Shorts...how long?

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
I bought yet another pair of Cycling Shorts yesterday because the padding just kinda went flat on my old ones...

How long do your Shorts last before they need replacing?

By the way, my last ones were Descente, I think they were around $110 ?? They lasted around 1500 ish miles I guess (I know washing them after every ride doesn't help longevity)....Gloves seem to last me about the same amount of time.....

I have a dozen bibs and shorts that I rotate, so it's hard to tell how long they last. But, I've had some for five years that still have good padding, and I wash them after every ride. I just threw out some that had life left, but they must have been twenty years old...they were kind of the "John Stockton" length.

Only a basketball fan will understood that...

ive got some good quality shorts and some cheap ones that i use on my trainer. I like Nalini shorts. Well made, comfortable and long lasting. I rotate these (like scarpelli) so with about 6 pairs i get a couple of years out of them. The padding holds up well. I will wash them after every ride, just a brief hand wash/soak and the out on the washing line.

If i wake up and look in my drawers and find that they are all in the wash and its sunny outside, i may take an old unwashed pair and fire them on, i always shower after a wash so its fine...(dont tell anyone) ..

Jaguar27 said:
I bought yet another pair of Cycling Shorts yesterday because the padding just kinda went flat on my old ones...

By the way, my last ones were Descente, I think they were around $110 ?? They lasted around 1500 ish miles I guess (I know washing them after every ride doesn't help longevity)....Gloves seem to last me about the same amount of time.....

Jaguar27 said:

1500 miles is a bit on the short side. Hand-cleaning them should extend their life, and most important don't put them in the drying machine