Shortest time between purchase and damage

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by dgregory57, Jul 30, 2005.

1. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

As I was reading an article about a military person purchasing of a bicycle, it brought to mind my first "adult" bike when I was in the Marines... This in turn brought up the subjet of this thread.

What is the shortest period of time between any of your bicycle purchases and the first damage to the bike?

In my case, I bought my Schwinn Le Tour IV in the late 70's in Oceanside California. I took a bus to the shop, bought the bike and rode it back to the barracks, about 10 miles.

The ride went great, and I was just getting back to the barracks, feeling very comfortable on the bike and decided to sprint into the parking lot. I was going pretty quickly, and banked my bike hard to the left to get into the parking lot.

Right at the joint between the road and the parking lot the surface changed from the smooth surface to a rougher surface. My rear wheel started to slide right as I hit the rougher surface and tacoed my rear wheel. So, in about an hour and 10 miles into my ownership I got to try out the base bicycle shop.

Does anyone else care to share their quickest damage?

Tags:

2. kjbetz

kjbetz New Member

I just bought my first "adult" bike on Wed.... next day I'm all excited for my first ride. Literally only 1 block away from my house, my rear wheel goes on me. So now I'm learning how to take care of wheel...

3. rockitj

rockitj New Member

On April 11, 2005 I purchased a Specialized Roubaix Comp, 87 miles later on April 16, 2005 I got "doored" and totaled the bike, plus seperated a shoulder. I now have a replacement Roubaix and am averaging 250 mi. per week, so all is well.

4. JouteiMike

JouteiMike New Member

Only minor damages but...

After only 1 day of getting my new Trek 1500, I was riding on a somewhat busy street in the center of my town. I was just coming off a hill and started to slow down cause of a red light about 100 feet or so in front of me. So as I pass a row of cars (not able to see on my right side except for the cars) this extremely fat dude comes running out from behind a parked SUV. I had literally no time to react so I tried to avoid him as quickly as possible but I ended up giving him a good hit. I lost control, flew off my bike, skidded about 10-15 feet. His family was trying to blame the whole thing on me. So after a couple minutes of talking and stuff I picked up my bike, noticed the left brake lever turned to the left all scaped up, and a few other scrapes here and there on the bike. Like I said, not a whole lot of damage, but still a shame to happen after only having for 1 day. My arm still has a good amount of road rash, as well as my hip.

5. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

The classic - no names mentioned - is him who bought a pair of kysirium sl wheels, carried them out of the store to the car.

By some act of lunacy the next thing is he is backing over them - not even had a tyre on them!!

Cheers

6. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

I cracked a helmet in two once. My old helmet was lost/stolen, and I'd be riding without one for a few weeks. Decide to pick up a new one from the shop near work, and on my way home I come off, landing on my head and cracking the helmet in two. The bike shop looked at me kind of strangely when I went back half an hour later and bought another helmet :p.

7. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Sort of the opposite direction, but... built a new road bike out of a new/old stock frameset and new groupo, back in summer 2002. 60-80 miles a weekend when the weather permitted.

Got it's first scratch about three months ago. Glad I'm past that, finally...