Short Person Unicycling

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by little_lizzy, May 20, 2004.

  1. little_lizzy

    little_lizzy Guest

    Hey I was just wondering whether there was anyone else out there with
    the same problem as me.... and if they have managed to solve it!!!
    I am 5 foot tall but I love MUNI, and enjoy riding on kinda large
    wheels, but my legs are too short!!! My friends just brought a 26inch
    uni and i love it but even when the seat is as low is it can go it is
    kinda impossible to ride with any control as my feet loose contact with
    the pedals when i ride.....
    Does anyone know what would be the biggest wheel I could get whilst
    still maintaing control?

    --
    little_lizzy
    little_lizzy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6252

  2. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    You should be able to ride pretty much any size except probably a coker
    (36").

    To solve the problem with the 26er:

    1. Buy your own (your friend probably won't let you mod hers)
    2. If the seat post is bottoming out in the stem of the unicycle frame,
    you just need to cut it shorter. You can use a hacksaw.
    3. If the stem is already short enough, you may need to cut the stem of
    the unicycle.
    4. If two and three don't quite get you there (they should) you can use
    shorter crank arms.

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  3. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    i got the exact opposite problem. Im too tall, so sometimes seat posts
    are too short for me. Also, i cant seem to bring my feet up to the crown
    to glide or whatever :(

    i do agree with mcalisi tho; hacksawing your seat post is very easy and
    fast. It only takes a minute.

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  4. uni412

    uni412 Guest

  5. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

  6. special_liz

    special_liz Guest

  7. mike.hinson

    mike.hinson Guest

    Rogeratunicycledotcom has made some frames where the seat is directly on
    top of the frame, with no seat post at all. the seat height is adjusted
    by having the frame legs adjustable.

    I cant find the pictures of it, but I am pretty sure there is a picture
    somewhere of Gemma riding a Coker with this frame.

    /\/\

    --
    mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

    "I have to overcome a 'stress hill' when tightening the nuts, but once
    installed they sit in a 'stress valley'. "

    --Klaas Bil
    mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

  8. If you do resort to cutting either the frame or the seatpost, you should
    take it in to a bike shop. Chances are they're have the tools to cut it
    down to size and they should do it for free because it's only about a
    minute-long job. There's a great tool that cuts piping at perfect right
    angles and really smoothly and cleanly. It will look a lot better than
    a hacksaw job unless you're particularly gifted with a hacksaw. :)

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  9. little_leigh

    little_leigh Guest

    I am about 5 foot too but i dont seem to remember having much problems
    with wheel size! I do find larger wheels more difficult though and have
    not been able to successful mount a coker unassisted but i think there
    is some lazyness on my part.

    Like Mike says unicycle.uk.com sell adjustable frames for cokers and for
    taller people you can get extra long seat posts i think!

    --
    little_leigh - 1ft all the way!

    *-* Just nod and smile *-*
    little_leigh's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6356

  10. "little_lizzy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Hey I was just wondering whether there was anyone else out there with
    > the same problem as me.... and if they have managed to solve it!!!
    > I am 5 foot tall but I love MUNI, and enjoy riding on kinda large
    > wheels, but my legs are too short!!! My friends just brought a 26inch
    > uni and i love it but even when the seat is as low is it can go it is
    > kinda impossible to ride with any control as my feet loose contact with
    > the pedals when i ride.....
    > Does anyone know what would be the biggest wheel I could get whilst
    > still maintain control?

    Crank length + wheel radius = inseam?

  11. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:
    > *
    > "little_lizzy" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Hey I was just wondering whether there was anyone else out there

    > with
    > > the same problem as me.... and if they have managed to solve it!!!
    > > I am 5 foot tall but I love MUNI, and enjoy riding on kinda large
    > > wheels, but my legs are too short!!! My friends just brought a

    > 26inch
    > > uni and i love it but even when the seat is as low is it can go it

    > is
    > > kinda impossible to ride with any control as my feet loose contact

    > with
    > > the pedals when i ride.....
    > > Does anyone know what would be the biggest wheel I could get

    > whilst
    > > still maintain control?

    > Crank length + wheel radius = inseam?
    >

    > *

    Unfortunately it is more complex than that. I come pretty close when I
    ask the customer for measurements from their street uni, and take
    careful measurements from the intended frame and seat, and pedals too if
    possible.

    Air seats are all different, and the air pressure in them. Also, the
    intended riding type (off-road, on-road) matters, as does the person's
    leg formation. For example, my feet are slightly different, affecting
    my relationship with the pedals, so that my saddle has to be lower than
    it might be otherwise.

    If a person gets a comfortable setting on a smaller uni, then measures
    from the top of the bottom pedal to the top of the saddle along the seat
    post, that's a pretty good measurement to try to transfer to the larger
    uni. After that it's lots of riding and some fine tuning.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  12. mike.hinson wrote:
    > *Rogeratunicycledotcom has made some frames where the seat is directly
    > on top of the frame, with no seat post at all. the seat height is
    > adjusted by having the frame legs adjustable.
    >
    > I cant find the pictures of it, but I am pretty sure there is a
    > picture somewhere of Gemma riding a Coker with this frame.
    >
    > /\/\ *

    The design actually works for smaller wheels. We have done one for a
    child who wanted to ride a 29". He was if I remember rightly 4'6" tall.
    Joe Mclean has bought the bits and is making a Muni for his 8 year old
    using the same frame technique - he used a 24" frame as the doner
    frame.

    Picture of the frame is at:
    http://tinyurl.com/ruzd

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  13. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    I think if I needed a frame cut down, I'd have a pro do it.

    The first time I needed a seat post cut, I took it to my LBS. They used
    a hacksaw and charged me $7USD. For my next one, I bought a hacksaw for
    $5USD. The bottom of the seat post is inside the frame so you never see
    the cut anyways. My cut looks as good (or bad) as the LBS.

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  14. deadlydes

    deadlydes Guest

  15. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *they should do it for free because it's only about a minute-long
    > job.*

    I don't think it's reasonable to expect a bike shop to do work for free.
    They may not charge you, but they are paying for lots of overhead,
    people's time, and wear-and-tear on the tools. Just cutting seat posts
    alone uses hacksaw blades up quite fast.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  16. joemc

    joemc Guest

    rogeratunicycledotcom wrote:
    > *
    >
    > Joe Mclean has bought the bits and is making a Muni for his 8 year
    > old using the same frame technique - he used a 24" frame as the doner
    > frame.
    >
    > *

    It's underway. Pic at http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuu71/minimuni
    with the seatpost plate welded as low as it will go, it just squeezes
    down to the required 530mm from lower pedal spindle to seat base. (I'm
    not going to add the adjustment until he grows a couple of inches). Halo
    Choirboy 24 x 2.6 tyre and wellgo pedals coming from LBS next week. I'm
    fabricating the handle this weekend, welded to the fork crown,
    independant of the seat. No doubt he'll be wanting a brake on it too.
    I've still got 2 weeks until his birthday...

    He's going to have to come on the chopped 20" to the muni ride next
    weekend. If you're coming, remember not to mention this 'cos Obie
    doesn't know about it yet!!!

    --
    joemc - mostly harmless
    joemc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3389

  17. Uniwitold

    Uniwitold Guest

    I have shortened few frames including Cocker.
    The esasiest is to use pipe cutter.
    More difficult part is to recreate formidable split at the back to
    facilitate fixing the post.
    It would be wise to ask professionals to do it unless one likes and can
    use some simple tools like drills and mini-grinders.:)

    --
    Uniwitold

    Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
    Harper.
    Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181