short/cut teeth on front chain rings?

Tsp

Guest
i noticed on my bike that about 2-4 teeth on each of the 3 front chain rings looks like they were
filed down or something..they werent uniform in size with each other... it looked more like a
manufacturing defect than something that got chipped or broken off.

i took it to a shop and they explained that they are there to facilitate shifts... i looked at a few
other same bikes and, sure enough, they had the same 'feature'. however, none of the other bikes
seemed to have this same design on the chain ring.

so maybe it suggests that the drivetrain is poor so that it needs the help of these shortened teeth?
i dont think the more expensive bikes had the shortened teeth

its a suntour xcc-300 or something crankset, btw

"tsp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> i noticed on my bike that about 2-4 teeth on each of the 3 front chain
rings
> looks like they were filed down or something..they werent uniform in size with each other... it
> looked more like a manufacturing defect than
something
> that got chipped or broken off.
>
> i took it to a shop and they explained that they are there to facilitate shifts... i looked at a
> few other same bikes and, sure enough, they had
the
> same 'feature'. however, none of the other bikes seemed to have this same design on the
> chain ring.
>
> so maybe it suggests that the drivetrain is poor so that it needs the help of these shortened
> teeth? i dont think the more expensive bikes had the shortened teeth
>
> its a suntour xcc-300 or something crankset, btw

Seems that ALL (well, almost all) drivetrains are pinned and ramped as well as have the differently
shaped teeth. My Dura Ace rings have the differently shaped teeth too. Can't really tell if it helps
a whole lot, but they're there.

Mike

All high-quality drivetrains have funny-shaped teeth these days. Check out this article on our
website that explains it-

http://www.chainreaction.com/chainrings.htm

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:45:21 -0500, "tsp" <[email protected]> may have said:

>i noticed on my bike that about 2-4 teeth on each of the 3 front chain rings looks like they were
>filed down or something..they werent uniform in size with each other... it looked more like a
>manufacturing defect than something that got chipped or broken off.

3 or 4 trimmed on each of the larger chain rings is typical. 5 is not uncommon.

>i took it to a shop and they explained that they are there to facilitate shifts... i looked at a
>few other same bikes and, sure enough, they had the same 'feature'. however, none of the other
>bikes seemed to have this same design on the chain ring.

Features and designs vary. There is no "standard" design.

>so maybe it suggests that the drivetrain is poor so that it needs the help of these shortened
>teeth? i dont think the more expensive bikes had the shortened teeth

Look more closely. They probably did.

>its a suntour xcc-300 or something crankset, btw

The number of clipped teeth and the severity of their reduction varies considerably from maker to
maker, and even between product lines within a given manufacturer. More trimmed teeth is not
necessarily a sign of low quality relative to one that has less. One of the least-trimmed sets I've
got is on a super-cheap beater with a one-piece crank.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:04:04 -0700, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
> Seems that ALL (well, almost all) drivetrains are pinned and ramped as well as have the
> differently shaped teeth. My Dura Ace rings have the differently shaped teeth too. Can't really
> tell if it helps a whole lot, but they're there.

More importantly, does it shift well, and do you have any problems with the short teeth?

I have some short teeth and some odd-shaped teeth on my bikes; they shift very well and don't give
me any problem. Therefore, I don't worry about them.

--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:04:04 -0700, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
> > Seems that ALL (well, almost all) drivetrains are pinned and ramped as well as have the
> > differently shaped teeth. My Dura Ace rings have the differently shaped teeth too. Can't really
> > tell if it helps a whole
lot,
> > but they're there.
>
> More importantly, does it shift well, and do you have any problems with the short teeth?
>
> I have some short teeth and some odd-shaped teeth on my bikes; they shift very well and don't give
> me any problem. Therefore, I don't worry about them.
>
> > Mike
> --
> Rick Onanian

Its a double chainring crankset. Shifting's shifting. Has been since the late 80s when I
started riding...

Mike