Shorts versus Bibs

moymike

Jul 27, 2005
I'm looking at the Pearl Izumi's Microsensor 3D's. This will be my first nice pair of shorts since starting the roadbike thing this summer.

It looks to me like the only reason to go with the bibs is so you do not have a waistband. Bib's on the otherhand look like they may hold in a bit more heat when worn with a bike shirt. Also, bibs look like they add another element to fit.

Is there another reason why bibs are prefered over shorts? I see by the posts a lot of riders prefer them. Also, they cost a bit more. (within the same line)

moymike said:
I'm looking at the Pearl Izumi's Microsensor 3D's. This will be my first nice pair of shorts since starting the roadbike thing this summer.

It looks to me like the only reason to go with the bibs is so you do not have a waistband. Bib's on the otherhand look like they may hold in a bit more heat when worn with a bike shirt. Also, bibs look like they add another element to fit.

Is there another reason why bibs are prefered over shorts? I see by the posts a lot of riders prefer them. Also, they cost a bit more. (within the same line)
They are actually do not hold more heat. Since there is no waist band there is a gap in the hallow of your back that alows air to flow.

Moymike

I rode the shorts you mentioned for 40+ years, bought three Castelli Kiss bibs this year, love em.

The seem to create a new level of comfort, around the waist, and groin area. No issues with heat. Your right they are more expensive but love the fit. :)

I am a bib person. I have a pair of shorts (started off with them) and can't stand them (after trying bibs). Obviously bib shorts are a lot more expensive, but, I think they are very much worth it.

During long rides, you wanna feel as if nothing in constraining your waist.

After 30 years of regular shorts, never really noticed a problem with the waistband. But, seems everyone who tries bibs raves about the comfort. I'm convinced to to give them a try now....all y'all can't be wrong.

Seach this forum. Schloads of bib vs. shorts threads. Don't wanna reinvent the wheel. FWIW; bibs all the way.

moymike said:

Used to run in lycra/spandex shorts (no chamois) and tried them for short cycling rides. Bibs all the way for comfort around the waist, especially on longer rides. Based on my initially research prior to purchase, the cost differential was not that great.