Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Trevor, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor

Trevor Guest

Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?

Thanks!

Trevor

Tags:

2. Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert Guest

3. On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
    >the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

What happens if you have one worn link in a new drivetrain, anyway? I'd imagine the cogs and
    sprockets wear slightly faster to conform to that single chain, and the chain wears faster to
    conform to the sprockets, but how fast is that, if it's only one link in a 100 or so?

Jasper

4. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:

>> That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
    >> the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

> What happens if you have one worn link in a new drivetrain, anyway? I'd imagine the cogs and
    > sprockets wear slightly faster to conform to that single chain, and the chain wears faster to
    > conform to the sprockets, but how fast is that, if it's only one link in a 100 or so?

Since it's out of pitch, you could get a skipping chain.

Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >
    >Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?

I reuse.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

6. John Everett

John Everett Guest

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Trevor who? writes:
    >
    >> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?
    >
    >That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
    >the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped on
    the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not because
    the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

John "Risking the Rath of Jobst" Everett

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

7. John Everett

John Everett Guest

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:16:33 GMT (just moments ago), I wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>Trevor who? writes:
    >>
    >>> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?
    >>
    >>That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
    >>the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.
    >
    >With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped
    >on the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not
    >because the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

E M E R G E N C Y R E T R A C T I O N ! ! !

Of course the inner sideplates wear on the pins, and it is this wear that causes the chain to
    "stretch". Silly me. ;-)

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

8. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

John Everett writes:

>>> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?

>> That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
    >> the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

> With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped
    > on the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not
    > because the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

The rollers can be as sloppy as they want, assuming they are all wearing similarly. This does not
    change the pitch of the chain. The only thing that alters the pitch of the chain is pin and sleeve
    wear. The reason for replacing a chain is pitch elongation which is the measure of chain wear.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.