shorts or bibshorts?

tie

Aug 16, 2007
I'm just wondering what's better, shorts, or bibshorts. I'm doing road cycling, 30-40k at a time. right now i'm justing using nomral shorts, but my crotch is tellimg me to upgrade.

thanks

BikingBrian said:
Bibs! :) Once you wear 'em, you'll never go slack....er, I mean, back :D

I use the bibs for longer rides... They are much more comfortable. Around town I usually use baggies, but I am also riding a fixie, so spandex looks a bit odd. ;)

tie said:
ok, but why are bibs better?
For one, the straps will keep the bibs in place so they won't slide down and cause the "vertical smile" to show.... :eek: but this can be an issue when "nature calls".

As far as comfort on the saddle, that depends on the padding and the saddle, some are better than others. I'd suggest going with the bibs for long distance rides, but give some different types a try and use whatever you feel most comfortable in.

tie said:
I'm just wondering what's better, shorts, or bibshorts. I'm doing road cycling, 30-40k at a time. right now i'm justing using nomral shorts, but my crotch is tellimg me to upgrade.

thanks
It is a very personal question and thus the answer is personal. I have both. My favorite shorts are the Pearl 3d microsensors. I have a bib short from Assos. The bibs are nice but very warm. I sometimes use them on long rides. I do not find that great a difference between wearing the bib vs shorts for long term comfort. I really like the bib when it is cooler out.

- have bibshorts and normal shorts.

- personal question about comfort.

- bibshorts are not inherently more comfortable than normal shorts.

- use whatever is more comfortable for you.

pistole said:
- have bibshorts and normal shorts.

- personal question about comfort.

- bibshorts are not inherently more comfortable than normal shorts.

- use whatever is more comfortable for you.

+1. I just bought an inexpensive pair of bibs to see what the fuss is all about, and have concluded that it isn't about much. Most of the comfort, or lack of it, comes from the nature of the chamois, the cut of the bib/short, and the stretchability of the fabric. I acually manage to pee pretty easily while wearing the bibs (which at my age matters a lot), but none of the disadvantages of shorts, as opposed to bibs, are apparent to me after wearing bibs for a few rides. We'll see. And the "good" ones are hideously expensive!

I like bibs cuz they leave an itneresting tan on my back :D (shorts didn seem as comfy for my wide load as bibs did)

biggest difference is that if you have a belly at all, bibs don't cut into it the way shorts do.

bernmart said:
+1. I just bought an inexpensive pair of bibs to see what the fuss is all about, and have concluded that it isn't about much. Most of the comfort, or lack of it, comes from the nature of the chamois, the cut of the bib/short, and the stretchability of the fabric. I acually manage to pee pretty easily while wearing the bibs (which at my age matters a lot), but none of the disadvantages of shorts, as opposed to bibs, are apparent to me after wearing bibs for a few rides. We'll see. And the "good" ones are hideously expensive!

Use one of each for about 2000 miles and see which one is still comfortable... When the fabric of your shorts stretches out, they won't be as nice as the bibs which will be held in place by the straps.

I like the KISS bibs from Castelli (but I don't like their shorts). They aren't much more than a decent pair of shorts (I think I paid $70 for them). My favorite shorts are the Olympic shorts from Etxe Ondo.