Should Contador Have Held Back for Schleck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bastiani said:
You cannot be serious? why do you guys keep bringing up the 39 seconds... AS lost 15 seconds to a chain drop and getting back up to speed.... There was then a further 25 seconds taken away on riding alone.
He did not lose 15 seconds to the chain drop. If you watch a video of it you'll see it takes about 40 seconds from he drops his chain till he's up to speed again. The fact that he's only behind by 15 seconds at the summit just means he went up the rest of the climb about 25 seconds faster than Contador. That means he actually might have gained time on Contador instead of losing 39 seconds, but it also definitely means that if Contador hadn't gone all out after he saw Schleck had mechanical problems, Schleck would have caught back up to them on the climb and not lost a single second. So talking about the 39 seconds is absolutely justified.

swampy1970 said:
-
It's not some freaking liberal "200 steps on the podium and give little Johnny who finishes next to last a medal" race.

i think you just defined yourself with that comment.

to their everlasting credit, those fans that year after year actually go to climbs like that one to see the select few compete fairly, which gives them a real credibility, disagree with you. they expressed their opinion at the podium ceremony. alberto heard them loud and clear. hence the non apology apology. he could care less what we in the forums think or what the press thinks, but he knows the people that show up at stages like that are the ones that can't be bamboozled with a winning smile. that was the reason he knew he had to address it.
great racer, maybe the best we'll ever see, but he's a weasel

swampy1970 said:
Some key moments through the ages...
There's an interview with Merckx back in the early 70's where he says something along the lines of "I give no gifts, and I expect none in return".

I agree i think Contador's reaction was desperate and he should have just stuck with the pace of the group he was with that would have been acceptable

PittJD said:
I agree i think Contador's reaction was desperate and he should have just stuck with the pace of the group he was with that would have been acceptable

LOL! AS's reaction to this mess has truly smacked of desperation. He knows he was NEVER going to gap AC, so he felt the need to make this mountain out of a molehill. Whining like a *****...This whole matter will be moot soon enough and then it'll be interesting to read and hear what the AC detractors have to say then - I predict a whole lot more whining...

tonyzackery said:
LOL! AS's reaction to this mess has truly smacked of desperation. He knows he was NEVER going to gap AC, so he felt the need to make this mountain out of a molehill. Whining like a *****...This whole matter will be moot soon enough and then it'll be interesting to read and hear what the AC detractors have to say then - I predict a whole lot more whining...

no, he actually did no whining at all. get your facts right. look at the interview. he said it would be for others to judge. he simply said he wouldn't have done it.

tonyzackery said:

doOd, your posts are like that, not Schleck's riding.

jackhammer111 said:
no, he actually did no whining at all. get your facts right. look at the interview. he said it would be for others to judge. he simply said he wouldn't have done it.

LOL! So you witnessed ONE interview and believe that's all AS said about this incident??!! I've read at least 5 different interviews with comments from AS...appears you need to get some more facts...

jackhammer 111, please don't respond to tony, i'm not sure how much more i can take of a 43 year old guy posting like a 12 year girl any longer.

tonyzackery said:
LOL! So you witnessed ONE interview and believe that's all AS said about this incident??!! I've read at least 5 different interviews with comments from AS...appears you need to get some more facts...

He only pays atention to LA's interviews ;)

Those who think this was okay are all ignoring ACs own admission it was wrong. First he said he didn't know it had happened (implying he would have waited), then when that was proven an obvious lie, he apologized in YouTube, again on Spanish TV, and again to Schleck himself.

You can list every argument in the world you have that YOU think it's okay, but you'll have to address those arguments to Contador who thinks it was wrong and apologized multiple times for it.

The problem is that, even though he confessed it was wrong, he's going to keep the jersey and the 39 seconds, sort of like "I'm sorry I broke in to your house and stole your TV, would you like to come over and watch it?"

"Hey, mom, I beat some guy's chain to the finish line!" Nice.

roadhouse said:
jackhammer 111, please don't respond to tony, i'm not sure how much more i can take of a 43 year old guy posting like a 12 year girl any longer.

Like you've been told so eloquently before, "Don't let the door smack you in the a$$ on the way out"...;)

tonyzackery said:
Well we'll never know for sure, but it did seem to me that he already had made the gap, and it's a fact that he went up the rest of the mountain a lot faster than Contador, who was also going all out. Also it wouldn't have been the first time in this tour, so saying he was "NEVER" going to make the gap is just dumb. No one knows if he could that day, but it honestly did look like he could have.

As I saw it, Contador was about to be dropped by Andy and when he saw that he had a problem, he knew that was his chance to take time on the guy who was stronger than him that day. But like I said we'll never know.

roadhouse said:

Roadhouse, it's nearly impossible not to, because he consistently makes himself such an easy target. It's kinda like when the dorky kid in grade-school had the "KICK ME" sign taped to his back...

He's like a circus monkey; he's entertaining for about 5 minutes, then it's time for a new show...

K'Ching;3957440 said:
He did not lose 15 seconds to the chain drop. If you watch a video of it you'll see it takes about 40 seconds from he drops his chain till he's up to speed again. The fact that he's only behind by 15 seconds at the summit just means he went up the rest of the climb about 25 seconds faster than Contador. That means he actually might have gained time on Contador instead of losing 39 seconds, but it also definitely means that if Contador hadn't gone all out after he saw Schleck had mechanical problems, Schleck would have caught back up to them on the climb and not lost a single second. So talking about the 39 seconds is absolutely justified.

sir the guy lost 24-25 seconds on the descent... and yes go back and watch the video, it takes him 223-224 frames to get the chain back on... that's roughly 9.3 seconds. a further 144-145 frames to get back on and up to speed..... total of 15-16 seconds.
Unless the camera decided to cut for half an hour and then slice back in.

Bastiani said:
sir the guy lost 24-25 seconds on the descent... and yes go back and watch the video, it takes him 223-224 frames to get the chain back on... that's roughly 9.3 seconds. a further 144-145 frames to get back on and up to speed..... total of 15-16 seconds.
Unless the camera decided to cut for half an hour and then slice back in.
It doesn't matter what he lost on the descent. Had Contador not attacked, Schleck would have caught up to the group and lost 0 seconds.

I don't know where you got all that wrong information from you're giving, but take a look at this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7wpDjGHXU]YouTube - Andy Schleck's Chain Pops during the 2010 Tour De France on Versus[/ame]

Can we agree the chain pops just before 10 seconds into the video?

And can we agree that the next time we see him pedaling is just around the 40 second mark?

Now add 10 seconds to that from losing the momentum and getting back up to speed. That's 40 seconds, and even if you believe that's pushing it, there's absolutely no way to argue that he lost less than 30 seconds. The video even shows him standing completely still for almost 20 seconds.

I don't know if you just made those numbers up, but it certainly looks like it, when you look at what actually happened.

Interesting that Contador held up the peloton today when he heard of Sammy Sanchez's fall.

Do you think this is:

A.) a PR move for AC given this recent scrutiny
B.) AC looking out for a fellow countryman
C.) Different because it was an actual crash, not a mechanical
D.) All of the Above
E.) None of the Above

:D

GT Fanatic said:
Roadhouse, it's nearly impossible not to, because he consistently makes himself such an easy target. It's kinda like when the dorky kid in grade-school had the "KICK ME" sign taped to his back...

He's like a circus monkey; he's entertaining for about 5 minutes, then it's time for a new show...

LOL! Fat boy, you need to ride your bike more and cut the net surfing to a bare minimum...when you lose that spare child from around your gut (and head) then you might gain a shred of credibility...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.