Shop owner abuses bike

> Well, can't you just delegate your personal bike maintenance/repairs
> to your staff?
>
> I fuss over my bike because I have the time, and this kind of thing is
> in my nature. I don't mind it - J.

I started as a wrench, and will always be a wrench. My bike is my job, no
one else's. Even if it means it doesn't get the maintenance & TLC it
deserves.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>>Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
>>wrong.
>>They do.
>>
>>http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

> Is there something unusual about those photos? ;-)
>
> Mark "must be a professional thing" Hickey

Funny how many of us take much better care of our customers needs than our
own. Partly because we put them first, and partly because, after too many
years, you adopt a practical attitude that, on our own bikes, if the wheels
& cranks turn ok, it's safe to ride. Time spent making our own bikes pretty
is time we don't get to spend riding. Could be more of an issue for those of
us who can ride year-round, vs those who have a winter so nasty that time
spent maintaining a bike doesn't take away from anything better.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was
>>>wrong.
>>>They do.
>>>
>>>http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning

>> Is there something unusual about those photos? ;-)
>>
>> Mark "must be a professional thing" Hickey

>Funny how many of us take much better care of our customers needs than our
>own. Partly because we put them first, and partly because, after too many
>years, you adopt a practical attitude that, on our own bikes, if the wheels
>& cranks turn ok, it's safe to ride. Time spent making our own bikes pretty
>is time we don't get to spend riding. Could be more of an issue for those of
>us who can ride year-round, vs those who have a winter so nasty that time
>spent maintaining a bike doesn't take away from anything better.

Exactly. Time spent cleaning the bike is time I'd rather spend doing
something else. I have to admit that my drivetrain never gets quite
to the - ahem - character of yours, but that's mainly because I'm
riding in the desert. I will admit that I can't remember the last
time I actually washed my own bike though. It's been through more
than a couple rain rides, and it shows (though somehow it doesn't look
quite as bad, being brushed titanium). The happy thing is, dirt
doesn't really slow me down. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Funny how many of us take much better care of our customers needs than our
> own. Partly because we put them first, and partly because, after too many
> years, you adopt a practical attitude that, on our own bikes, if the wheels
> & cranks turn ok, it's safe to ride. Time spent making our own bikes pretty
> is time we don't get to spend riding. Could be more of an issue for those of
> us who can ride year-round, vs those who have a winter so nasty that time
> spent maintaining a bike doesn't take away from anything better.

Shoemaker's children?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Is there something unusual about those photos? ;-)
> >> Mark "must be a professional thing" Hickey

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Funny how many of us take much better care of our customers needs than our
> > own. Partly because we put them first, and partly because, after too many
> > years, you adopt a practical attitude that, on our own bikes, if the wheels
> > & cranks turn ok, it's safe to ride. Time spent making our own bikes pretty
> > is time we don't get to spend riding. Could be more of an issue for those of
> > us who can ride year-round, vs those who have a winter so nasty that time
> > spent maintaining a bike doesn't take away from anything better.

> Shoemaker's children?

Sleek as a butcher's dog.
I bet Mike's bike is in excellent running order.

There is a counter-cliche for every cliche.
Do not get me wrong; I like cliches (or clichés).

--
Michael Press

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > On Apr 8, 3:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Yuck. I wasn't sure the photos would really tell the story, but I was

wrong.
> >> They do.
> >>
> >> http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainReactionBicycles/BikeNeedsCleaning
> >>
> >> Amazing how long you can keep something working reasonably well by

just
> >> dumping more Rock n Roll gold lube onto the chain. I probably would

have
> >> been better off not ever discovering the stuff, since it seems to

work so
> >> well regardless of how much crud you've accumulated. Still... if

there's a
> >> specail hell for people who don't take as good a care of their really

nice
> >> bikes as they should... I could be a candidate. I did, however,

finally get
> >> around to installing a new chain & cleaning things up last night.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Well, can't you just delegate your personal bike maintenance/repairs
> > to your staff?
> > I fuss over my bike because I have the time, and this kind of thing is
> > in my nature. I don't mind it - J.

> Let the guys TOUCH MY BIKE? I don't think so!
> --
> Andrew Muzi

I let one of the guys do my brakes ONE time. I fired him when I hobbled
back to the shop!

Chas.

>> Let the guys TOUCH MY BIKE? I don't think so!
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi

> I let one of the guys do my brakes ONE time. I fired him when I hobbled
> back to the shop!
>
> Chas.

I don't have a problem with the quality of work my guys would be providing.
But it's *MY* bike, and *I* work on *MY* bike. When I get the chance to,
anyway. Like I said, I began life as a wrench, and I'd like to think I'll
keep on doing that as long as I can hold a multi tool in my aging old
arthritic hand many years down the road.

Besides, there's also a long history of practical jokes by the mechanics on
employee bikes. Mystery rattles caused by bearings inserted into the part of
the threadless stem that extends from the fork to the bars, for example.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

On Apr 14, 12:49 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Besides, there's also a long history of practical jokes by the mechanics on
> employee bikes. Mystery rattles caused by bearings inserted into the part of
> the threadless stem that extends from the fork to the bars, for example.

/me rubs hands together.

That's so simple and evil...I love it! :-D