Should a cyclist run ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by edd, Dec 30, 2007.

1. RHR38

RHR38 New Member

I know at least one PT level cyclist who does decent running in training season and still able to ride his bike (worlds silver aso).

Also I know WC upper level marathon cyclist who has done also international multisport races (lotsa running). When he does grouprides with roadies, it takes a pretty tough guy to get rid of him with road bike.

You are good in what you do most, but absolutely running is good for cyclist. It can be mentally very refreshing and mental side is sometimes more important than physical. Of course it can ruin much if timing is bad or one overdo it.

2. edd

edd New Member

I'm coming around to thinking that too.

The problem I have is I've lost the ability to run fast or any significant distance. The other problem I have is when can I do this as I do not want to give up time on the bike. Not sure who suggested it but running straight after a ride seemed liked a good idea as this would not impact recovery days. Tried this last Wednesday, legs so fatigue from intervals on the bike only manage one lap of the oval, is okay though, next week it will be two and so on, not planning on being a competitive runner any time soon.

3. rparedes

rparedes New Member

I've always been concerned about over-use injuries, especially as I get older (I'm 55). I started biking as a way to give my body a break from running (my knees and back just can't it) so now I run 2 days/week (about 45 to 1 hr); cycling: 3 days/week (75 to 90 miles total); strength training (upper body): 1 day/week; rest: 1 day. The days I run i also do a longer session session of yoga (about 45 min to 1 hr) the days I bike a do 20 to 30 min of yoga after a ride. My knees don't hurt now and my back doesn't hurt either (at least not like it used to) biking and yoga have helped my flexibility which in turn helps my running. The upper body strength workouts have helped my biking (my arms/shoulders don't as tired on longer rides, my core has gotten stronger) So unless you're training for a race, my suggestion is to keep things in balance, mix it up and enjoy!.

4. beerco

beerco New Member

O.k. you've convinced me. I guess we can throw away all of the studies which show there's no crossover training except for untrained individuals.

Thanks for enlightening us with your anecdote. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, feeling exceptionally ornery today)

5. edd

edd New Member

No one suggesting there are, it's more about will it hurt the cycling fitness and the special needs of old buggers with bikes

6. RHR38

RHR38 New Member

:D

Well, I just keep these things in overall level trying to avoid these 'good because blaa blaa and jada jada but this article says it's not possible so he/she must be on 'really good chemical program'. Many athletes are good overall because they are talents. I know one runner (1500m/3.38, 3000m/7.47, 5000m/13.28) who was forced to take couple years off because of injuries and entered cycling for recuperation. He entered roadracing (recuperation..) too and was very promising/aggressive, but returned to running.

Of course Haile ain't gonna be like Lance and vice versa, but it doesn't mean it's not possible to do it at all. Things are not that black and white. It's possible and refreshing in the end/beginning of season for roadie. It's good option for MTB'er during all season (original question was 'cyclist').

7. BullGod

BullGod New Member

I would advise avoid running.

Just before xmas I played American football here in Amsterdam with some friends....did a lot of running, sprinting, falling over etc.

Could barely move for days afterwards....yet alone do any endurance training.

really sore.

8. RHR38

RHR38 New Member

And you know now what is 'overdo', right?

But it was refreshing in that moment, wasn't it? :)

9. edd

edd New Member

I'm getting the overall consensus is that competitive cyclists should not run as this is going to introduce additional fatigue into non cycling specific muscles as well as general fatigue that will ultimately impact the volume/intensity/frequency of his or her cycling training.

That said:

An aging or senior athlete is another story. The "use it or loose it" of muscle condition becomes more advanced in terms of muscle atrophy and strength (endurance) imbalances the longer we leave the muscle unused. This can effect the whole body performance. Also the complexities of the human bodies energy systems exceeds what is truly understood. No body does studies on old buggers anyway.

I started running on Monday evenings the day after the longish Sunday morning ride. Started doing just 10 min, going to build to 30 min. After ten minutes I had enough, didn't want to keep it up. Heart rate was only 140 BPM and I was really sucking wind. Hill climb on a bike I'd be hurting at 162 BPM but breathing quite comfortably .… mmm ?

10. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Don't do endurance runs. Play rugby like you did. It only gave you rubber legs because you aren't use to doing it. Playing a sport like that is an excellent way to keep yourself well rounded, and maintain bone density. Don't be the one-sided endurance roadie who can't pick up more than his own body weight.

I'd also suggest some weight training, once a week or so. Keep the volume low < 30 reps each exercise, and stick to the big 3 compound movements. All those machines are mostly a waste in comparison. Bench, deadlift, squat, play rugby, and bike.

And no, running will not help your cycling, unless you can't bike (bad roads), then certainly it'd be a good idea to do some aerobic exercise to maintain your cardio.

11. edd

edd New Member

Upper body strength is just fine, have a well round ever changing weights routine, can bench 54 kg x 20 reps, work in the fitness industry.
    I do free squats (no added weight) on an inverted BOSU
    Had lower back issues, re no endurance in glute meads.
    Not going to play foot ball, sooner go dancing with the ladies.
    Building to a 30 min run once a week, because I've lost the ability to run !

12. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

edd, know where you are coming from. I'm an ex competitive runner who runs occassionaly. After a long period without running due to injury, it took about 3 weeks of hard slog before the running came back to being easy to do, ie not having any specific problems that held it all back.

13. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

14. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

15. BlueIcarus

BlueIcarus New Member

Hi, Tyson xDDDDDDDDDDD

16. edd

edd New Member

DON'T BUY ANY CRAP FROM THIS nikejordanun CHEAPSKATE if he wants an ad then he should pay for it like all the other links of this site !