short legs= poor climbing potential?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by sam218, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sam218

sam218 New Member

Does the length of the legs (leverage) determine ones climbing potential, even if heart/lungs are in good condition?

Tags:

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, as your legs don't act as levers. nor does crank length (just get the cranks that feel comfy).

ric

3. PowerPunk

PowerPunk New Member

Thanks Ric! There goes my excuse!

4. cdaleguy

cdaleguy New Member

Damn! Mine too (excuse). Should a shorter-legged person get cranks to compensate?

5. abm

abm New Member

Yes, If you've been riding without a crank, getting one will improve your climbing... ;)

6. squidwranglr

squidwranglr New Member

Here's an interesting bit among Tom Compton's Analytic Cycling pages analyzing the physics of force application during a pedal revolution. You can play with the various components of the model which include, among others, thigh length and shin length to see how force (and therefore power) generation is affected.

http://www.analyticcycling.com/PedalModel_Page.html

My personal experience (as a short (5'6") cyclist, amateur triathlete) is that there are people far taller than I whom I can climb better than and vice versa. I don't think height is a major factor. What you may lose in bone length, you may gain in being lighter or having less leg mass to move around, etc.

Ric - one question for you. You unequivocally ruled out height (and therefore the length of leg bones) as a climbing performance predictor. I remember reading an article that said Lance is a "natural climber" partially because of his "very long" thigh bones. Is this an oversimplification on the part of the author/media?

Berend

7. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

climbing-geek-> long legs, light (so long legs in compr. with body length).

I'm 1.81, 90cm inner leg, 58kg in the summer :cool:

8. jagrazor

jagrazor New Member

Think about it though, a larger gear requires more power to move at the same cadence. Weither that larger gear is because of gearing, or because of longer legs, shorter/longer cranks... so basically you can make up for your legs and cranks by using different gears.

*agrees with ric* go for comfort

although, if you have a bike that has the same gearing as someone with longer legs and the same crank length as them, wouldn't your absolute maximum speed be lesser than the longer legged person?