Shorts with removable chamois

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
Hi, just wondered if there's such an item as this?

What I mean exactly is a pair of shorts where the chamois part is removable and the shorts can be worn in the meantime (not the shorts which come with an inner (with chamois) and an outer).

In article <[email protected]>,
dannyfrankszzz
[email protected] says...

> Hi, just wondered if there's such an item as this?
>
> What I mean exactly is a pair of shorts where the chamois part is
> removable and the shorts can be worn in the meantime (not the shorts
> which come with an inner (with chamois) and an outer).

How would you do that? Anything you used to fasten the liner to the
shorts would be uncomfortable. What would be the point anyway?

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> What I mean exactly is a pair of shorts where the chamois part is
> removable

I've got a pair of Gore Bike Wear trousers with removable legs to make
them into shorts. The 'chamois' is attached with four strips of velcro
and the shorts/trousers are comfortable with or without the chamois. I
bought them at the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative last year.
Unfortunately they're not selling them any more and I can't find them
available online.

Bob

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> dannyfrankszzz
> [email protected] says...
>> Hi, just wondered if there's such an item as this?
>>
>> What I mean exactly is a pair of shorts where the chamois part is
>> removable and the shorts can be worn in the meantime (not the shorts
>> which come with an inner (with chamois) and an outer).
>>

> How would you do that? Anything you used to fasten the liner to the
> shorts would be uncomfortable. What would be the point anyway?

The point is that once you've finished cycling, you can remove the bulky
padding in seconds without having to change clothes. I have an old pair
of Trek baggies that work like this. The pad is Velcro'd in place and I
can reach into my shorts and rip the pad out easily. (Though delving
into your shorts in public gets you some funny looks. Especially when
it's accompanied by the tearing noise...)

It works well, except that the shorts aren't very well designed in
themselves - and I think they're no longer available, so that doesn't
help the OP much.

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Key
[email protected]zz says...

> The point is that once you've finished cycling, you can remove the bulky
> padding in seconds without having to change clothes. I have an old pair
> of Trek baggies that work like this. The pad is Velcro'd in place and I
> can reach into my shorts and rip the pad out easily. (Though delving
> into your shorts in public gets you some funny looks. Especially when
> it's accompanied by the tearing noise...)
>
> It works well, except that the shorts aren't very well designed in
> themselves - and I think they're no longer available, so that doesn't
> help the OP much.

I guess I misinterpreted the OP's question - when he said "not shorts
with a separate inner" I assumed he meant not baggies. Of course, back
in my day we just wore lycra and funny shoes, and didn't pay much
attention to what 'normal' people thought about it in pubs/cafes/etc.

I didn't explain very well perhaps.

Yes, Andy Key, your interpretation was correct.

The suggestions so far come up with sound good but they're not available to purchase are they?

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:33:39 +0000, Andy Key
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The point is that once you've finished cycling, you can remove the bulky
>padding in seconds without having to change clothes. I have an old pair
>of Trek baggies that work like this. The pad is Velcro'd in place and I
>can reach into my shorts and rip the pad out easily. (Though delving
>into your shorts in public gets you some funny looks. Especially when
>it's accompanied by the tearing noise...)

I hope the hook part of the velcro is attached to the pad & not the
shorts!

dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> Hi, just wondered if there's such an item as this?
>
> What I mean exactly is a pair of shorts where the chamois part is
> removable and the shorts can be worn in the meantime (not the shorts
> which come with an inner (with chamois) and an outer).

Last year Decathlon were selling these in their budget branded range - I
wish I'd bought another pair.
The inner (it's rather like a mesh pair of shorts with the synthetic
chamois sewn in) is attached by small buttons and loops.
These are 'baggies' and as far as I recall were only available in black.

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike the unimaginative <[email protected]> wrote:

> Last year Decathlon were selling these in their budget branded range - I
> wish I'd bought another pair.
> The inner (it's rather like a mesh pair of shorts with the synthetic
> chamois sewn in) is attached by small buttons and loops.
> These are 'baggies' and as far as I recall were only available in black.

I was in my local Decathlon yesterday. These shorts are still readily
available for about a tenner. They also had a few pairs in beige in the
end of line section (I assume that they are a bit cheaper).