Short bentriders-What do you ride?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Gary Krause, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else with
    short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet flat on
    the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I can place
    both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping out from
    under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames and even
    owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at the Status
    and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.

    So what bents work for your short legs and why?

    Gary

    Tags:

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Gary Krause" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding?

    I, too, am vertically challenged and chose an Easy Racers Gold Rush. It is a long wheelbase bent but
    is sold in four length versions, including short. That is the model that I ride with a wheelbase of
    64in and it doesn't seem all that much longer than a wedgie. It, of course, is. But it rides like a
    dream. And is sooooo comfortable. I can easily plant both feet on the ground. I feel very "one with
    the road" on this classic bent. Top quality components. I love it. I am riding CrossRoads LA-Boston
    cross country bike tour this May/Jun on it.

    My first bent was the BikeE RoadE version that was a little tough to plant both feet on the ground.
    Pretty good bent. Too bad they went bellyup.

    HTH

    Richard

  3. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    RANS says they have new seat where the base is shorter. Thus it is easier to put your foot on
    the ground

    I am 5'7" also. What I do on my Rocket is get out of the recumbent position and sit on the front
    edge of the seat when I wait for the lights to change.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, artist200 @earthlink.net says...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I
    > can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping
    > out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames
    > and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at
    > the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    >
    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?

    I have been happy with both feet on the ground with first, a RANS Stratus, Second a Medium Lightning
    P-38 and now a Standard Bacchetta Giro. I too am 5' 7" My inseam is closer to 28" than 29" though my
    X- seam measures about 40" (was 42")
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Archer

    Archer Guest

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding?

    I'm 5'6" on a good day, with only a slightly longer x-seam than you have. I ride a vision r54, and
    can easily put a foot down flat. Or both feet flat, if necessary.

    Archer Sully Boulder, CO

  6. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I
    > can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping
    > out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames
    > and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at
    > the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    >
    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    >
    > Gary

    I am 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam and a 40 inch x-seam. I had a V-Rex on which I didn't experience
    the problems you relate. However, my main steed now is a Barcroft Virginia GT with a seat height 4"
    lower than the V-Rex. Its handling is similar to the Rex but a little surer. The more I ride it the
    more I like it. For a LWB, if you want a low seat height, look at the Rotator Pursuit, a looooong
    LWB but with dual 20 inch wheels it is very low to the ground. It also comes in different frame
    sizes I believe.

  7. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    My x-seam is shorter than yours even.

    I ride a Bacchetta Giro. When I come to a stop I sit up, allowing me to plant both feet firmly on the ground. When I'm ready to take off, I lean back and apply both brakes firmly to keep me from slipping.
    You might check out the Bacchetta M5 seat, which is narrower than the standard seat so you might fit better.

    The V-Rex was too tall for me, but the Burley fit fine. The Rans is quite low, but is a LWB. I could ride the R40 alright, but it was max. The new Haluzak looks very low.

  8. Leon Webster

    Leon Webster Guest

    I am 5'8" and have about a 30" inseam. I am happy with my two Barcroft's (a Virginia and a Dakota
    which is set up for commuting and loaded touring). I can place comfortably place my feet on the
    ground on either bike. I had problems with a Haluzak Horizon (I wanted to lean the seat all the
    way back).

    I am in the process of having our screamer modified to use an M5 seat for the captain. I think this
    will make it easier to lean the seat back and still put my feet flat on the ground.

    Leon Webster St. Paul, MN

  9. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    >
    > Gary

    I originally bought a Rans Stratus and found it a good fit for short legs. I would have stayed with
    it but wanted something with good low speed stability for climbing.

    Then I bought a Greenspeed Trike. With the trike I also got 155mm crank arms for easier spinning.

    Gary McCarty 5'5"

  10. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    I sit up also, but I do a two foot push of. Lift my legs. Start spinning and when I get enough speed
    I sit back an click in my pedals.

    "R2D2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My x-seam is shorter than yours even.
    >
    > I ride a Bacchetta Giro. When I come to a stop I sit up, allowing me to plant both feet firmly on
    > the ground. When I'm ready to take off, I lean back and apply both brakes firmly to keep me from
    > slipping. You might check out the Bacchetta M5 seat, which is narrower than the standard seat so
    > you might fit better.
    >
    > The V-Rex was too tall for me, but the Burley fit fine. The Rans is quite low, but is a LWB. I
    > could ride the R40 alright, but it was max. The new Haluzak looks very low.

  11. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I'm also about 5'7" with 40.5 x-seam and I ride a med. frame P-38 and a Rans Stratus. Ben fox "Gary
    Mc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    > >
    > > Gary
    >

    > I originally bought a Rans Stratus and found it a good fit for short legs. I would have stayed
    > with it but wanted something with good low speed stability for climbing.
    >
    > Then I bought a Greenspeed Trike. With the trike I also got 155mm crank arms for easier spinning.
    >
    > Gary McCarty 5'5"

  12. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    I had a V2, and it was plently low enough for my 29" inseam, could stop with both feet flat on the
    ground. I now own a Bacchetta Giro. Mine is a standard size, and the seat seams lower than the V2
    was, or might be that I can just assume a more comfortable posture when stopped. My wife, who is
    only 5'1", rides a small Giro, and again, putting both feet flat is a non issue.

    "Gary Krause" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I
    > can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping
    > out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames
    > and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at
    > the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    >
    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    >
    > Gary

  13. Snowman

    Snowman Guest

    I am 5'6" and I ride a Haluzak Horizon Hybrid with a 20 inch wheel in from and a 26 inch wheel in
    back. The Hybrid Race was slightly too tall for me so Haluzak built the bike based on my x-seam and
    loaded it with the Race equipment. I am very happy with it.

    Snowman Haluzak Horizon Hybrid 2002 Los Angeles

  14. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    [email protected] (Nye solesfirst) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > V-2 or the wonderfull Stratus! But then I am biased!
    >
    > Nye Martin

    Before I bought my TourEasy (size small frame) I tried out various Rans, Ryan, Lightning and BikeE
    bikes. The TourEasy was the most comfortable for my 38.5" xseam. But the Rans Stratus was also good.

    I'm hoping that an Aerocycle will be made someday for short people of my xseam.

    C.C., 5'3"

  15. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Gary Krause" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I
    > can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping
    > out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames
    > and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at
    > the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    >
    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    >
    > Gary

    Gary,

    We're about the same size, however you have a half inch more x-seam than I. I've owned a Lightning
    Stealth (Phantom), Haluzak Leprechaun, a couple tadpole trikes, and my current ride, a Tour Easy.
    The TE is the easiest of the 2-wheelers as far as feet on ground . The Haluzak and Lightning both
    allowed me to get feet flat on the ground, but both required me to lean forward a bit to do so. That
    despite a 349 front wheel on both.

    If getting stable at a stop is paramount, I'd consider a LWB like a TE, RANS Stratus or V2. The
    Strat has the added advantage of a lower seat height the further forward it is adjusted. The V2
    will be a mite tougher to start up because the BB is much higher than the others. Best to ride 'em
    all and see.

    Tom Thompson

  16. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I am considering the V2 not only for the lower seat but, also for the higher BB. I like to lay back
    and if I have the seat too upright, such as on the Easy Racer, I tend to get recumbent butt. Having
    my feet flat on the ground isn't really essential otherwise, I wouldn't have a Canto and V-Rex. It
    sure would be nice though. Thanks.

    "Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Gary Krause" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and
    > > I can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet
    > > slipping out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with
    > > small frames and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough.
    > > I've looked at the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    > >
    > > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    > >
    > > Gary
    >
    > Gary,
    >
    > We're about the same size, however you have a half inch more x-seam than I. I've owned a Lightning
    > Stealth (Phantom), Haluzak Leprechaun, a couple tadpole trikes, and my current ride, a Tour Easy.
    > The TE is the easiest of the 2-wheelers as far as feet on ground . The Haluzak and Lightning both
    > allowed me to get feet flat on the ground, but both required me to lean forward a bit to do so.
    > That despite a 349 front wheel on both.
    >
    > If getting stable at a stop is paramount, I'd consider a LWB like a TE, RANS Stratus or V2. The
    > Strat has the added advantage of a lower seat height the further forward it is adjusted. The V2
    > will be a mite tougher to start up because the BB is much higher than the others. Best to ride 'em
    > all and see.
    >
    > Tom Thompson

  17. Rocketman58

    Rocketman58 Guest

    I have owned a number of bents over the past decade. I also have a 29" inseam (at best). I have come
    to the conlusion that if you are this short and want both your feet planted safely on the ground -
    stick with a LWB. As far a people with 28" inseams touching the ground flat footed on thier SWB
    machines - I don't belive it. There are a number of other benefits as well, such as often better
    weight distribution.

    I have owned the following SWBs: Lightning stealth, RANS V-rex, RANS Rocket, Small size Giro. The
    Giro had the best reach to the ground due to the smaller seat base. It also had a pretty good weight
    distribution, but the granks were too high for me. All the rest had too forward a weight
    distribution - you have to move the seat forward in order to reach the pedals - often this places
    too much weight over the front wheel.

    I have owned the following LWB models: RANS Tailwind, Tour Easy, RANS Stratus. The Tailwind has a
    little higher seat but it is still possible to sit flat footed. I also offers near perfect weight
    distribution for a shorter person. The Stratus has a very low seat and gets lower the closer you are
    to the pedals. However the bike is long and so are the handlebars. The TourEasy is available in
    several sizes. For a short person the TourEasy is not too long of a bike.

    Andrew

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inch inseam and a 39.5 inch x-seam. I was just wondering what everyone else
    > with short legs is riding? I currently have a V-Rex and a Burley Canto and I can't plant my feet
    > flat on the ground on either bike. I'm considering getting a V2 because, it has a lower seat and I
    > can place both feet flat on the ground. It sure is nice not having to worry about my feet slipping
    > out from under me in gravel or sand. I've looked at just about all of the SWB's with small frames
    > and even owned a small framed Vision R-40. But, the seats just aren't low enough. I've looked at
    > the Status and V2 and I like the looks of the new Haluzak LWB.
    >
    > So what bents work for your short legs and why?
    >
    > Gary

  18. The two shortest recumbentistas I know both ride Kingcycle SWB's with a seat height of ~18". This
    suggests that a Rotator Tiger might serve the vertically challenged quite nicely too.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    I agree that LWB's are better suited for shorter riders. I have owned a Rans Rocket, Vision R-40,
    Rans V-Rex and Burley Canto. The SWB's are a blast to ride but, I feel that my weight is too far
    forward. Not only that, I don't like being so close to the riser. The only SWB that didn't give me
    that feeling was a USS R-40. The OSS R-40 that I had was a small frame and the rear wheel actually
    came off the ground in an emergency braking situation. I agree that the LWB's have better weight
    distribution. Generally the seats seem to be a little lower to the ground depending on the design.
    Short wheel base designs just aren't conducive to shorter riders but, that doesn't stop me from
    riding my V-Rex.:) I've spent some time on a Rans Stratus and it's a really nice bike however, I
    like a higher bottom bracket.

    It has been interesting to hear what other's are riding and why. There is no such thing as the
    perfect recumbent and I think that's why many of us have owned more than one. Not only that, they
    are so much fun to ride!

    Gary

    news:<[email protected]>...