wish he did ! Somehow 17 inch long
    > purple and pink Mary Janes wouldn't go with everything ...
    > yuh think !? I but all regular shoes at the end of the day
    > when my feet are swollen ! Rainbow

  13. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:01:44 -0500, [email protected] (formerly known as
    daveosaurus) wrote:

    >You could go for years and not have any problems going
    >barefoot. Then one day everything changes. You'll get a
    >small cut on the bottom of your foot that you don't notice.
    >Soon it gets infected and the next thing you know you've
    >got gangrene and you're hospitalized and facing debreedment
    >surgery and possible amputation.
    >
    >It happened, and is still happening, to me. I've had both
    >great toes amputated. Also the right side of my left foot,
    >the number 2 toe and metatarsel. I've had 6 surgeries since
    >February and may be looking at a 7th if the last surgical
    >incision doesn't heal soon. During my last surgery my blood
    >pressure dropped to 60/30. Other highlights have been
    >several very unpleasant and embarrassing medical tests,
    >using a bedpan for 2 days because I couldn't move my left
    >leg to get to the restroom due to a spinal nerve block,
    >depression, thoughts of suicide, being in hospital
    >isolation because of an antibiotic resistant bacteria,
    >giving myself Vancomycin at home through an IV picc line,
    >and financial ruin due to only working about 2 months this
    >year. The list just goes on and on. Sound like fun?
    >
    >TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET. Diabetes is the number 1 cause of
    >non traumatic amputation in the United States. Think hard
    >about that ... NUMBER 1 CAUSE.
    >
    >Wear your shoes. Protect your feet. Examine and clean them
    >carefully every single day. Control your blood glucose
    >levels because bacteria thrive in a sugar rich environment.
    >
    >Be careful.

    Thanks Dave.

    A salutary lesson.

    Off to put my slippers on.

  14. On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:54:06 +1000, you , Alan <[email protected]>, wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:01:44 -0500, [email protected]
    >(formerly known as daveosaurus) wrote:

    >>Wear your shoes. Protect your feet.

    >>Be careful.
    >

    >Thanks Dave.
    >
    >A salutary lesson.
    >
    >Off to put my slippers on.

    I second what Dave has said - there's a good reason why I
    used to use the address "[email protected]<deleted>.<also deleted>"
    a couple years back ..... hasn't degenerated to 8- or 7-
    yet, but it came very close this year, and I doubt that I'll
    still have all remaining nine by the time I eventually
    shuffle off ...

    --

    ]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
    are no longer in stock" ]-

  15. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    Do they barter paintings?

    <joke> c

    "rainbow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3118.bay.webtv.net...
    > Yeah, but, the price is prohibitive .. at almost $400 !!!
    > ( some go higher than that !) Rainbow

  16. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    What great photos. Brought a smile to my face.

    My paintings:

    www.plazaearth.com/philo

    I have a page with new work on it too but I have to find
    the URL. c

    "rainbow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3114.bay.webtv.net...
    > Yeah, I wish they bartered, ... see mine @
    > www.honeybunchentertainment.com and go to 2004 Great Clown
    > Adventure pictures and look at our feet. Rainbow

  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:38:40 -0700, [email protected] (rainbow)
    wrote:

    >Yeah, I wish they bartered, ... see mine @
    >www.honeybunchentertainment.com and go to 2004 Great Clown
    >Adventure pictures and look at our feet. Rainbow

    Not hard to understand why you call yourself Rainbow in that
    costume :)

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.

  18. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    Found it.

    http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/practiceweb/ c

    "Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What great photos. Brought a smile to my face.
    >
    > My paintings:
    >
    > www.plazaearth.com/philo
    >
    > I have a page with new work on it too but I have to find
    > the URL. c
    >
    > "rainbow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > 3114.bay.webtv.net...
    > > Yeah, I wish they bartered, ... see mine @
    > > www.honeybunchentertainment.com and go to 2004 Great
    > > Clown Adventure pictures and look at our feet. Rainbow

  19. I am a shoe fanatic, but my feet also swell :( I would love your clown
    shoes! I buy most of my shoes at REI. Very good fit and comfortable :)