Shopping with my Burley Nomad

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
This year I'm cycling to save gas and just to maintain a low body weight, as in the previous 2 years I cycled a lot to lose weight and I raced twice. Anyway, I've only saved $61.99 in gas by biking 93 times (406.43 miles) for transportation this year (as of 8-17-06).

One thing I did lately was grocery shop with my Burley Nomad hooked up to my Kestrel Talon. When unloaded the Burley Nomad presents very little drag on the bike and you just can't feel it. Well, I shopped 12 2 liter soda bottles + bread + 2 pack of strawberries as shown in the 2 pictures of my Nomad. This was a somewhat heavy load but the Nomad can take more! Biking home I felt the weight of my groceries and it did take time to accelerate to 16.5 mph. Then I cruised at 18.5 mph going home. I guess I messed up becuase I didn't record my ride with my Polar powermeter. In all, I only saved 35 cents in gas going 2.15 miles round trip. So it would take 850 2.15 mile trips to pay back the cost of my Burley Nomad.

If any of you want a Burley Nomad get one soon because Burley is in financial trouble!

Shopping on Campagnolo Eurus wheels? :cool: Cool.

BTW, are you serious about Burley being in trouble? Where I can I get more info?

Thanks for the update. That is potentially very bad news!

I am a proud Burley customer (one of the few in Italy, I might add - had to buy my Burley Solo on line from Germany and my Burley Piccolo on line from a shop in the Netherlands!) and would hate to see them go belly-up! :(

I've been looking for a used Nomad, but they're hard to find. The child carriers are everywhere, but I guess groceries don't "grow up".

I bought mine for $259 shipped in Sept 05. I guess the price went up lately. The alternate hooking system cost me $40 -- it's best to use the alternate hooking system, especially for a CF bike. Easy on and off compared to the regular hitch. Just Google Burley Nomad for the latest prices.

First, looks like Burley will be fine with new structure and ownership.

I want to buy one too. Heck, when you look on Craigslist you get more "Wanted to Buy" hits than ones for sale!

No one commented on the carbon frame towing a trailer that can hold up to 100 lbs (see picture on original post). Wow, I don't think I'd do that, even if low tongue weight.

Someone posted a blog of a couple trailering a BOB with an *aluminum* frame and he destroyed it in first 150 miles. It's my understanding these Nomads are great, but tow them with steal.

Agree? :eek:

Hey GT if you use the hitch that comes with the Nomad you might damage the CF frame. There are 3 alternate hitches that connect the Nomad to the bike by the QR axle, so no frame damage. I suggest you use the alternate hitch if you get the Nomad!

Gee, price of gas when I left Houston 1 week ago - $2.49. Chicago $3.19 ! Chicago gas prices suck big time!