Shopping trolley menace

Sue White

Guest
I was riding along the Thames past Tesco at Kennet Mouth this afternoon,
passed a shopping trolley lurking at the edge of the tarmac, just out of
sight from the bridge.
It didn't try anything while I was watching it, but as I stopped at the
bridge to wait for some pedestrians I heard a commotion behind me.
I turned to see a bloke on a full-susser tumbling across the path and
over the rough ground, locked in combat with the shopping trolley.
After him came his two companions. One of them grabbed the trolley,
which had gained the upper hand, heaved it bodily off his friend and
managed to subdue it.
The other bloke seemed to be having a choking fit, so I helped out by
taking some pictures of the incident which I'll mail to him (the friend)
so that he can make sure the victim doesn't get selective amnesia.

It's disgraceful that Tesco allow their trolleys to attack people on the
public path - why don't they round them up and take them back where they
belong, attacking people in the store and car park?

--
Sue ];:))

Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

> It's disgraceful that Tesco allow their trolleys to attack people on the
> public path - why don't they round them up and take them back where they
> belong, attacking people in the store and car park?

And they don't stop for red lights, ride on the pavement, don't pay road
tax, no lights after dark etc. etc. rant rant

Sue White <[email protected]> writes:

> It's disgraceful that Tesco allow their trolleys to attack people on
> the public path - why don't they round them up and take them back
> where they belong, attacking people in the store and car park?

They should be on bungey cords so they drag themselves back into the
car park.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

"Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sue White <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > It's disgraceful that Tesco allow their trolleys to attack people on
> > the public path - why don't they round them up and take them back
> > where they belong, attacking people in the store and car park?

> They should be on bungey cords so they drag themselves back into the
> car park.
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Eilbeck

Whilst on my holidays in Devon in 2004 (Banrstaple area we went to a
supermarket (not sure whether ASDA or Tesco) but there they had some form of
security round the store that locked the trolly wheels when you got to the
edge of the car park.

I thought it was possibly a con so tried it and it appeared to work.

DaveB

Sue White said the following on 03/04/2006 00:08:

> The other bloke seemed to be having a choking fit, so I helped out by
> taking some pictures of the incident which I'll mail to him (the friend)
> so that he can make sure the victim doesn't get selective amnesia.

I think these photos should be made publicly available as a warning of
the consequences of attempting to take on a vicious shopping trolley. I
reckon it must have been one that escaped when they were filming the
adverts!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Dave wrote:
> "Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Sue White <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > It's disgraceful that Tesco allow their trolleys to attack people on
> > > the public path - why don't they round them up and take them back
> > > where they belong, attacking people in the store and car park?

> > They should be on bungey cords so they drag themselves back into the
> > car park.
> >
> > Chris
> > --
> > Chris Eilbeck

> Whilst on my holidays in Devon in 2004 (Banrstaple area we went to a
> supermarket (not sure whether ASDA or Tesco) but there they had some form of
> security round the store that locked the trolly wheels when you got to the
> edge of the car park.
>
> I thought it was possibly a con so tried it and it appeared to work.

Probably a metal grille across which the trolley wheels will not roll..
IIRC they have a couple of hard flanges which drop into the slots in
the grille and the friction is sufficient to prevent them being
wheeled further.

They had some at the Tesco in Harrow many years ago.

...d

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:53:59 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Whilst on my holidays in Devon in 2004 (Banrstaple area we went to a
>supermarket (not sure whether ASDA or Tesco) but there they had some form of
>security round the store that locked the trolly wheels when you got to the
>edge of the car park.
>
>I thought it was possibly a con so tried it and it appeared to work.

In my uni days when I'd push the trolley full stuff home, getting over
these was no problem, you just lifted so the rear wheels were off and
pushed, the resistance whilst high enough to be annoying was certainly
never enough to really stop people nicking them.

Jim.

On 3 Apr 2006 02:45:30 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> "Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > They should be on bungey cords so they drag themselves back into the
>> > car park.
>> >
>> > Chris
>> > --
>> > Chris Eilbeck

>> Whilst on my holidays in Devon in 2004 (Banrstaple area we went to a
>> supermarket (not sure whether ASDA or Tesco) but there they had some form of
>> security round the store that locked the trolly wheels when you got to the
>> edge of the car park.
>>
>> I thought it was possibly a con so tried it and it appeared to work.

>Probably a metal grille across which the trolley wheels will not roll..
>IIRC they have a couple of hard flanges which drop into the slots in
>the grille and the friction is sufficient to prevent them being
>wheeled further.

Steam aged stuff.

Yer moddun supermarket uses the Magick of Elecktrickery,buried wires
and teeny Widgets attached to the trolley. Pushing the trolley over
the wire causes the Widget to clamp the wheel of the trolley.

A bit like this <http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/ef/0c0383ef.asp>

Tim

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:52:15 GMT, [email protected] (Jim Ley) wrote:

>In my uni days when I'd push the trolley full stuff home, getting over
>these was no problem, you just lifted so the rear wheels were off and
>pushed, the resistance whilst high enough to be annoying was certainly
>never enough to really stop people nicking them.

It's more sophisticated than that. I live very close to a large Sainsbury's, so
close that it's quicker to walk than cycle, taking into account the time to get
the bike out and lock it up outside the shop.

After one particularly big shop of 11 bags, I decided to borrow a trolley, as I
have done before, then phone the shop to tell them that someone had abandoned a
trolley on my door step - they would then pick it up. At the bottom of the
smooth ramp the wheels locked and I could not progress satisfactorily along the
pavement. I could drag the trolley, but certainly not push it. I had to carry
the bags home. So heavy were they that my fingers were numb for the next two
weeks.

You could call it karma for by previous bad behaviour.

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:23:30 +0100, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:52:15 GMT, [email protected] (Jim Ley) wrote:
>>In my uni days when I'd push the trolley full stuff home, getting over
>>these was no problem, you just lifted so the rear wheels were off and
>>pushed, the resistance whilst high enough to be annoying was certainly
>>never enough to really stop people nicking them.

>It's more sophisticated than that. I live very close to a large Sainsbury's, so
>close that it's quicker to walk than cycle, taking into account the time to get
>the bike out and lock it up outside the shop.

The ones described in your other post were the ones I was using - the
older purely mechanical methods with the slotted path were even
easier. I wasn't some muscle man in Uni but if you lifted the back
wheels pushing it was possible.

>After one particularly big shop of 11 bags, I decided to borrow a trolley, as I
>have done before, then phone the shop to tell them that someone had abandoned a
>trolley on my door step - they would then pick it up.

I always took it back... the next time I went - well we generally
relayed them.

Jim.

>>After one particularly big shop of 11 bags, I decided to borrow a trolley,
>>as I
>>have done before, then phone the shop to tell them that someone had
>>abandoned a
>>trolley on my door step - they would then pick it up.

> I always took it back... the next time I went - well we generally
> relayed them.

My local Waitrose will lend you a bike trailer to get your shopping home.
Not tried it yet coz you need one of their storecards to use the scheme.

Tom Crispin wrote:
.. I had to carry
> the bags home. So heavy were they that my fingers were numb for the next two
> weeks.

You need a rucksack!

/me carries more Tescos stuff on his back than he'd get on the bike.
Eighty quids worth when restocking a sufficiently depleted kitchen,
and that tends to include a preponderance of heavy stuff such as
bottles, tins and jars, because that's what has the lifetime to
work in bulk.

(That's using the bus service available Tuesdays and Fridays here).

--
not me guv

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:55:10 +0100, Nick Kew
<[email protected]> wrote:

>/me carries more Tescos stuff on his back than he'd get on the bike.
>Eighty quids worth when restocking a sufficiently depleted kitchen,
>and that tends to include a preponderance of heavy stuff such as
>bottles, tins and jars, because that's what has the lifetime to
>work in bulk.
>
>(That's using the bus service available Tuesdays and Fridays here).

Don't fancy a once in a blue moon online order for all the heavy stuff
they can cram into a van?

You can generally find vouchers online for free delivery from Asda,
Tesco etc so it needn't cost anything. Then you can give the delivery
driver a hernia carrying wheelbarrows full of bottles, tins and jars
while you put your feet up.

"Bob"

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:55:10 +0100, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>. I had to carry
>> the bags home. So heavy were they that my fingers were numb for the next two
>> weeks.

>You need a rucksack!

My expedition rucksack is 95L.

Pannier capacity is 81L, but I can always bungee a case of wine onto the rear
rack.

If I'd have know that the trolley wheels would lock up I'd have taken the steed.

It would be a Carbon Crime to get the stuff delivered, being just 100m from a
major supermarket. (I'm going to pace it now, 64 of my paces, on level ground,
is 100m).

Nick Kew wrote:
> Tom Crispin wrote:
> . I had to carry
> > the bags home. So heavy were they that my fingers were numb for the next two
> > weeks.

> You need a rucksack!

You need a real trailer.. ;-)

> /me carries more Tescos stuff on his back than he'd get on the bike.
> Eighty quids worth when restocking a sufficiently depleted kitchen,
> and that tends to include a preponderance of heavy stuff such as
> bottles, tins and jars, because that's what has the lifetime to
> work in bulk.

Not managed to fill the trailer yet but still get a full family shop in
- over 100 quids worth on a busy day. The trick is to take a stash of
stacking crates. I usually take eight curver boxes but have so far only
managed to fill 6. Very good for keeping the crushable/bruisables in
good order. and they stack 2x2x2.
I then cover it with a tarpaulin to keep weather and pilferers out.
Fortunately it is mostly downhill from the supermarket.

...d

On 3 Apr 2006 05:48:47 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nick Kew wrote:
>> Tom Crispin wrote:
>> . I had to carry
>> > the bags home. So heavy were they that my fingers were numb for the next two
>> > weeks.

>> You need a rucksack!

>You need a real trailer.. ;-)

Is mine real or just a toy?

Pity I can't attach it to my utility bike. Rack, Rohloff, mudguards,
doesn't leave much room for the Zwie+Zwie Cargo Croozer. (
http://www.amba-marketing.com/products.php?cid=26&pid=165 ) Attachs to
my audax bike.

Ian Blake wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2006 05:48:47 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Nick Kew wrote:
> >> Tom Crispin wrote:
> >> . I had to carry
> >>
> >> You need a rucksack!

> >You need a real trailer.. ;-)
> >

> Is mine real or just a toy?
>
> Pity I can't attach it to my utility bike. Rack, Rohloff, mudguards,
> doesn't leave much room for the Zwie+Zwie Cargo Croozer. (
> http://www.amba-marketing.com/products.php?cid=26&pid=165 ) Attachs to
> my audax bike.

That looks very nice.. Wish mine looked that nice.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Not managed to fill the trailer yet

What trailer do you have?