Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor

Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?

Thanks!

Trevor

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
>the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

What happens if you have one worn link in a new drivetrain, anyway? I'd imagine the cogs and
sprockets wear slightly faster to conform to that single chain, and the chain wears faster to
conform to the sprockets, but how fast is that, if it's only one link in a 100 or so?

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:

>> That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
>> the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

> What happens if you have one worn link in a new drivetrain, anyway? I'd imagine the cogs and
> sprockets wear slightly faster to conform to that single chain, and the chain wears faster to
> conform to the sprockets, but how fast is that, if it's only one link in a 100 or so?

Since it's out of pitch, you could get a skipping chain.

Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Trevor who? writes:
>
>> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?
>
>That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
>the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped on
the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not because
the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

John "Risking the Rath of Jobst" Everett

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:16:33 GMT (just moments ago), I wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:17:13 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Trevor who? writes:
>>
>>> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?
>>
>>That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
>>the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.
>
>With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped
>on the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not
>because the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

E M E R G E N C Y R E T R A C T I O N ! ! !

Of course the inner sideplates wear on the pins, and it is this wear that causes the chain to
"stretch". Silly me. ;-)

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

John Everett writes:

>>> Should a SuperLink be replaced when installing a new chain? Or can you reuse them?

>> That's two questions. The answers are yes and yes. The pins of the master link wear similarly to
>> the rest of the pins in the chain, the reason for replacing the chain.

> With a modicum of temerity I must demur. On modern chains the rollers bear on the flanges stamped
> on the sideplates, not on the pins. The attendant wear is the reason for replacing a chain, not
> because the pins are worn out. For this reason a Forster Super Link can outlast several chains.

The rollers can be as sloppy as they want, assuming they are all wearing similarly. This does not
change the pitch of the chain. The only thing that alters the pitch of the chain is pin and sleeve
wear. The reason for replacing a chain is pitch elongation which is the measure of chain wear.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

Status
Not open for further replies.