Shorten a Hayes pre-bled disk brake?

D T W .../\\...

Guest
I bought a set of Hayes Comp front and rear brakes, all assembled and bled.
The front length is OK but the rear is too long.
Is it easier, or does it make a difference, to shorten it by cutting at the
lever or caliper end?
I have a bleed kit and I'm all set there.

btw, I haven't read all of the directions yet ;-)

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:37:18 -0800, D T W .../\... <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I bought a set of Hayes Comp front and rear brakes, all assembled and
> bled.
> The front length is OK but the rear is too long.
> Is it easier, or does it make a difference, to shorten it by cutting at
> the
> lever or caliper end?
> I have a bleed kit and I'm all set there.
>
> btw, I haven't read all of the directions yet ;-)
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
> The rest, I've just wasted.

If it's the newer G2 caliper, you have no choice, it can only be shortened
at the Master side. If it's the older style caliper, I always opt to
shorten at the caliper due to how easy it is to snap the tiny inlet tube
on the Master cylinder
http://www.pbase.com/slack/image/7278213
--
Slack

I've got the hose cut a few inches forward of the caliper and I've read all
of the directions.
I have the G1 model and I'm stuck on how to get the compression bushing off
of the banjo bolt.
It turns easily. Do I just PULL! ?
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

D T W .../\... wrote:
> I've got the hose cut a few inches forward of the caliper and I've
> read all of the directions.
> I have the G1 model and I'm stuck on how to get the compression
> bushing off of the banjo bolt.
> It turns easily. Do I just PULL! ?

You can pull it off, but pull straight. The barb tube is easy to snap off.

When you hook it back up tighten the compression nut just until about 1mm of
the "olive" is showing.

Mike

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:57:08 -0800, D T W .../\... <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I've got the hose cut a few inches forward of the caliper and I've read
> all
> of the directions.
> I have the G1 model and I'm stuck on how to get the compression bushing
> off
> of the banjo bolt.
> It turns easily. Do I just PULL! ?
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Yes, pull, but the trick is to make sure you pull it straight. Mount the
caliper or banjo in a vise, grab the hose with a good gripping pliers and
1 2 3 yank.

After you've snapped two inlet tubes, you learn to back off the torque on
the nut when you're installing. At least the Banjo is a cheap replacement.
Let me know if you have any problems... I have a spare I can give you :)
--
Slack

You can pull it off, but pull straight. The barb tube is easy to snap off.
When you hook it back up tighten the compression nut just until about 1mm of
the "olive" is showing.

Mike

Yes, pull, but the trick is to make sure you pull it straight. Mount the
caliper or banjo in a vise, grab the hose with a good gripping pliers and
1 2 3 yank.
After you've snapped two inlet tubes, you learn to back off the torque on
the nut when you're installing. At least the Banjo is a cheap replacement.
Let me know if you have any problems... I have a spare I can give you :)
--
Slack

got it - thanks guys