Shortening KMC x10l chain

haggismn

Dec 17, 2005
Very quick question about a KMC chain. 116 links seems to be too long, causing frequent skipping when in the 39 chainring. I don't want to waste money on the chain, so I was wondering; can I use a chain tool to take out 3 or 4 links? It would make sense to be able to, but I would rather have some sort of confirmation on whether it works or not!

Cheers,
Haggis

Yes! You might want to be sure that the skipping is not caused by a worn chain or worn cassette before you remove links from the chain. If you have an older chain and/or cassette, and this just started happening, then your components are probably worn. If you put on a new chain or if this is a new bike and it has been skipping all along, then the chain might be too long. All four of my road bikes use 110 links so 116 might be a tad long, however it might be right for a MTB or touring bike with a long cage RD. For future reference, when replacing a chain, always count the number of links on the old chain and shorten the new chain to that number of links.