Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function .....

listener

Guest
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=

Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic Dilated
Cardiomyopathy

"Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
atherosclerotic heart disease. "

L.

[email protected] wrote:
> http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
>

> Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
> Dilated Cardiomyopathy
>

> "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
> associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
> therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
> atherosclerotic heart disease. "

Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people - insmonia
- & dementia??

On 2 Mar 2004 19:56:09 +1300, Brian Sandle
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
>>

>> Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
>> Dilated Cardiomyopathy
>>

>> "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
>> associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
>> therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
>> atherosclerotic heart disease. "
>
>Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
>stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people -
>insmonia - & dementia??

Yes, I would think that different mechanisms of metabolism and drug transport have some relevance.

L.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2004 19:56:09 +1300, Brian Sandle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>> http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
>>>

>>> Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
>>> Dilated Cardiomyopathy
>>>

>>> "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
>>> associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
>>> therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
>>> atherosclerotic heart disease. "
>>
>>Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
>>stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people -
>>insmonia - & dementia??
>
> Yes, I would think that different mechanisms of metabolism and drug transport have some relevance.

So it looks as is the claims should be more specific. They should not, for example be allowed to
claim statin benefits, then say get the benefit from water-soluble statin if you have side effects.

Also do you know waht are side effects? Dementia is very common and debilitating. If it is ischaemic
then statins may help to avoid it somewhat. But if it is being worsened because the cholesterol-
dependent memory function is being directly affected that is another story.

We need to be more accurate.

On 2-Mar-2004, Brian Sandle <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dementia is very common and debilitating. If it is ischaemic then statins may help to avoid it
> somewhat. But if it is being worsened because the cholesterol-dependent memory function is being
> directly affected that is another story.

This is why I occasionally recommend a 'drug holiday'; a few weeks off statin therapy, to test the
waters a bit. The non-lipid lowering effects of statins can be sufficiently maintained with less
aggressive therapy. For example, 4 servings of Soy, with 5 capsules of marine lipid concentrate AM
and PM, 40 mg of ASA, 6000% above FDA for folic acid, B3 (niacin) B6 and B12 must be in place at
least a few weeks before going off the statin. In more cases than not, these individuals can go on
and transfer to red rice yeast, guggul and policosanol at moderate amounts and maintain if not
improve lipid profiles.

--
Winning against heart attack and stroke http://www.sonoscore.com

"Sonos" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>6000% above FDA for folic acid, B3 (niacin) B6 and B12 must be in place at least a few weeks before
>going off the statin.

60 tablets a day of 400mmg folate?! 24mg/day?!

For that matter, 120mg/day of B6?!
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Folic acid 24 mg Niacin (B3) 1200 mg Pyroxiding (B6) 120 mg
B12 0.36 mg

As to the folic acid, you might seek out a higher strength
capsule/tablet than just 400 mcg.