Short question Re: Ketosis

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by warren, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. warren

    warren Guest

    Short Question on Ketosis

    I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
    were not showing that I was in K.
    So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
    little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
    (redder) the scale. It did a little.
    The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
    deeper K will I lose faster???
    2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

    I do understand Intake Versus what you are burning.

    Thanks
    Warren

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    warren wrote:
    :: Short Question on Ketosis
    ::
    :: I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
    :: were not showing that I was in K.
    :: So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
    :: little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color
    :: up (redder) the scale. It did a little.
    :: The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
    :: deeper K will I lose faster???

    No.

    :: 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???
    ::

    Yes.

    If you're following the rule and losing, don't worry about the rest.

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi Warren,

    I have not found the strips, in my neighbourhood called 'Ketostix,' to
    be a particularly reliable indicator of anything. Sometime they read
    absolutely nothing after consuming next to zero carbs and at other times
    they turn pink with 30+ grams of carbs. Only once did they show a dark
    red colour and I have no idea why on that occasion. The response also
    seemed to be dependant on the time of day I took the reading.

    I concur with Roger. Don't worry about the strips, particularly if you
    are continuing to lose weight.

    --
    All the best,
    Pete

    Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
    Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

  4. warren wrote:

    > I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
    > were not showing that I was in K.
    > So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
    > little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
    > (redder) the scale. It did a little.

    reddER as in more red? If the sticks turned color at all
    then that's positive for ketosis. Ketosis is like
    pregnancy, there isn't a little or a lot there's yes or
    no.

    So there are two separate questions to be addressed:

    1) If the sticks turned color at all before then your problem
    is understanding that trace is positive not that you weren't
    in ketosis.

    > The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
    > deeper K will I lose faster???

    2) Yes. More dietary fat does in fact mean more fat
    withdrawn from storage. BUT this is limited. Overeat
    and the effect stops. Basically the strategy is to
    replace lean high-protein foods with the same calories
    worth of higher-fat foods. Not more, different.

    I know that's not obvious. Oh well. If the obvious
    worked, who would ever be fat? It works because of how
    the hormones work: insulin and glucagon.

    > 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

    Sure. It will dilute your urine and could move the
    amount of ketones lower than those inaccurate sticks
    can detect.

    > I do understand Intake Versus what you are burning.

    Few do. Increasing metabolism (driving up blood
    glucagon) has as much impact as reducing intake. And
    often reducing intake reduces metabolism.

  5. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

    > Short Question on Ketosis
    >
    > I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
    > were not showing that I was in K.
    > So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
    > little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
    > (redder) the scale. It did a little.
    > The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
    > deeper K will I lose faster???

    No. Being in ketosis is like being pregnant -- you either are or you
    aren't. The amount of ketosis is not important. It just means you are
    burning fat for fuel. You will not lose faster due solely to how much
    ketosis shows up on your urine stick.

    > 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

    Yes. You can be in ketosis and not show it if you are drinking a lot of
    water. That doesn't mean you AREN'T in ketosis, and keeping well-
    hydrated is GOOD for you, so don't get dehydrated in an effort to make a
    stick turn a deeper shade of purple :) I used the Ketostix at first,
    but they were a hassle and I knew I was doing Atkins right, so I just
    stopped using them. Unless you are really unsure of how what you are
    eating might be affecting you, they really aren't necessary. For
    instance, if you add a new food or up your carb level and it may have
    questionable impact as far as knocking you out of ketosis, you might
    want to test just so you know. If you aren't really making any changes,
    I don't see the point, especially if they are driving you crazy :)

    --
    Saffire
    205/135/125

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  6. warren

    warren Guest

    excellent thanx

    Saffire wrote:
    > *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
    > in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

    >>Short Question on Ketosis
    >>
    >>I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
    >>were not showing that I was in K.
    >>So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
    >>little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
    >>(redder) the scale. It did a little.
    >>The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
    >>deeper K will I lose faster???

    > No. Being in ketosis is like being pregnant -- you either are or you
    > aren't. The amount of ketosis is not important. It just means you are
    > burning fat for fuel. You will not lose faster due solely to how much
    > ketosis shows up on your urine stick.
    >

    >>2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

    > Yes. You can be in ketosis and not show it if you are drinking a lot of
    > water. That doesn't mean you AREN'T in ketosis, and keeping well-
    > hydrated is GOOD for you, so don't get dehydrated in an effort to make a
    > stick turn a deeper shade of purple :) I used the Ketostix at first,
    > but they were a hassle and I knew I was doing Atkins right, so I just
    > stopped using them. Unless you are really unsure of how what you are
    > eating might be affecting you, they really aren't necessary. For
    > instance, if you add a new food or up your carb level and it may have
    > questionable impact as far as knocking you out of ketosis, you might
    > want to test just so you know. If you aren't really making any changes,
    > I don't see the point, especially if they are driving you crazy :)

  7. warren

    warren Guest

    To All
    thanks for all the great answers