Short question Re: Ketosis

warren

Guest
Short Question on Ketosis

I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
were not showing that I was in K.
So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
(redder) the scale. It did a little.
The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
deeper K will I lose faster???
2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

I do understand Intake Versus what you are burning.

Thanks
Warren

warren wrote:
:: Short Question on Ketosis
::
:: I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
:: were not showing that I was in K.
:: So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
:: little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color
:: up (redder) the scale. It did a little.
:: The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
:: deeper K will I lose faster???

No.

:: 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???
::

Yes.

If you're following the rule and losing, don't worry about the rest.

Hi Warren,

I have not found the strips, in my neighbourhood called 'Ketostix,' to
be a particularly reliable indicator of anything. Sometime they read
absolutely nothing after consuming next to zero carbs and at other times
they turn pink with 30+ grams of carbs. Only once did they show a dark
red colour and I have no idea why on that occasion. The response also
seemed to be dependant on the time of day I took the reading.

I concur with Roger. Don't worry about the strips, particularly if you
are continuing to lose weight.

--
All the best,
Pete

Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

warren wrote:

> I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
> were not showing that I was in K.
> So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
> little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
> (redder) the scale. It did a little.

reddER as in more red? If the sticks turned color at all
then that's positive for ketosis. Ketosis is like
pregnancy, there isn't a little or a lot there's yes or
no.

So there are two separate questions to be addressed:

1) If the sticks turned color at all before then your problem
is understanding that trace is positive not that you weren't
in ketosis.

> The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
> deeper K will I lose faster???

2) Yes. More dietary fat does in fact mean more fat
withdrawn from storage. BUT this is limited. Overeat
and the effect stops. Basically the strategy is to
replace lean high-protein foods with the same calories
worth of higher-fat foods. Not more, different.

I know that's not obvious. Oh well. If the obvious
worked, who would ever be fat? It works because of how
the hormones work: insulin and glucagon.

> 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

Sure. It will dilute your urine and could move the
amount of ketones lower than those inaccurate sticks
can detect.

> I do understand Intake Versus what you are burning.

Few do. Increasing metabolism (driving up blood
glucagon) has as much impact as reducing intake. And
often reducing intake reduces metabolism.

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

> Short Question on Ketosis
>
> I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
> were not showing that I was in K.
> So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
> little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
> (redder) the scale. It did a little.
> The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
> deeper K will I lose faster???

No. Being in ketosis is like being pregnant -- you either are or you
aren't. The amount of ketosis is not important. It just means you are
burning fat for fuel. You will not lose faster due solely to how much
ketosis shows up on your urine stick.

> 2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

Yes. You can be in ketosis and not show it if you are drinking a lot of
water. That doesn't mean you AREN'T in ketosis, and keeping well-
hydrated is GOOD for you, so don't get dehydrated in an effort to make a
stick turn a deeper shade of purple :) I used the Ketostix at first,
but they were a hassle and I knew I was doing Atkins right, so I just
stopped using them. Unless you are really unsure of how what you are
eating might be affecting you, they really aren't necessary. For
instance, if you add a new food or up your carb level and it may have
questionable impact as far as knocking you out of ketosis, you might
want to test just so you know. If you aren't really making any changes,
I don't see the point, especially if they are driving you crazy :)

--
Saffire
205/135/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

excellent thanx

Saffire wrote:
> *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
> in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

>>Short Question on Ketosis
>>
>>I was eating less then 20g of carb and losing weight. But the Strips
>>were not showing that I was in K.
>>So Last night as an experiment I ate a big steak, string beans and a
>>little cheese. I ate more red meat to see if it would move the color up
>>(redder) the scale. It did a little.
>>The question is. If I up my red meat (for example) which puts me into
>>deeper K will I lose faster???

> No. Being in ketosis is like being pregnant -- you either are or you
> aren't. The amount of ketosis is not important. It just means you are
> burning fat for fuel. You will not lose faster due solely to how much
> ketosis shows up on your urine stick.
>

>>2nd question. Will water (large amounts) distort the strip reading???

> Yes. You can be in ketosis and not show it if you are drinking a lot of
> water. That doesn't mean you AREN'T in ketosis, and keeping well-
> hydrated is GOOD for you, so don't get dehydrated in an effort to make a
> stick turn a deeper shade of purple :) I used the Ketostix at first,
> but they were a hassle and I knew I was doing Atkins right, so I just
> stopped using them. Unless you are really unsure of how what you are
> eating might be affecting you, they really aren't necessary. For
> instance, if you add a new food or up your carb level and it may have
> questionable impact as far as knocking you out of ketosis, you might
> want to test just so you know. If you aren't really making any changes,
> I don't see the point, especially if they are driving you crazy :)

To All
thanks for all the great answers