Shop owner abuses bike

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
They do.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

That is pretty bad. Does it take that long to get a bucket of warm
soapy water and a rag and wash the bike?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> wrong. They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by
> just dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably
> would have been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it
> seems to work so well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated.
> Still... if there's a specail hell for people who don't take as good
> a care of their really nice bikes as they should... I could be a
> candidate. I did, however, finally get around to installing a new
> chain & cleaning things up last night.

Is that a road bike? Very nice! (My mtb drivetrains look like that; the
Mad One has stayed cleaner despite zero maintenance.)

Bill "WL Dribbler" S.

> Is that a road bike? Very nice! (My mtb drivetrains look like that; the
> Mad One has stayed cleaner despite zero maintenance.)

Yes, that's a road bike. My "rain" bike is a whole lot cleaner. Or was;
right now, the bike in the photo is looking pretty nice.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On Apr 8, 1:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

That's about what my Surly Long Haul Trucker looked like after a
winter full of Seattle commuting - 35 miles a day in the rain.. I was
finally prompted to clean it when I couldn't backpedal because the
tension pulley was too gunked up. I now have ball bearing pulleys.
Chain and cassette cleaned up pretty well, though. I figure I'll
change them at the same time sometime before my cross-state tour this
summer.

On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

I've never had a drivetrain 5% as nasty as that! Didn't matter if I
was using motor oil in suspension, dry lube, or wax. How long does it
take to quickly wipe off the crud on the chain after lubing??

cue choir:
http://tinyurl.com/2p4sl4

> I've never had a drivetrain 5% as nasty as that! Didn't matter if I
> was using motor oil in suspension, dry lube, or wax. How long does it
> take to quickly wipe off the crud on the chain after lubing??

I'm not a morning person. I get up for my 7:30am ride at 7:05. You want me
to get up at 7:03am so I have time to deal with the chain??? :>)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On 2007-04-08, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

The thing is the crud finds its way down between the sprockets where
it's not really doing anything, and onto the jockey wheels but away from
the teeth. You may get reduced chain life like that (grinding paste
etc.) but otherwise it doesn't cause too much of a problem, you're
right. One of the strengths of the basic design really. The advice to
people who can't be bothered to do much maintenance perhaps should be
lots of oil without cleaning after all. Better than the chain going
completely rusty which you quite often see on unloved bikes.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> wrong. They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by
> just dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably
> would have been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it
> seems to work so well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated.
> Still... if there's a specail hell for people who don't take as good
> a care of their really nice bikes as they should... I could be a
> candidate. I did, however, finally get around to installing a new
> chain & cleaning things up last night.
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hey that's not so bad. The point where it gets bad is when you need to take
out the screwdriver to scrape off the donut-shaped "cake" enveloping the
pulleys. And the donut around the 11t or 12t.

I started using less and less lube on my commuter... Now I put just enough
to prevent squeaking. Stays dry, keeps my pants clean, stays quiet.
--
Phil

On Apr 8, 6:13 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've never had a drivetrain 5% as nasty as that! Didn't matter if I
> > was using motor oil in suspension, dry lube, or wax. How long does it
> > take to quickly wipe off the crud on the chain after lubing??

> I'm not a morning person. I get up for my 7:30am ride at 7:05. You want me
> to get up at 7:03am so I have time to deal with the chain??? :>)

Do it once per week on Sunday in lieu of 9am service--it's a religious
thing. Wear your Park Stole (tm).

> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> >> wrong.
> >> They do.

> >>http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

> >> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> >> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> >> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> >> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's
> >> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really
> >> nice
> >> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally
> >> get
> >> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

> > I've never had a drivetrain 5% as nasty as that! Didn't matter if I
> > was using motor oil in suspension, dry lube, or wax. How long does it
> > take to quickly wipe off the crud on the chain after lubing??

> > cue choir:
> >http://tinyurl.com/2p4sl4

You've ruined that bike. You'll have to grab another new one off the shelf.
Since you are getting a new bike, because you ruined that
one, you can donate that bike to me. I only have 4 bikes, but when should I
come and pick it up.
G :)
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> wrong. They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally
> get around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Troll! This cannot be real. The photographs are too well made to be done
by a person who would neglect a bike. They are sharp, well lit and mostly
well composed. If you really are a store owner, I suggest you hang these
prints for the public to admire, and then turn it into a perpetual rotating
show by you and your customers, of bicycle-related photography.

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:09:12 -0700 in rec.bicycles.tech, "Mike
Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.

Not anywhere near as bad as our bikes up here in Rain
Country(tm), where the snow is now gone off the roads but the
winter grit remains, mixed with the magnesium chloride they spray
to melt snow. it really sticks to everything when wet, and is
impossible to remove when dry.

On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Oh, that's just gross.

Veloben

On Apr 8, 4:35 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is that a road bike? Very nice! (My mtb drivetrains look like that; the
> > Mad One has stayed cleaner despite zero maintenance.)

> Yes, that's a road bike. My "rain" bike is a whole lot cleaner. Or was;
> right now, the bike in the photo is looking pretty nice.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> >> wrong. They do.

> >>http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

> >> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by
> >> just dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably
> >> would have been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it
> >> seems to work so well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated.
> >> Still... if there's a specail hell for people who don't take as good
> >> a care of their really nice bikes as they should... I could be a
> >> candidate. I did, however, finally get around to installing a new
> >> chain & cleaning things up last night.

> > Is that a road bike? Very nice! (My mtb drivetrains look like that; the
> > Mad One has stayed cleaner despite zero maintenance.)

> > Bill "WL Dribbler" S.

Well geee Mike, after 50 or so hours a week of working on other's
bicycles, I'm not keen to work on my own either.

One of the reasons I got a fixie-so I wouldn't have to clean it.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> wrong. They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

> Still... if there's a specail hell for people who don't take as good a
> care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate.

Well, if this is considered to be seriously dirty by the r.b.t.
community I'll better not post pictures of my bikes. To me this looks
just like a bike that is used regularly and not only on sunny days.
Bikes are for riding, not for spending hours cleaning the drivetrain.

Günther

On Apr 10, 4:42 pm, Günther Schwarz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
> > wrong. They do.

> >http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
> > Still... if there's a specail hell for people who don't take as good a
> > care of their really nice
> > bikes as they should... I could be a candidate.

> Well, if this is considered to be seriously dirty by the r.b.t.
> community I'll better not post pictures of my bikes. To me this looks
> just like a bike that is used regularly and not only on sunny days.

Looks to me like a bike that's lubed sloppily.

> Bikes are for riding, not for spending hours cleaning the drivetrain.

Wiping the chain with a rag after a rain ride, and spending ten
minutes lubing per week aren't a hardship as far as I'm concerned.
I've done tons of commuting in winter slop without having build-up
like Mike's.

On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> They do.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
>
> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hi Mike,

Well, can't you just delegate your personal bike maintenance/repairs
to your staff?

I fuss over my bike because I have the time, and this kind of thing is
in my nature. I don't mind it - J.

[email protected] wrote:
> Well, can't you just delegate your personal bike maintenance/repairs
> to your staff?
> I fuss over my bike because I have the time, and this kind of thing is
> in my nature. I don't mind it - J.

Let the guys TOUCH MY BIKE? I don't think so!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Apr 10, 8:14 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was wrong.
> >> They do.

> >>http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

> >> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by just
> >> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would have
> >> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to work so
> >> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if there's a
> >> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really nice
> >> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however, finally get
> >> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Well, can't you just delegate your personal bike maintenance/repairs
> > to your staff?
> > I fuss over my bike because I have the time, and this kind of thing is
> > in my nature. I don't mind it - J.

> Let the guys TOUCH MY BIKE? I don't think so!
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

You are right Andrew,

I have found that no one is going to do the right thing to my bike (as
defined by me). I have my own ideas about what should be done, and I
do not want to take the time to explain it to someone else. It is
easier and faster to just do it myself.

When it comes to having a LBS do the work, no hourly worker is going
to fuss over my bike the way I need it fussed over. If he were to do
that, his boss would surely fire him for being too slow - J.