Should Contador Have Held Back for Schleck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cfblakeman said:
True - he will always be known going forward for his cowardice, not his riding ability.

No he won't. He'll be remembered for his ability to smash people on the climbs.

Maybe the more liberal folks will remember one of the greatest young Grand Tour winning rider of all time for what they perceive as a lack of social ettiquette but for the majority it's going to be stuff like the epic series of attacks during his first Tour win with Rasmuchicken in the Pyrenees, beating Cancellara in a time trial, riding up the Angrilu like it was pan flat, being told while sunning himself on the beach "get your scrawny as$ to Italy and win the Giro", which he did.... you get the idea.

By no means am I implying that the 'ethics' of today's events are clear cut. On the contary, they will be debated for some time. Regardless however, given the overt reaction of the crowd when AC took to today's podium, I suspect the judgment of public opinion may follow AC well beyond this year's TdF. If AC wins this year, it may come at a price that he didn't need to pay. Why? Because he probably would have beaten AS in the overall anyway, even if he had shown an outright display of sportsmanship by holding (as Vino was prepared to do) up when seeing AS clearly off his bike.

Thank you Tony and Swamp... I was over at the Raod ID facebook site, and the hatred over AC is just overwhelming...

Nice to know that people who actually race, know what its about.

Everyone keep in mind that there has never been un-written rules about any rider other than the one wearing yellow in these situations.
The race has changed over the years, maybe the #2 positioned rider will break toward Paris next Sunday.

tonyzackery said:
Hades hath frozen over...I'm in 100% agreement with Swampy on this issue.

...except that in early Greek mythology, Hades was a misty and gloomy place - no fire and brimstone like Hell, which makes your attempt at being clever a big fail. A damp squib - damp like Hades.

Hell hath frozen over...

Later Greek Mythology would show Hades as the God of the underworld. I doubt he ever froze and I highly doubt that Persephone uttered the phrase "Hades, your tadger is freezing" as he had his wicked way with her.

Bastiani said:
Thank you Tony and Swamp... I was over at the Raod ID facebook site, and the hatred over AC is just overwhelming...

Nice to know that people who actually race, know what its about.

Has Tony ever road raced? As far as I'm aware he's got the right hand turns down pat in crits but thus far as failed on left turns and hills.

Road ID facebook site - that sounds like hateful place filled by a bunch of Leipheimer fans. There's a couple of Leipheimer fans here at work, which isn't surprising given that I'm about 20 miles away from his home town, but they're hateful, spiteful folk.

The Road ID ad where Bobkie is going on about diving into bushes on descent and taking his bazooka with him on the bike is class for two reasons - 1. Bob is funny. 2. The look of "OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG. You can't say that, we're all stuck up and sensible folk here" on all the stuck up sh1theads sat around in the room.

swampy1970 said:
...except that in early Greek mythology, Hades was a misty and gloomy place - no fire and brimstone like Hell, which makes your attempt at being clever a big fail. A damp squib - damp like Hades.

Just as I told another one of your very like-minded cohorts on this forum, "Damn boy, sarcasm is wasted on you!"...

Good to see doing a Google search is within your realm of intellect though...

This situation sounds kinda like the 2003 TDF where Lance Armstrong fell and later slipped a pedal while Jan Ullrich watched and proceeded to race away to a stage win.

We all know how that turned out in the end.

I bet Andy attacks in anger tomorrow and wins over a lot of support within the peloton.

Actually Armstrong passed Jan on that stage and I did ask Jan if he waited on that stage. He explained it to made and it made sense.If you watch the stage you will see that Hamilton is well back yet after the incident he was able to catch Jan easily and allegedly tell him to slow down.
I don't believe he could have caught him that easily if he was all out.
I myself am satisfied tha the did wait.

Ullrich eased off just enough such that not too much controversy ensued. And since LA went on to win that stage convincingly, it was relatively moot.

Meanwhile, Schleck is not happy:

"S**t happens, what can I say. He went full gas when he saw that I had a mechanical. It's not up to me to decide but I would not have attacked the yellow jersey. I would not attack the race leader like that. If he would have dropped me it wouldn't have been a problem for me, but not this way...

Schleck's Post-Stage Comments

tonyzackery said:
Just as I told another one of your very like-minded cohorts on this forum, "Damn boy, sarcasm is wasted on you!"...

Good to see doing a Google search is within your realm of intellect though...

At least I remembered enough about Greek mythology from school to be able to know that Hades hath frozen over was a crock of sh1t... Google is indeed a good tool for refreshing those bits that were almost, and rightfully so, forgotten.

Stop trying to color your misplaced quotes as an attempt at sarcasm.

I think the big issue is there are mechanicals of mechanicals... if it is not your fault (flat tire, etc...) then yes going ahead is cheap move...

But if you most probably caused the slip of the chain... its not right to wait.

$3k sram do not just drop chains. or that business would be dead now.

Ted B said:
Ullrich eased off just enough such that not too much controversy ensued. And since LA went on to win that stage convincingly, it was relatively moot.

Meanwhile, Schleck is not happy:

"S**t happens, what can I say. He went full gas when he saw that I had a mechanical. It's not up to me to decide but I would not have attacked the yellow jersey. I would not attack the race leader like that. If he would have dropped me it wouldn't have been a problem for me, but not this way...

Schleck's Post-Stage Comments

I'd be pis$ed too - but I think I'd be more ticked off at my mechanic than anyone else...

Hopefully there'll be some fireworks in tommorrows stage rather than the expected clubrun lead by the leaders of the Tour.

I think AC was already ****** and so now is Schleck an explosive front end of the peloton might kills Armstrongs dreams of a stage win.

I guess if you're going to stuff it into the 14 sprocket on a Hors category climb you'd want more than a 0 tooth chainring.

000_DV803923.jpg

right or wrong aside, the acceleration from Schleck trying to catch back up to AC was absolutely incredible, he blew passed everyone else like they were on trackstand.

And the fact that he can do that, and AC knows it, is why AC poured it on for all he could when Schleck suffered that misshap.

Contador is now lying and saying he didn't see that Schleck had a problem. That obviously isn't true, and must mean he knows what he did was wrong. Most of the riders are agreeing, on twitter, that you don't attack in a situation like that.

Contador went all out when he saw Schlecks problem, and even then didn't manage to drop a few of his contenders. I don't think anyone could have followed Schleck today.

SRAM chains are basically upgraded Sedisport chains (as they took over the Sedis brand)

Sedisport works out to be an anagram for:

Ride Stops
Desist Pro
Dire Stop

... and just for ol ***** pants himself, Bro Deal

Dope Stirs... because no normal human being could ever climb that fast. ;)

Maybe they should just rebrand the chains - SROFF or do a take on one of their competitors - RollOff.

Status
Not open for further replies.