Short CompuTrainer Session

Porkyboy

Apr 28, 2006
Hi All

This might be of passing interest, just the screen output from a short CompuTrainer session I did @ L4, yes, I am hoping the numbers will get bigger ;)

Cheers,

PBUK

Hi

giannip said:
cool :) I don't think the numbers are low........May I ask your age ?
Blimey, thanks very much!

I'm afraid my age is definitely not low, 50 last birthday :(

Not much I can do about it so I'll just keep plugging away! :D

Cheers,

PBUK

Hi

giannip said:
cool :) so 50yr & FTP around 290-300 ?
Yes, last time I tested it using the protocol from Allen and Coggan's book it was 296W, I'm due to retest shortly but doubt that I'm any lower than that and may well have made some improvement. Definitely 50 years old and stuck with it, until next year, when I'll be 51 :eek:

PBUK

I can think of a lot of people that would love an ftp @ 296w..no matter what their age :)

Are you training yourself ?

Feel free to tell me to stop asking silly questions:D

Hi

giannip said:
I can think of a lot of people that would love an ftp @ 296w..no matter what their age :) Are you training yourself ? Feel free to tell me to stop asking silly questions:D
Thank you for your kind words. TBH I look at a lot of the figures put out by people on here and feel that I'm well off the mark but I keep at it anyway because I enjoy trying to make small improvements and I think in the long term it will keep me more active.

Yes, I am training myself, I'm pretty structured about it, I could do more but there is a lot else in life to enjoy as well. I find it quite satisfying to try things as I read a lot of research papers and the like and I try to apply the scientific findings to my training, so far I think I'm going in the right direction. I've learned a lot over the years from some people on this forum too.

Ask all the questions you like, I don't mind, I'll answer them if I can.

Cheers,

PBUK

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

Look forward to catchng one of your live Computrainer sessions :)

What's your training schedule like (roughly!)...lots of L4 ?

Hi

giannip said:
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Look forward to catchng one of your live Computrainer sessions :) What's your training schedule like (roughly!)...lots of L4 ?
It may sound as if I know what I'm doing, whether I actually do is another matter!

Yes, drop in one one of the sessions if you want a real laugh :D

Regarding my training schedule, if you have a bit of time check out my weblog (see signature) as it details my sessions day by day, if you just read back a couple of weeks you'll get the drift but mainly L3, SST and L4 stuff.

Cheers,

PBUK

I actually started reading abit last week...will continue.

Thanks and good luck with the workouts.

:D

Hi

giannip said:
I actually started reading a bit last week...will continue. Thanks and good luck with the workouts.:D
The blog might help you if you are struggling to sleep :)

Will be live on the CompuTrainer this morning at 08:00 BST (GMT/UTC +1) if you're bored, you'll find the player at the foot of my blog page. Adaptation week this week so just doing 2x15 in SS, @ 270W today.

Cheers,

PBUK

Hi

Just posted another short video off the CompuTrainer if it's of any interest to anyone :)

Nothing exciting, just a couple of 20 minute efforts @ 250W, click here.

Cheers,

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
Hi All

This might be of passing interest, just the screen output from a short CompuTrainer session I did @ L4, yes, I am hoping the numbers will get bigger ;)

Cheers,

PBUK
Cool..will take a look.

I'm on my slow way back to my ftp heights after 1 full month off the bike...:mad:

Porkyboy said:
Hi

Hmm.. thanks, pleased to have brightened your day. Heavy .sig!

PBUK

Says I don't have permission to see your blog. How do I get that? Do you have to send me a link? Cheers Rob

If I may be so bold to ask, given your ftp, what kind of time can you do a 40k TT in? I too am a 50-something year old doing similar training sessions on my computrainer. One of the things on my "bucket list" is to do a 40k TT in under an hour, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of ftp it will take for me to accomplish that.

Thanks

Hi Prestonk

prestonk said:
If I may be so bold to ask, given your ftp, what kind of time can you do a 40k TT in? I too am a 50-something year old doing similar training sessions on my computrainer. One of the things on my "bucket list" is to do a 40k TT in under an hour, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of ftp it will take for me to accomplish that. Thanks

'fraid I'm not a tester and how long is a piece of string? Depends on so much, the course, your weight, aero efficiency, motivation, fatigue level, etc. etc. There are sites which will allow you to plug in various factors and come up with an estimated TT for various distances, you could put your numbers in the calculator below and see what it comes up with:

Bike Calculator

For what it's worth I'd have said if all the factors above are Ok with no glaring problems if you are riding at about 4W/kg you should go under the hour. So if you weigh say 75kg an FTP of 300W or thereabouts should see you in with a good shot at it. Obviously if all the above, and other, factors are optmised, warm day, superb aero position, great kit, lovely flat road, great mood, you may well get away with a significantly lower FTP than 300W.

There are plenty of folks on here who will I am sure give you a more accurate explanation!

Any help?

PBUK

Last year I did at 30k TT at an average speed of 24.1 mph, and my power for that race was 270w. Since then, I've purchased a computrainer and I've seen some good gains in my power output. I was kind of hoping I could sneak in under an hour at about 285 watts. I guess I'll just have to wait until this coming summer to know for sure.