Should Contador Have Held Back for Schleck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K'Ching;3956761 said:
Contador is now lying and saying he didn't see that Schleck had a problem. That obviously isn't true, and must mean he knows what he did was wrong.

Or, he knows at least the sentiment of the public points in the opposite direction. I suppose he thought Schleck just stopped to take a nature break? :rolleyes: He knew the reason for those boos when he heard them.

Again, AC may win the TdF, but it will come at a price. Making a statement that does more to make him look like a liar is IMO, worse than just owning up to making a decision in the heat of the moment that proved to be unpopular.

Contador speaks:

"I attacked before he had a problem with his chain and was a long way ahead when I heard what had happened. ... But when it happened I was on the attack and the most important thing for me is that I gained time today. ..."

Contador attacked? ... before Schleck lost his chain?

When one reporter said that he must have seen that Schleck had a mechanical problem because he was behind the Luxembourger when it happened, Contador responded:
"I wasn't aware exactly what had happened. I had my focus fixed very much on what I was doing. ..."

Each can make up his own mind about what happened.

From Cycling News

Contador broke the unwritten rule that you don't attack the yellow jersey if he crashes or punctures. The Chain snag is the same moral deal.
The fact that it is an unwritten rule does not excuse it being broken.
Every year the rule is repeated in the media time and time again. I have certainly heard it mentioned in the tour coverage each year.
It's not an unwritten rule either really as it has been in print many many times in race reports.
As it happens I also think Cancelara was wrong to slow the Spa stage as that was just 'racing'.

Shleck was the biggest beneficiary of that so I guess it was Karms today even if it did leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

If the situation was reversed... I really doubt AS would have waited... the guy knows he will get raped in the ITT... and that he needs more time.

Anyone would have attacked. its racing, not Sunday 30 mile cruise. This was not an unintended mechanical failure, chains don't just drop at that level of equipment.

people need to get of the hatertrain.

Riis - Riis Preaches Calm In Aftermath Of Schleck's Disappointment | Cyclingnews.com
To the thorny question of whether Contador should have waited for Schleck as he attempted to fix his chain, Riis shrugged again. “I would have hoped he would have waited, and I think I would have waited... I think he did wait at the beginning but then it was a while before Andy was on the bike again.
“I don’t know. Was it possible for Contador to wait in that situation, with [Samuel] Sanchez [Euskaltel] and [Denis] Menchov [Rabobank] attacking? He has to follow those guys, for sure. He might not need to pull [with them] or attack, but he has to follow those guys.

What Would Hinault Do? (or say)
Contador is sure to face a bigger test from the enraged Schleck on the road to Pau tomorrow, but will perhaps take consolation from the thoughts of some respected Tour veterans. Asked for their opinion on the incident, Laurent Jalabert, Bernard Thévenet and Bernard Hinault all described Schleck's incident as an inescapable part of racing

No one wants to bury Menchov or Sanchez?? They were up there alongside Contador setting pace and neither of them stopped and waited. By waiting for Schleck, it also opens the door up for their other rivals (Leipheimer, Van de Broecke, etc.) to catch back on.

In all honesty, I think once Contador realized Schleck had a mechanical, he started riding tempo with Menchov and Sanchez. If Contador actually attacked, I'm sure he would've dropped both those riders and looked much more tired coming over the summit. If he was full on attacking, I don't think he'd look back as much as he did.

Bastiani said:
If the situation was reversed... I really doubt AS would have waited... the guy knows he will get raped in the ITT... and that he needs more time.

Anyone would have attacked. its racing, not Sunday 30 mile cruise. This was not an unintended mechanical failure, chains don't just drop at that level of equipment.

people need to get of the hatertrain.

I doubt if AS would have waited too.....

AlvChen said:
No one wants to bury Menchov or Sanchez?? They were up there alongside Contador setting pace and neither of them stopped and waited. By waiting for Schleck, it also opens the door up for their other rivals (Leipheimer, Van de Broecke, etc.) to catch back on.

In all honesty, I think once Contador realized Schleck had a mechanical, he started riding tempo with Menchov and Sanchez. If Contador actually attacked, I'm sure he would've dropped both those riders and looked much more tired coming over the summit. If he was full on attacking, I don't think he'd look back as much as he did.

That's pretty much what I thought....

AlvChen said:
No one wants to bury Menchov or Sanchez?? They were up there alongside Contador setting pace and neither of them stopped and waited.

Both were left in Contador's wake following the Schleck attack, and followed Contador to the summit. Contador was in front, setting the pace, and was going all out for the top.

Being that either is viewed (rightly or wrongly) at having an outside chance at best of being in yellow in Paris probably influences their position in the situation as well.

Watch it again here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcN2HrkrnF4"]Stage 15 Critical Moment[/ame]

no matter what, Contador will always be remembered for being a true cheater without any class.

makes Lance in 50th or whatever position look like 1st. i guess a thank you is in order for that but not until i use my 'I'm gonna punch you in the face through to the internet for being a compete and utter a$Shat' button on Conatador on here..

Ted B said:
Contador speaks:

"I attacked before he had a problem with his chain and was a long way ahead when I heard what had happened. ... But when it happened I was on the attack and the most important thing for me is that I gained time today. ..."

Contador attacked? ... before Schleck lost his chain?

When one reporter said that he must have seen that Schleck had a mechanical problem because he was behind the Luxembourger when it happened, Contador responded:
"I wasn't aware exactly what had happened. I had my focus fixed very much on what I was doing. ..."

Each can make up his own mind about what happened.

From Cycling News

in respond to the bold statement above.

i reviewed the video, from the moment Schleck dropped his chain and the very instant Contador passes Schleck on the left was only FIVE SECONDS.

it would be impossible for Contador to have started an attack after he noticed what happened to Schleck, it simply is impossible to realize and react from such an event and able to catch up with Schleck in 5 seconds.

with that, i believe what Contador said was true, the attacked started before the chain dropped.

i am only stating this fact that i observed.

Ted B said:
Ok, but would Hinault have waited for Lemond?

;)

I think we saw the answer to that one with about 3 good attacks in every mountain stage, during the 86 Tour, until his knee started acting up on the descent of the Col d'Izoard and we're not talking one of these pis$ w@nk 50 yard sprints either - more like 50 miles and a couple of cols, attack.

That Tour not only had the most attacks from a yellow jersey contender of any Tour I can recall (it probably had more attacks in it by a yellow jersey wearer than all the Tours combined since 1986) but it also had the best wrenching from the team car by a mechanic. 50mph downhill, leaning out and adjusting a seatpost. f*ck yeah.

I might be waxing the nostalgic but damn, watching the Tour these days is so boring that the TV stations have to add about 2 hours of "filler" for a 3 hour show.

Watching that video posted above, there's no way in hell that Contador would have been able to tell what was up with Schleck, as he was giving it full gas. Vino might have had a chance because he was closer and might have been able to hear things jam...

Either way, Schlecks climbing after that made Pantani look slow.

jmpsmash said:
it would be impossible for Contador to have started an attack after he noticed what happened to Schleck, it simply is impossible to realize and react from such an event and able to catch up with Schleck in 5 seconds.

Contador's initial effort was a response to Schleck's attack, which quickly became an attack of his own after he had to swerve around Schleck sitting almost still in the road. Whether AC realized Schleck had a problem or not (between the 'scene' and the summit) is what lies at the root of the brouhaha IMO.

swampy1970 said:
That Tour not only had the most attacks from a yellow jersey contender of any Tour I can recall (it probably had more attacks in it by a yellow jersey wearer than all the Tours combined since 1986)...

Agreed. Asking Hinault for his opinion on waiting for an adversary (or even a teammate) is like asking a wolf how to best guard the hen house. :p

swampy1970 said:

After witnessing that, it makes me wonder why he didn't have a go earlier in the climb. It looks to me like Schleck is capable of putting AC into real trouble.

swampy1970 said:
Stop trying to color your misplaced quotes as an attempt at sarcasm.

LOL! You're so dumb, it's beyond amusing...
Pedantry is not the correct description for you - probably pederasty is more accurate...
Anyway, thanks for the tip on the phrase "Hell hath frozen over" - I'd never heard that one before. Pretty neat and novel - you just think that one up???:D

Strange how the Contadors earpiece radio suddenly stopped working , funny that;)

You will see that Contador slows and sits down when Schleks chain spins but then suddenly gets up out of the saddle and pushes on without looking back.

Very strange as Contador has spent this whole tour turning round to look for Schlek up until now that is when he suddenly didn't look back for Schleck the whole way to the finish.

He knew EXACTLY what had happened and everyone knows it.

swampy1970 said:
Beloki - one rolled tub and one Mr Armstrong went cyclocross on us all. Number of riders that waited? Zero. One rider pulled himself and his bike over Beloki. .

What you fail to mention in this case is that Vino was up the road and a GC threat. In that case you cannot wait. If it's the lead group, or no GC threat up the road, you wait.

The best quote I have seen on it so far.. Cervélo team owner Gerard Vroomen: “Contador just gained a great chance to win, but he lost the chance to win greatly.”

swampy1970 said:
Watching that video posted above, there's no way in hell that Contador would have been able to tell what was up with Schleck, as he was giving it full gas. Vino might have had a chance because he was closer and might have been able to hear things jam...

AGREE 100% on all counts! :eek:

thebluetrain said:
AC and AS both look like amateurs.
How does Armstrong look?
Like 7 times L' Etape du Tour winner?

I hope this will make Andy more determined to attack early on climbs. Now, when he's officially behind Contador, he has to try something spectacular. He looks better than Contador this year and his efforts were measured exactly because he had advantage (although it wasn't so convincing with long time trial on menu).
It's pity that tomorrow's climbs are far from the finish. His anger could weaken till Thursday.
At the end, this mechanical could be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.