Short video - Thunderbird Park trials...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by andrew_carter, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. Today was my 20th birthday, and what better way to celebrate than to
    break about a 3 month long unicycling hiatus and go to a bike trials
    comp!

    The competition itself wasn't great because I wasn't riding well, but
    playing around afterwards was fantastic!

    Here are four clips: two lines and one nice fall at the end. :) The
    video is 1 minute long, 3.5MB, WMV encoded, and shot in 16:9. The
    soundtrack (which Austin Powers fans will recognise) is "Soul Bossa
    Nova" by Quincy Jone and His Orchestra.

    http://tinyurl.com/dcvng

    Enjoy!
    Andrew

    |Filename: preview_tbird_park.jpg |

    andrew_carter

    ...well that's what i think anyway.
    *'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
    'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
    '\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
    (http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

  2. Woooh, that's definitely stepping up the skinnies! I wondered how long
    it would be before unicycle got into the Ryan Leech-chain riding
    skinnies.

    Well done man.

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    94cm Highest Hop
    287cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  3. Erant

    Erant Guest

  4. MattyJ

    MattyJ Guest

  5. chosen

    chosen Guest

  6. gordythegon

    gordythegon Guest

  7. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    Sweet video, man! That rope-riding was amazing! So many people have
    told me you can do it by taking the tyre off and keeping the rope
    within the rim-walls, now I can tell them you don't need to take the
    tyre off at all! (that doesn't mean i could do it tho!)

    Happy birthday too, fella!

    T.

    --
    DarkTom

    '*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth
    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    \"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  8. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    Thanks for (all) the video(s). You own the wheel!

    Incredible riding, I have to keep reminding myself that you and few
    others are world class riders, just so I don't get discouraged at my
    (lack of) skills.

    Good thing I read that you were OK and intact before I saw that fall
    :eek: You have the most spectacular falls on film, please continue to
    keep it safe so there is more of your skilled riding to watch.

    Yeah, and Happy birthday!

    --
    Chrashing

    Regards,___________If the sun is shinning I want to be riding.
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  9. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

  10. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    With the way you appear to "stay glued" to any skinny you ride, I'm
    surprized that you would take a three month hiatus.

    Happy birthday, too! I turn 20 this coming Friday.

    You've inspired me to work on, and set goals in rail riding.

    Thanks for that vid,
    Evan

    P.S. are you wearing your 661's the wrong way? It looks like the logo
    on the sides is facing in, and not out.

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  11. mango

    mango Guest

  12. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    awesome video, the last clip looked like it hurt, but at least you
    landed on your thigh and not your jewels :)

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*, reply number
    '50,000' (http://tinyurl.com/d5pmu) in the most replys thread

  13. Thanks a lot everyone. :)
    "unicyclistjoe" wrote:
    > I wondered how long it would be before unicycle got into the Ryan
    > Leech-chain riding skinnies.

    Let's not forget though that people have been -idling- on -slack-ropes
    while -juggling- for years!

    "MattyJ" wrote:
    > Sorry I laughed at the fall. Glad you weren't hurt badly *wince*
    > Happy birthday too. 20 is a good age

    That's okay...I laughed during the fall. :) 20 is a good age, I don't
    think I want to get much older.

    "DarkTom" wrote:
    > So many people have told me you can do it by taking the tyre off and
    > keeping the rope within the rim-walls, now I can tell them you don't
    > need to take the tyre off at all! (that doesn't mean I could do it
    > tho!)

    The tyre rolled/slipped off quite a few times. The interesting
    difference between riding this and something the same width but solid
    is that normally you can make up for a little bit of sideways balance
    by moving left or right on the rail...with this you have to try to stay
    dead centre. Since it has a little bit of play though (I don't know
    that I'd call it a slackrope) you seem to be able to make more
    effective balance corrections somehow. If you try to lean left, not
    only will your upper body lean left, but the unicycle will swing right
    slightly...I think.

    "Chrashing" wrote:
    > Incredible riding, I have to keep reminding myself that you and few
    > others are world class riders, just so I don't get discouraged at my
    > (lack of) skills.
    > Good thing I read that you were OK and intact before I saw that fall
    > You have the most spectacular falls on film, please continue to keep it
    > safe so there is more of your skilled riding to watch.

    Thanks, though I'm really not a world class rider. Don't be fooled into
    thinking I got these lines down in a couple of tries...more like 30
    minutes of tries. :) Although I've had some fun looking crashes, I
    seem to be able to stay injury free, which is nice.

    "TrialsUni" wrote:
    > With the way you appear to "stay glued" to any skinny you ride, I'm
    > surprized that you would take a three month hiatus.
    > Happy birthday, too! I turn 20 this coming Friday.
    > You've inspired me to work on, and set goals in rail riding.
    > Thanks for that vid,
    > Evan
    > P.S. are you wearing your 661's the wrong way? It looks like the logo
    > on the sides is facing in, and not out.

    I've never been sure which way they should go, but they've always been
    more comfortable to me this way and easier to put on with the straps on
    the inside. Happy Birthday to you too!

    As for the hiatus, I think a large part of it is because I don't like
    riding in front of people so my trials options have been a bit
    limited.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    ...well that's what i think anyway.
    *'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
    'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
    '\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
    (http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

  14. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > As for the hiatus, I think a large part of it is because I don't like
    > riding in front of people so my trials options have been a bit limited.

    I've had to get over this one, myself...It's not easy riding around on
    a campus full of college kids. But, somehow, I've been able to block
    people out and concentrate only on trials lines...unless, of course, a
    passerby has a question, or a comment.

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  15. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

  16. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

  17. Alex,
    Yeah I know, I wasn't the one saying it was slack. Good fun though.
    The bail would have been okay, but you see my right foot slip. The log
    was really slippery by that time because I and two bike guys had tried
    a fair bit before that shot.

    monkeyman,
    I got up straight away, didn't really hurt myself...I only lay in th
    water a bit because I was too busy laughing and it was nice cool water
    on a hot summer's day. :) That's not to say it didn't hurt a little
    though.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    ...well that's what i think anyway.
    *'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
    'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
    '\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
    (http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

  18. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    Man, how refreshing is that to take a dive into that nice cold water :D
    and that was pretty kool to see you ride on the rope, now for you to
    get on there, start hopping a little and pull some 180s or 360, some
    crankflips, you know, and happy late b-day =p

    --
    Jerrick

    You cant make me put something here!!! I just wont!!! It goes against
    everything i believe in!... Oh, your gonna pay me to do it? Ok =p

  19. I was going to try riding along forwards then backwards but ran out of
    energy and time. Next time I'm there I'll try some 180's....no
    promises though!

    Andrew