Short Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Salt

I recently fitted a Deore rear mech to my wifes Dawes Street Cruiser but left the front chainwheels
as the originals ( Shimano FC-TY30, 28-38-48 ).The new 9-speed cassette I fitted has a lowest
sprocket of
34T.When I came to fit the Sram Powerlink 9-speed chain it wasn't long enough to change into Big
front-Big rear.I know this is a no-no combination but she may just change into it by accident so
I prefer it to be able to handle the change.I had to add another three links from another chain
before it would do the job.My question is,can you buy 'overlength' chains to accommodate this
problem and if so where from or are all chains a standard length.I can't believe I am the only
one to have encountered this difficulty.Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sam Salt

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently fitted a Deore rear mech to my wifes Dawes Street Cruiser but left the front
> chainwheels as the originals ( Shimano FC-TY30, 28-38-48 ).

Sounds odd to me, sure the chain was the correct length when you got it? The boxes they come in
normally state the number of links. Either that or the bike has unusually long chain stays. My old
mtb has a 48 x 30 and longish stays but IIRC I normally remove a couple of links from new chains.

Pete

It was ' standard length ' as I measured it against another new chain I had just bought for another
bike and it was the same length.Didn't come in a box,came in a clear plastic bag.

Sam Salt

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I recently fitted a Deore rear mech to my wifes Dawes Street Cruiser but left the front
> > chainwheels as the originals ( Shimano FC-TY30, 28-38-48 ).
>
> Sounds odd to me, sure the chain was the correct length when you got it?
The
> boxes they come in normally state the number of links. Either that or the bike has unusually long
> chain stays. My old mtb has a 48 x 30 and longish stays but IIRC I normally remove a couple of
> links from new chains.
>
> Pete

Put some floats where the fairy wheels go and pedal up and down a lock !! You know you'd love it !

Ken Ketchup

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I recently fitted a Deore rear mech to my wifes Dawes Street Cruiser but left the front
> chainwheels as the originals ( Shimano FC-TY30, 28-38-48 ).The new 9-speed cassette I fitted has a
> lowest sprocket of
> 34T.When I came to fit the Sram Powerlink 9-speed chain it wasn't long enough to change into Big
> front-Big rear.I know this is a no-no
combination
> but she may just change into it by accident so I prefer it to be able to handle the change.I had
> to add another three links from another chain
before
> it would do the job.My question is,can you buy 'overlength' chains to accommodate this problem and
> if so where from or are all chains a standard length.I can't believe I am the only one to have
> encountered this difficulty.Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
>
> Sam Salt
I use an Sram PC89 9speed chain on 34 rear/44 front and have to remove one complete link from it.
Possible solutions: buy a spare chain to rob links from or fit a smaller front ring.

Ken.

Sam Salt <[email protected]> wrote ...
> chainwheels as the originals ( Shimano FC-TY30, 28-38-48 ).The new 9-speed cassette I fitted has a
> lowest sprocket of
> 34T.When I came to fit the Sram Powerlink 9-speed chain it wasn't long enough to change into Big
> front-Big rear. My question is,can you buy 'overlength' chains to accommodate this problem and
> if so where from or are all chains a standard length.

Yes, all chains are a standard length. I would advise going back to your LBS and asking if they have
any odd chain-ends - usually you have to trim about 3 links when fitting a new chain, so they should
have some they haven't thrown out yet.

Andrew

"Ken Ketchup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Put some floats where the fairy wheels go and pedal up and down a lock !! You know you'd love it !

I didn't at all but then when I didn't I couldn't so wouldn't. Apart from that it was not so much
but would have been less given more.

Pete

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:13:01 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>When I came to fit the Sram Powerlink 9-speed chain it wasn't long enough to change into Big
>front-Big rear

Bit of a bummer but not wholly surprised - you shouldn't go 48/34 I reckon. But that's just me being
a gear nazi - for a bit of comfort consider my plight. Last weekend I changed the chain on my bike:
it took three SRAM PC69s :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Yes there's always someone worse off than yourself.

Sam Salt

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:13:01 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >When I came to fit the Sram Powerlink 9-speed chain it wasn't long enough to change into Big
> >front-Big rear
>
> Bit of a bummer but not wholly surprised - you shouldn't go 48/34 I reckon. But that's just me
> being a gear nazi - for a bit of comfort consider my plight. Last weekend I changed the chain on
> my bike: it took three SRAM PC69s :)
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.