shortening a Campy chain

Charles Beristain

Guest
The chain on my bike ( campy record 10 speed setup) is too long and
needs to be shortened.

I'm basically a mountain biker, using sram chains with a quick link..
and just not familiar with campy stuff.

From what i've read, I need a special tool and a special link .. is
that true? any idea of the cost?

Also, I've heard that a sram 9 speed chain can be used on this 10
speed setup without any detrimental effects ... true? this may be a
less expensive alternative if it works.

thanks
charlie

charlie-<< The chain on my bike ( campy record 10 speed setup) is too long and
needs to be shortened. >><BR><BR>
<< From what i've read, I need a special tool and a special link .. is
that true? any idea of the cost? >><BR><BR>

Yes to the special link if you want to use the Campagnolo pin but find a
Wipperman 10s link and use that.

Charlie<< Also, I've heard that a sram 9 speed chain can be used on this 10
speed setup without any detrimental effects ... true? this may be a
less expensive alternative if it works. >><BR><BR>

Not sram but yes to a 105 shimano 9s chain. 'May' be a bit noisier but it
works.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 26 Jun 2004 12:56:09 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Yes to the special link if you want to use the Campagnolo pin but find a
>Wipperman 10s link and use that.

Peter
thanks!

and I don't need a special tool... a regular chain tool will work?

thanks
charlie

Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 26 Jun 2004 12:56:09 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo ) wrote:
>
> >Yes to the special link if you want to use the Campagnolo pin but find a
> >Wipperman 10s link and use that.

> Peter
> thanks!
>
> and I don't need a special tool... a regular chain tool will work?
>
> thanks
> charlie

Yuppers - crack that crappy permalink and remove the desired number of
links with a standard chain tool and then follow the above suggestion.

App

pete-<< Yuppers - crack that crappy permalink >><BR><BR>

The 'permalink' has been gone for almost 2 years.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> pete-<< Yuppers - crack that crappy permalink >><BR><BR>
>
> The 'permalink' has been gone for almost 2 years.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Hey, maybe he's still got one. And any chain without a replaceable
link is lame, even with replaceable pins.

App

On 27 Jun 2004 18:29:41 -0700, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>Hey, maybe he's still got one. And any chain without a replaceable
>link is lame, even with replaceable pins.
>
>App

I don't think I have a permalink or quicklink of any sort on the campy
10 speed chain.... I'm looking around now for that wipperman quicklink

thanks

charlie

Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Yes to the special link if you want to use the Campagnolo pin but find a
>Wipperman 10s link and use that.

I found the wipperman link and also found a campy
super link ... the wippeman is for a 6.2mm chain and the campy is for
6.1mm chain. .. is one better than the other or should i just get
whichever is actually available?

thanks

charlie

charlie-<< I found the wipperman link and also found a campy
super link >><BR><BR>

Not sure what a 'campy super link' is. We use/sell the Wipperman.works great.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 30 Jun 2004 12:41:23 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Not sure what a 'campy super link' is. We use/sell the Wipperman.works great.

page 524 of the QBP catalog...

hopefully i can get the wipperman.

thanks

charlie

charlie-<< Not sure what a 'campy super link' is. We use/sell the
Wipperman.works great.
page 524 of the QBP catalog.. >><BR><BR>

'Craig' superlink??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Peter
the catalog just says "superlink for campy" ... doesn't actually say
it is a campy product ... so it probably is a Craig for all I know.

charlie

On 01 Jul 2004 12:56:55 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>charlie-<< Not sure what a 'campy super link' is. We use/sell the
>Wipperman.works great.
>page 524 of the QBP catalog.. >><BR><BR>
>
>'Craig' superlink??
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Peter
I ended up witha Forster super link-III, CH4064 model-3 grn...
specifically for the campy 10 sp 6.1mm.

it installed without problems and seems to be OK.
I did find one link on the existing chain marked "EXT" and it had a
different pins in it. I assume that is the link that comes with a new
chain.

I removed that link and two others...

thanks for the guidance.

next I have to find a replacement stem.. the current one is 120mm and
it is just too long for me