Shorts, or Bibs?

trinogt

Feb 29, 2012
I am looking for opinions... Right now I wear a pair of cycling chorts from the '90's with a very thin chamois... I felt how nice and thick newer chamois' are, and I am ready!
My problem now is, what do I get? New cycling shorts, or new bib shorts? What do you people roll with?
I live in Florida, where it is hot... A LOT. I don't know if that matters or not.

I live in Tucson, so I'm hip to the hot thing. I wear bibs. I like that they keep the chamois right where it belongs all day long and that they don't have a waistband. The lack of a waistband increases the comfort for me. I don't find them particularly hot at all when it's hot outside. I was über happy when I moved from shorts to bibs.

As far as chamois go, thicker isn't always better. Having the right amount of padding in the right places it.

My favorite shorts, a pair of 2011 Pearl Izumi PRO bibs have less padding in the front of the chamois area than the 2010 Pearl Izumi PRO bib that I like almost as much. There's a little more padding in the back of the newer ones that I find a little better when climbing.

At the end of the day it's all about what's more comfortable for you. With regards to short, I prefer bib shorts to regular shorts with the elastic around the waist. If you're worried about having to take a no2 somewhere, then get the bibs and a jersey with a full length zipper - it takes away the fun of the old acrobatic trick of taking off a regular jersey and not dumping the contents of your pockets all over the porta potty or bathroom floor ;)

For me a really comfy pair of bib shorts is a must. Shorts and shoes - if you have an ill fitting pair of either it really doesn't matter if you're riding a ultra tricked out Cervelo R5ca or a 23lb alloy bike from WalMart - riding will not be fun.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

. If you're worried about having to take a no2 somewhere, then get the bibs and a jersey with a full length zipper

I never really thought about that... I'm glad you guys are covering all areas of concern! lol

So far, I like what I am hearing. I don't really like the waist band thing either, but I have never tried the bibs. Sounds like they make sense. Already, i have experienced full length jersey zippers and those with short zippers, and I prefer full length because I can control airflow better to cool myself (Sure gets hot when you have to stop!)

And alienator, very glad to hear you don't feel any hotter with bib shorts in AZ... I sure miss the dry air of that place! I spent a month in Bullhead City. The humidity here in the summer kills me. Don't know yet how it will be on a road bike since I just started with it...

I prefer bibs because they don't fall down. Of course, you can also use clip-on suspenders like we did when we wore wool.

They are more difficult when you have to pee, though.

I have always used shorts. Mostly due to economics. Shorts on clearance are cheaper than bibs on clearance. I have had good luck with Canari cycling shorts they last the longest out of all the brands I have used.

I will be using my first bibs very shortly courtesy of a recent windfall on these here forums. Who knows I may end up hooked on bibs.

swampy1970 said:
As far as chamois go, thicker isn't always better. Having the right amount of padding in the right places it.
My favorite shorts, a pair of 2011 Pearl Izumi PRO bibs have less padding in the front of the chamois area than the 2010 Pearl Izumi PRO bib that I like almost as much. There's a little more padding in the back of the newer ones that I find a little better when climbing.
At the end of the day it's all about what's more comfortable for you. With regards to short, I prefer bib shorts to regular shorts with the elastic around the waist. If you're worried about having to take a no2 somewhere, then get the bibs and a jersey with a full length zipper - it takes away the fun of the old acrobatic trick of taking off a regular jersey and not dumping the contents of your pockets all over the porta potty or bathroom floor ;)
For me a really comfy pair of bib shorts is a must. Shorts and shoes - if you have an ill fitting pair of either it really doesn't matter if you're riding a ultra tricked out Cervelo R5ca or a 23lb alloy bike from WalMart - riding will not be fun.
+1. Don't think though that going to the restroom with bibs on is a difficult thing. It only gets complicated if you've got stuff other than your drain in your hand or if you've got to take a dump. It's so easy in fact that on one of the regular local rides a few years ago, a pro from Jelly Belly team schooled everyone in how to drain the bladder while still in motion on the bike. It was quite the demonstration he gave, as pedaled at the back of the group, but still with the group, a stream of urine streaming up into the air, arcing beautifully across our desert landscape. As for jersey's, I have no idea why all jerseys don't have full zips. I won't buy jerseys that don't have 'em. There are a number of classic jerseys--i.e., jerseys from historic teams 20, 30, 40 or more years ago--I'd have in a heartbeat if they had full zips. Alas, manufacturers seem intent on holding to the classic meme buy only offering these jerseys with short zips that only go down to about the nipple line (for men and young girls, not old, saggy breasted womynz). Zipper technology is certainly advanced enough to allow full zips in all jerseys.

I have 2 bibs and several shorts. I can't say the bibs feel any better to me. The waistband in the shorts has never been an issue for me and my shorts never move around. The back top of the bib does make me hotter... it is really sticky heat here in DC in the summer. I can accept partial zippers on jerseys too. (I like having a zip pocket but only two of my jerseys have this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .
If you're worried about having to take a no2 somewhere, then get the bibs and a jersey with a full length zipper - it takes away the fun of the old acrobatic trick of taking off a regular jersey and not dumping the contents of your pockets all over the porta potty or bathroom floor ;)

Even this can be a tricky maneuver for #2 with the straps under the shoulder but sleeve off, bib strap off, sleeve back on, then repeat for the other side works well. For early season rides/races I wear my base layer under the bib straps as forgetting to do this negates the benefit of the full zippered jersey and then you gotta take it all off.

Mavic bibs come with a short zipper on the front side so one doesn't have to stretch the front down to free *****./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif They are some absolutely glorius kit btw.

If the shorts are quality though I can go either way. But back in the day the wooly Protogs that were de rigeur would not retain there shape for too long and were certainly prone to slippage.

I like bibs the best but will be trying shorts again. Here in Alaska heat is not a problem but I am spending part of winter in Thailand and there heat is a issue.

FWIW today I rode with ZOIC padded liners under regular cotton shorts. I have a cloth belt on too and didn't notice it. I only rode for about an hour but don't see a problem going longer in them. It felt very comfortable but it is cool out so I can't say what this would be like in the summer. But it is nice to look "normal" sometimes and have pockets too. Now I can head to the store without changing.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

I have 2 bibs and several shorts. I can't say the bibs feel any better to me. The waistband in the shorts has never been an issue for me and my shorts never move around. The back top of the bib does make me hotter... it is really sticky heat here in DC in the summer. I can accept partial zippers on jerseys too. (I like having a zip pocket but only two of my jerseys have this.)

Zip pockets! I have seen a jersey online with a zip pocket... Would love it if my jerseys had that. Great to store my cell phone and ID with more confidence...

Well this is off subject but since you asked about pocket zippers...

I have a Castrelli Prologo HD jersey and there is one zipper pocket accessible from the right side. This is like a double pocket on that side. The front is not full zip so some here won't like that. I don't know if they have other jersey's with this feature, but it sold me on it

I also have a Bellwether jersey that has a horizontal zipper pocket that doubles up the middle pocket. Great for id, money, etc.

I have three jerseys and two jackets with rear zipper pockets. To me they are a PITA reaching for stuff while riding. I have never lost anything from my standard three pocket jerseys while out riding. I leave the zippers open on the zip pockets.

I like the looks of side zipper pocket that Alan just posted. It appears to be easier to use while riding.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I have three jerseys and two jackets with rear zipper pockets. To me they are a PITA reaching for stuff while riding. I have never lost anything from my standard three pocket jerseys while out riding. I leave the zippers open on the zip pockets.
You still have the three pockets. The zip ones are not for things you'd want to access while riding although one can easily reach into the side zipper pocket while riding. Securing that stuff is the point for me though. I'm not going to use money, my id, or my cellphone while actually riding.

I wear shorts. Haven't tried bibs but frankly, I wonder about shoulder rub. Would annoy the **** out of me. And just that much extra material covering your body. Unless you are really, how shall I say, not a good wearer of shorts (ass crack hanging out) then I would say Go bibs! But I'm 200 lbs and I don't have coin slot problems and my jerseys are long enough to cover.