Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function .....

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by listener, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. listener

    listener Guest

    http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=

    Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic Dilated
    Cardiomyopathy

    "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
    associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
    therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
    atherosclerotic heart disease. "

    L.
     
    Tags:


  2. Brian Sandle

    Brian Sandle Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
    >
    >
    > Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
    > Dilated Cardiomyopathy
    >
    >
    > "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
    > associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
    > therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
    > atherosclerotic heart disease. "

    Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
    stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people - insmonia
    - & dementia??
     
  3. listener

    listener Guest

    On 2 Mar 2004 19:56:09 +1300, Brian Sandle
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
    >>
    >>
    >> Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
    >> Dilated Cardiomyopathy
    >>
    >>
    >> "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
    >> associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
    >> therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
    >> atherosclerotic heart disease. "
    >
    >Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
    >stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people -
    >insmonia - & dementia??

    Yes, I would think that different mechanisms of metabolism and drug transport have some relevance.

    L.
     
  4. Brian Sandle

    Brian Sandle Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2004 19:56:09 +1300, Brian Sandle <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>> http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/7/839?maxtoshow=
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Short-Term Statin Therapy Improves Cardiac Function and Symptoms in Patients With Idiopathic
    >>> Dilated Cardiomyopathy
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Short-term statin therapy improves cardiac function, neurohormonal imbalance, and symptoms
    >>> associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. These findings suggest that statins may have
    >>> therapeutic benefits in patients with heart failure irrespective of serum cholesterol levels or
    >>> atherosclerotic heart disease. "
    >>
    >>Is there a difference between the lipid-soluble and non-ls statins? The ls ones may be better at
    >>stopping proliferation of smooth muscle, but also have more brain effects for some people -
    >>insmonia - & dementia??
    >
    > Yes, I would think that different mechanisms of metabolism and drug transport have some relevance.

    So it looks as is the claims should be more specific. They should not, for example be allowed to
    claim statin benefits, then say get the benefit from water-soluble statin if you have side effects.

    Also do you know waht are side effects? Dementia is very common and debilitating. If it is ischaemic
    then statins may help to avoid it somewhat. But if it is being worsened because the cholesterol-
    dependent memory function is being directly affected that is another story.

    We need to be more accurate.
     
  5. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    On 2-Mar-2004, Brian Sandle <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dementia is very common and debilitating. If it is ischaemic then statins may help to avoid it
    > somewhat. But if it is being worsened because the cholesterol-dependent memory function is being
    > directly affected that is another story.

    This is why I occasionally recommend a 'drug holiday'; a few weeks off statin therapy, to test the
    waters a bit. The non-lipid lowering effects of statins can be sufficiently maintained with less
    aggressive therapy. For example, 4 servings of Soy, with 5 capsules of marine lipid concentrate AM
    and PM, 40 mg of ASA, 6000% above FDA for folic acid, B3 (niacin) B6 and B12 must be in place at
    least a few weeks before going off the statin. In more cases than not, these individuals can go on
    and transfer to red rice yeast, guggul and policosanol at moderate amounts and maintain if not
    improve lipid profiles.

    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke http://www.sonoscore.com
     
  6. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    "Sonos" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

    >6000% above FDA for folic acid, B3 (niacin) B6 and B12 must be in place at least a few weeks before
    >going off the statin.

    60 tablets a day of 400mmg folate?! 24mg/day?!

    For that matter, 120mg/day of B6?!
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
     
  7. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    Folic acid 24 mg Niacin (B3) 1200 mg Pyroxiding (B6) 120 mg
    B12 0.36 mg

    As to the folic acid, you might seek out a higher strength
    capsule/tablet than just 400 mcg.
    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke
    http://www.sonoscore.com
     
  8. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    Folic acid 24 mg Niacin (B3) 1200 mg Pyroxiding (B6) 120 mg
    B12 0.36 mg

    As to the folic acid, you might seek out a higher strength
    capsule/tablet than just 400 mcg.
    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke
    http://www.sonoscore.com
     
  9. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    Folic acid 24 mg Niacin (B3) 1200 mg Pyroxiding (B6) 120 mg
    B12 0.36 mg

    As to the folic acid, you might seek out a higher strength
    capsule/tablet than just 400 mcg.
    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke
    http://www.sonoscore.com
     
Loading...