Short, Boring and Brutal RR: Highbridge Park, NYC

Scott Gordo

Guest
Highbridge Park is the only legal trail riding in Manhattan. It's
located at Inwood, Manhattan's northern tip, around 200th Street. The
MTB trails were opened on May 19th. This was my first time heading up
there to check it out. It was also only maybe the 3rd or third time
I'd been on my MTB this year.

My expectations for an NYC Parks System-sanctioned trail were pretty
much a combination of fireroads, basic xc trails with some rocks and
roots, and maybe some offshoots with more technical stuff. The only
info I had was on this page:

http://www.nycmtb.com/trails/highbridge.html

The highlights of the description are:
- 3 miles of trails (Whaddaya want? It's Manhattan. Be thankful it's
not covered in co-ops.)
- "...smooth cruisers to wickedly technical "east coast gnar..."
- "25% beginner, 25% intermediate, 50% expert XC trails" - I didn't
take this very seriously.

I took the 2/3 to the 1 train up to Dykman Street, about an hour from
my apt in Brooklyn. The park was easy to find (trees among the
elevated bodegas drives and tracks), but I looked for some sort of
entrance near the Dykman stop vainly. I wound up riding some paved
trails in the park looking for the dirt. Finally I saw a couple riders
resting. We made our greetings and discussed the trail. They were
kitted like me, 80mm basic XC hardtails. They were pretty worked, and
said that the trails had been much tougher than they expected. They
didn't seem like pros, but they didn't seem inexperienced either.

We hit the trail, and they weren't kidding. Lots of tight rocks,
broken glass, and off-camber stuff, much of it looking rather
unforgiving. I gotta say, I'm definitely not the careless 22 year old
I once was, but I had to walk a lot of it (as did my fellow riders.)
It was shameful.

We'd find very short sections that we could ride smoothly, but for the
most part Highbridge really dished it out. Maybe it's the
proliferation of freeride, full sus stunt guys around here, but the
toodle I expected was more of a trial. Although rolling/flat, many of
the sections were reminiscent of Plattekill's intermediate downhill
route (which wasn't much fun on my bike either.) Part of what made it
tough is that it wasn't "normal" trail where you could get some flow
before hitting interspersed technical bits. It was one technical bit
after another in tight succession.

I hate to say it, but next time I'm going back with the pads. And
maybe flat pedals. I'll wait to get it wired, section by section,
before inviting any of you guys out ;)

There's also a bmx track and a jump park.

In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
with a higher pucker-factor than expected.

Scott

Scott Gordo wrote:

> In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
> with a higher pucker-factor than expected.
>
> Scott

What? No tunnel bunnies? What kind of NYC trail is that?

I think it's great that the city allowed people to build a trail system
(however small it may be) on what little open space there is. Thumbs up!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jul 5, 4:25 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>
> > In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
> > with a higher pucker-factor than expected.

> > Scott

> What? No tunnel bunnies? What kind of NYC trail is that?
>
> I think it's great that the city allowed people to build a trail system
> (however small it may be) on what little open space there is. Thumbs up!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

Not sure what a tunnel bunny is, but we did ride up into what was
essentially somebody's, ahem, campsite/living room. Born free in NYC!

/s

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:32:44 -0700, Scott Gordo <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Highbridge Park is the only legal trail riding in Manhattan. It's
> located at Inwood, Manhattan's northern tip, around 200th Street. The
> MTB trails were opened on May 19th. This was my first time heading up
> there to check it out. It was also only maybe the 3rd or third time
> I'd been on my MTB this year.
>
> My expectations for an NYC Parks System-sanctioned trail were pretty
> much a combination of fireroads, basic xc trails with some rocks and
> roots, and maybe some offshoots with more technical stuff. The only
> info I had was on this page:
>
> http://www.nycmtb.com/trails/highbridge.html
>
> The highlights of the description are:
> - 3 miles of trails (Whaddaya want? It's Manhattan. Be thankful it's
> not covered in co-ops.)
> - "...smooth cruisers to wickedly technical "east coast gnar..."
> - "25% beginner, 25% intermediate, 50% expert XC trails" - I didn't
> take this very seriously.
>
> I took the 2/3 to the 1 train up to Dykman Street, about an hour from
> my apt in Brooklyn. The park was easy to find (trees among the
> elevated bodegas drives and tracks), but I looked for some sort of
> entrance near the Dykman stop vainly. I wound up riding some paved
> trails in the park looking for the dirt. Finally I saw a couple riders
> resting. We made our greetings and discussed the trail. They were
> kitted like me, 80mm basic XC hardtails. They were pretty worked, and
> said that the trails had been much tougher than they expected. They
> didn't seem like pros, but they didn't seem inexperienced either.
>
> We hit the trail, and they weren't kidding. Lots of tight rocks,
> broken glass, and off-camber stuff, much of it looking rather
> unforgiving. I gotta say, I'm definitely not the careless 22 year old
> I once was, but I had to walk a lot of it (as did my fellow riders.)
> It was shameful.
>
> We'd find very short sections that we could ride smoothly, but for the
> most part Highbridge really dished it out. Maybe it's the
> proliferation of freeride, full sus stunt guys around here, but the
> toodle I expected was more of a trial. Although rolling/flat, many of
> the sections were reminiscent of Plattekill's intermediate downhill
> route (which wasn't much fun on my bike either.) Part of what made it
> tough is that it wasn't "normal" trail where you could get some flow
> before hitting interspersed technical bits. It was one technical bit
> after another in tight succession.
>
> I hate to say it, but next time I'm going back with the pads. And
> maybe flat pedals. I'll wait to get it wired, section by section,
> before inviting any of you guys out ;)
>
> There's also a bmx track and a jump park.
>
> In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
> with a higher pucker-factor than expected.
>
> Scott

Come-on, you're a NY native, what did ya expect, some ***** LA Beach
trail right next to Bronx Community College?
:p

Sounds like some East Coasters did some nice work with limit real estate.

FYI: as you prob already know, those 5-7" trail bikes are selling like
frig'n
hot cakes, which only encourages more stupid shitte to be built. I was
just talking to PUSH this morning:

PUSH - We got an additional mod for your rear shock if your interested.
It will turn
your 6" travel frame into 6.75"

Me - Sure, what the hell, why not, add it to my order.

--
Slack - not planning on breaking my neck again

On Jul 5, 9:55 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> > with a higher pucker-factor than expected.

> > Scott

> Come-on, you're a NY native, what did ya expect, some ***** LA Beach
> trail right next to Bronx Community College?
> :p
>
> Sounds like some East Coasters did some nice work with limit real estate.
>
> FYI: as you prob already know, those 5-7" trail bikes are selling like
> frig'n
> hot cakes, which only encourages more stupid shitte to be built. I was
> just talking to PUSH this morning:
>
> PUSH - We got an additional mod for your rear shock if your interested.
> It will turn
> your 6" travel frame into 6.75"
>
> Me - Sure, what the hell, why not, add it to my order.
>
> --
> Slack - not planning on breaking my neck again- Hide quoted text -

Highbridge Park was my playgound from 63 -67. And from 181 -200
streets was the shitist part of the park. From 181 street south would
have been more suitable space. In this space from 181 - 149 street I
biked,hiked,sleded,and even archery.

On Jul 6, 3:51 am, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 9:55 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:32:44 -0700, Scott Gordo <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Highbridge Park is the only legal trail riding in Manhattan. It's
> > > located at Inwood, Manhattan's northern tip, around 200th Street. The
> > > MTB trails were opened on May 19th. This was my first time heading up
> > > there to check it out. It was also only maybe the 3rd or third time
> > > I'd been on my MTB this year.

Nice...
Maybe a nice detour on the next bridges of Manhatten ride ;-P

Jimbo(san)

On Jul 5, 2:25 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>
> > In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
> > with a higher pucker-factor than expected.

> > Scott

> What? No tunnel bunnies? What kind of NYC trail is that?

One safe enough for you to ride. Why are you even in Colorado goofy?
Cherry Blossom Pooch, please, ride some challenging terrain.

> I think it's great that the city allowed people to build a trail system
> (however small it may be) on what little open space there is. Thumbs up!

Oooka booka! When will we see your boring video of this trail?

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:51:51 -0700, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> Highbridge Park was my playgound from 63 -67. And from 181 -200
> streets was the shitist part of the park. From 181 street south would
> have been more suitable space. In this space from 181 - 149 street I
> biked,hiked,sleded,and even archery.

Archery, what were you shooting at, Crazy?
--
Slack - glad he didn't live in NY in the mid 60s.

On Jul 7, 6:19 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:51:51 -0700, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Highbridge Park was my playgound from 63 -67. And from 181 -200
> > streets was the shitist part of the park. From 181 street south would
> > have been more suitable space. In this space from 181 - 149 street I
> > biked,hiked,sleded,and even archery.

> Archery, what were you shooting at, Crazy?
> --
> Slack - glad he didn't live in NY in the mid 60s.

LOL! Actually sounds pretty par for the course even these days.

/s

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Highbridge Park is the only legal trail riding in Manhattan. It's
> located at Inwood, Manhattan's northern tip, around 200th Street.
>
> In summary, Highbridge put the wood to me. Good use of a small space
> with a higher pucker-factor than expected.
>
> Scott

I was just in Manhattan yesterday! :) Didn't go here though since I was
on foot, not on bike...

On Jul 5, 3:32 pm, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Highbridge Park is the only legal trail riding in Manhattan. It's
> located at Inwood, Manhattan's northern tip, around 200th Street.

Very cool! This month's Dirt Rag has an article on the trails. I used
to take the mountain bike up there from time to time and kick around
on the footpaths, which are not very exciting, but give you a shortcut
under (or to) the Hudson Bridge. There's actually a sidewalk on the
bridge that takes you over to the Bronx. (This was on the itinerary
for the Bridges of Manhattan Ride, but we were all too tired to hump
the rest of the way up the Island from the GWB.)

Legal MTB trails on Manhattan! Whoda thunk?

CC