Short and sweet

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Whilst cycling down to Goat this evening I encountered a little girl riding her bike just past Dights Falls. I could see she was having a bit of strife with the training wheels while decending a rise on the bikepath. I slowed down and gave a gentle ring of the bell to let her know I was behind her. She picked up her bike, and moved to the riverbank side.

I said "Thank you very much"

She stood up proudly next to her lovely bike and said to me,

"You're most welcome"

I don't think she was more than 5 or 6 years old.

Anyway after I passed her, I stood up on the pedals and heroically caned off (ie: wildly posing) down towards the Collingwood Childrens Farm.

We had a joke about it tonight at Goat. Envisage the scenario, we're at a future World Track comp/Commonwealth/Olympic Games and this (now) grown cyclist spies me in cheap seats and comes over and thanks/blames me. "It's all you're fault, all those early starts ... I would of bought a car by now if it wasn't for you .." :D :D :D :D

cfsmtb said:
I don't think she was more than 5 or 6 years old.

Anyway after I passed her, I stood up on the pedals and heroically caned off (ie: wildly posing) down towards the Collingwood Childrens Farm.

Did you 'throw' over the line??... Sounds like a good win to me, great work! :)

I love those little encounters. It's one of the little benefits of cycling over driving that you don't usually think about.

Resound said:
I love those little encounters. It's one of the little benefits of cycling over driving that you don't usually think about.

smiling/poking tongue out at kids sitting in cages is always bit of fun.
unless they have a supersoaker :D

flyingdutch said:
smiling/poking tongue out at kids sitting in cages is always bit of fun.
unless they have a supersoaker :D

And in hot weather, even that can be fun. Keeping up with busses/trams and waving to/smiling at kids is always good value too.

"Mum! Mum! Look at the maaan!"

Resound wrote:

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > smiling/poking tongue out at kids sitting in cages is always bit of
> > fun.
> > unless they have a supersoaker :D

> And in hot weather, even that can be fun. Keeping up with busses/trams
> and waving to/smiling at kids is always good value too.
>
> "Mum! Mum! Look at the maaan!"

I like it when I can see them saying, "Mummy, mummy, look, it's a GIRL,
she's on a BIKE!"

I smile and wave. Makes it harder for Mum to run over me without
feeling bad, if her kid likes me.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
I like it when I can see them saying, "Mummy, mummy, look, it's a GIRL,
she's on a BIKE!"

I smile and wave. Makes it harder for Mum to run over me without
feeling bad, if her kid likes me.

Tam

I get that from little girls on their bikes. You can tell its a real buzz for them to see a "real" "grown up" (roflmao yeah yeah shuddap in the back!!) female cyclist out riding. I always give them a smile, wave and a hello.

It's a pity we seem to lose them after they turn 10 or so.... :(

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:11:01 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

> smiling/poking tongue out at kids sitting in cages is always bit of
> fun.
> unless they have a supersoaker :D

One of my dreams is to get a tandem Greenspeed recumbent and put my son in
a kid seat at the back, i.e. seated fairly high, with helmet, flying
goggles, white silk scarf and a mounted supersoaker so he can act as my
rear gunner :) I have a feeling that by the time the funds come round,
he'll be to big to fit in a kid's seat :(

Graeme

warrwych said:
I get that from little girls on their bikes. You can tell its a real buzz for them to see a "real" "grown up" (roflmao yeah yeah shuddap in the back!!) female cyclist out riding. I always give them a smile, wave and a hello.

Grown up female? I've been trying to dodge that tag for almost twenty years. Ploy seems to be working so far :D

warrwych said:
It's a pity we seem to lose them after they turn 10 or so.... :(

Good news, while riding over to Brunswick (about school knock off time) I noticed plenty of kids of all ages riding home. To quote a ancient haircare ad, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :)

Graeme Dods <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:11:01 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:
>
>> smiling/poking tongue out at kids sitting in cages is always bit of
>> fun.
>> unless they have a supersoaker :D

>One of my dreams is to get a tandem Greenspeed recumbent and put my son in
>a kid seat at the back, i.e. seated fairly high, with helmet, flying
>goggles, white silk scarf and a mounted supersoaker so he can act as my
>rear gunner :) I have a feeling that by the time the funds come round,
>he'll be to big to fit in a kid's seat :(
>
>Graeme

I like that idea.
Pity my kids are all now bigger than me.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:54:27 +1000, Ted Linnell wrote:

> I like that idea.
> Pity my kids are all now bigger than me.

So you get *them* to pull *you* around. Okay, so you may need to beef up
the kid's seat and widen it a little, but it would be worth it! :)

Graeme

cfsmtb said:
Grown up female? I've been trying to dodge that tag for almost twenty years. Ploy seems to be working so far :D

Same, but somehow I think my exterior person is now advancing more rapidly than my interior person, and for some weird reason, cos I look "grown up", people get offended when I demonstrate that I am not :p

cfsmtb said:
Good news, while riding over to Brunswick (about school knock off time) I noticed plenty of kids of all ages riding home. To quote a ancient haircare ad, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :)

WOOHOO!!!!!! Let's hope that when they get to 17 or so, there isn't enough fuel generally available for them to be borrowing the car keys :D

cfsmtb wrote:
> warrwych Wrote:
>
>>I get that from little girls on their bikes. You can tell its a real
>>buzz for them to see a "real" "grown up" (roflmao yeah yeah shuddap in
>>the back!!) female cyclist out riding. I always give them a smile,
>>wave and a hello.

> Grown up female? I've been trying to dodge that tag for almost twenty
> years. Ploy seems to be working so far :D

I've never liked Billy Connolloy's sense of humour, but somehow his
comment recently on "growing old is okay, but growing up is rubbish" or
something along those lines makes a lot of sense.