Short Reach STI Lever Solutions for small hands?

RoadAngel

Feb 15, 2007
Hi guys and girls,

Does anybody have any idea for shortening the reach on the Shimano STI levers? I am hoping the ladies on the forum may be able to help out!

I've looked for the ST-R700s, but they look mighty expensive for what they do. I'm currenty using Ultegra 10 levers, but they're just a smidgen short for my reach, and I find myself stuggling to get to the lever.

I've tried Campy Ergo, but don't like the way the thumb buttons feel (must be my smallish girly thumbs!)

Whatever ideas you have that work and can throw my way would be much appreciated.

Ta,

Ange

You can purchase or make shims to move your levers a little closer to the bars ( http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25305 )

You can also get handlebars with an eronomic bend in them that acts to move your hands closer to the levers - there are several brands that you could check out - like salsa short and shallow or ritchey biomax

Also play around with the lever placment on the bars. Often shops set the levers up too high on the bars when they set up bikes for women. You might need to take the bar tape off to move them around enough.

One more thing... :) you will get used to reaching the levers and feel more comfortable with it sooner or later. I'm on a women's team and almost all of our new people say that they have a hard time reaching their brakes when riding in the drops. Most of them can reach fine, they are just uncomfortable and unused to doing it. I'm small with small hands. I am very particular about my lever placement on the bars, but I don't use shims, ergo bars or short reach levers.

"Hello everyone. My name is Ben, and................I have small hands too."

"Hello, Ben":D

Seriously, shims are really easy to make with a little bit of rubber and some rubber cement. I made some and no more problem. Just remember to not make the lever TOO close to the bar, or the smaller plastic lever will hit it when you enage the brake.

Eden said:
You can purchase or make shims to move your levers a little closer to the bars ( http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25305 )

Thanks Eden, but unfortunately, these don't seem to be available for purchase outside the US.

Do you or anybody else know if they (or the Shimano ones even) are available for purchase elsewhere?

Eden said:
You can also get handlebars with an eronomic bend in them that acts to move your hands closer to the levers - there are several brands that you could check out - like salsa short and shallow or ritchey biomax

I'm using a Deda Newton bar, I think the short and shallow anatomic bend variant. Do you know if the Ritchey or Salsa bars allow closer placement?

Eden said:
One more thing... :) you will get used to reaching the levers and feel more comfortable with it sooner or later.

I've been doing regular riding a few times a week for about two years now, and still don't find it comfortable, which is why I am looking for a solution.

Ange

RoadAngel said:
Thanks Eden, but unfortunately, these don't seem to be available for purchase outside the US.

Do you or anybody else know if they (or the Shimano ones even) are available for purchase elsewhere?
Wow, this is like the 2nd time in less than a month that someone on CyclingForums.com has wanted, in fact clearly*needed* Specialized Slim Shims, and not been able to get them because they live outside the USA.

You'd think some observant & entrepenurial stateside member would step up and, um, er, Fill The Need. Preferably one who accepts PayPal.

(Not that I'm offerring, as clearly that would be in violation of some international anti-trust laws or Ethics of Commerce 101...I'm just saying...)

Bob Ross said:
Wow, this is like the 2nd time in less than a month that someone on CyclingForums.com has wanted, in fact clearly*needed* Specialized Slim Shims, and not been able to get them because they live outside the USA.

Hi Bob, yes, somebody should!

Good news is, I think I've found them! This seller offers the Shimano ones.

See here (10mm) and here (20mm).

I'm not related to the seller or anything, just wanting to pass on the good info. Bought a pair last night - will post a report once I receive them and fit them.

Thanks to all for helping out.

Ange

The older 8-speed Sora STI's had an adjustable stop-screw, which does the same job as the shim, but is already there, adjustable, and permanent.

Not sure if the latest ones still have it, but worth a look.

RoadAngel said:
I'm not related to the seller or anything, just wanting to pass on the good info. Bought a pair last night - will post a report once I receive them and fit them.
Just thought I would post a report on these shims that I bought.

They do fit perfectly, like the seller says, but you have to make sure you cut off the front rubber nipple. Its a neat and tidy appearance, and suits my ultegra 10 levers well.

I very much like the shorter reach that it affords. Before I could only *just* touch the lever, now, I can get my fingers around it from the drops.

Highly recommended in my book!

Thanks again to all who commented.

Ange

What I've done is to loosen the cable tension on the brake calipers a little so that when I hold onto the brake lever while going fast downhill and in the drops it's not clamping down on the brakes but I have my fingers fully around the levers. So if I need to pull the brakes I can still get full clamping force if needed but while I'm riding I can kinda squeeze the levers without actually braking. It gives me the ability to hold the levers better with my smallish hands. I just adjust it to my liking and make sure I can fully engage the brake when I pull on the levers.

Does that make sense? It's kind of like what the shims do but without the shims.