Short Intervals for TT training - the point?

nmcgann said:
If short interval sessions (Nx5 min or Nx2 min Vo2max-type) aren't measurably helping to raise sustainable power (i.e. FTP) is there any point to them when training exclusively for TTs?

(apart from "for variety" or "pain=good")

Neil
Why do you assume that they aren't? There have been studies that have tested high intensity training routines in relation to 40k TT efforts that have found a significant improvement in times over standard L2/L3-ish training. What was found was that LT as a percentage of VO2 max stayed relatively unchanged at about 84%, but that the higher ceiling raised threshold speed and power proportionately. The higher VO2 max pulled up FTP.

This is one thing I find kind of annoying about this site. The allegience to certain training philosophies starts to border on dogma. Don't get me wrong, SST and FTP and L4 training are very useful ways and techniques to get a high level of performance and establish a system that is easy to grasp and apply to everyday schedules. I just think there are different ways to get to the same goal. Billat and Morris style HIT techniques have their place as a foundation for training and shouldn't be dismissed. One philosophy pushes up FTP from the bottom, the other pulls it up from the top.

bbrauer said:
This is one thing I find kind of annoying about this site. The allegience to certain training philosophies starts to border on dogma.
Agree.

On L5 effects, read Jeukendrup (he works with Rabobank) 'High Performance Cycling' early in the book on high intensity invervals improving 40km TT times. I believe his 100% intensity would be MAP and not FT.

bbrauer said:
This is one thing I find kind of annoying about this site. The allegience to certain training philosophies starts to border on dogma.
Oh, I dunno man. I think on this topic we've had a bit of lively discussion with some differing views expressed. In fact, many of the posters feel that VO2 work is important. I also think that a lot of us realize that no two individuals respond to the same stimulus the same way.

bbrauer said:
:confused: Take heart. I don't think anyone on this thread ever agreed with the erroneous initial assumption, and in fact almost unanimously agreed with you that L5 intervals *would* be beneficial (whoops, that does sound a little dogmatic....).

Hooray for reading!