Should cyclists go through red lights?

99% of the time I stop for traffic lights..
except the ones outside my house that dont register me
in the dark.. (works fine during the day).

Also when stopped at lights i tend to stay more to the centre of the lane to stop cars trying to wedge you into the kerb, or try to turn left infront of you.:mad:

Should cyclists got through red lights? No. Although we definitely shouldn't, we do. I always set off with the intention of sticking to rules of the road but its different when you're making your way home or to work and you come across different situations. If a pedestrian crossing turns red and no-one is crossing I'm ashamed to say that I'll go through that light. If its a busy crossroads, I wont but some do.

I'd say that the majority of cyclists jump lights, and that the majority of motorists commit minor offences everytime they get in their cars.

You should know that New York city is considering have all cyclists register their bikes and have lic. numbers. they think this will cut down on running red lights and reckless riding. In NY riding a bike is the same a driving a car and in Westchester the police have been giving out tickets.
davidbaker999 said:
Hi all

I am writing an article for the Financial Times on the relationship between cyclists, motorists and pedestrians in towns and cities.

Here in London many cyclists commit what they call "minor" infingements of law because it is safer for them (such as crossing junctions when all the traffic is stopped to let pedestrians cross, cycling on the pavement to avoid traffic etc).

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on this. And in particular if there are UK towns that have managed to get the mix of cyclists and motorists right.

Thanks in anticipation and best wishes.

David Baker (cyclist and motorist)
Financial Times

Listopad is Polish for November are you Polaih I lived in warsaw fr 10 years?
listopad said:
Should cyclists got through red lights? No. Although we definitely shouldn't, we do. I always set off with the intention of sticking to rules of the road but its different when you're making your way home or to work and you come across different situations. If a pedestrian crossing turns red and no-one is crossing I'm ashamed to say that I'll go through that light. If its a busy crossroads, I wont but some do.

I'd say that the majority of cyclists jump lights, and that the majority of motorists commit minor offences everytime they get in their cars.

Sorry, not Polish. At work I have a calender sent to me by a Polish firm we work with. When I was signing on to the forum every handle i put in was already taken so i had a look around and spotted the calender. It saved me having to use my brain to make up some interesting/original username! :)

Normanusa said:
Listopad is Polish for November are you Polaih I lived in warsaw fr 10 years?

Many thanks for all the interesting replies to my post here, which started because I was writing a piece for the Financial Times on the relationship between cyclists and motorists on the UK's roads. The article came out on Nov 21 and I have posted a copy on this forum in case anyone wants to see it. Best. David

I cycle through manchester quite often, I stop at all red lights and wait for them to change. What annoys me is the amount of students that ride round going through red lights, weaving in and out of traffic without a care in the world. Although I do lay the blame for most cycling accidents to cars, buses and TAXI's, there are a lot of irresponsible bikers out there especially around this time of year with no lights, helmets I have even seen bikes without brakes.

Where's the link to the story as I wouldn't mind reading it.
I find myself at a conflict with some of the people here, as many drivers treat cyclists with such ill regard it's any wonder that we violate the law every once in a while. I remember a letter in a newspaper a few month back where a woman was complaing that a cyclist had hit her whilst driving on the kerb and left her paralised.

Well I'm not sure how much of that I believe, since I experience people on foot stepping out directly infront of me all the time, expecting me to stop on a dime just because I'm a cyclist. I hate this more than being cut up in cars or using roads which aren't designed for the safety of a cyclist at all. So anyway, the point is until pedestrians and drivers are prepared to start behaving themselves, I see no reason why cyclists should have to kurb their behaviour to counter it

I personally find it hard to believe that people are even arguing about this!

I use the roads every day as both motorist and cyclist, and I would not jump a red light in either capacity - in fact if anything I would be less inclined to do so on my bike than in my car!

I think that the problem is lack of regulation of cycling on UK roads today. That may sound a strange thing for a keen cyclist to say, but I think it is high time that the police started bringing cyclists to book for 'minor' offences such as jumping red lights, and cycling across zebra crossings whilst they are in use.

I have seen retribution taken on offending cyclists by both motorists and pedestrians, who are obviously frustrated by the irresponsible and sometimes dangerous acts committed by these cyclists.

This is an unacceptable situation, but greater regulation of cyclists using the roads would have the dual benefit of making cycling safer, and of improving the reputation of cyclists amongst other road users.

Cycling is undoubtedly the way forward in out congested towns and cities, but more needs to be done to make it a viable form of transport.

No, We are road users and should abide by the rules of the road like all other users.

Yes we should go through a red light providing it is safe to do so i.e. cross roads i usually avoid it but on pedestrian crossings always, i cant be arsed to wait around for them to change and another thing we should all strive to get speed cameras to flash i know i try to everytime im near a 30 mph speed camera only done it once though

li0scc0 said:
I wait for the light when I am in town, but some areas more outside of town I run the red light. Not sure about overseas, but in the states the light is triggered by somebody going over an underground sensor. A bike with a rider is not enough weight to trigger the sensor, and thus you would have to wait for another car to come along and trigger. At 5:30 in the morning, sometimes you might be waiting for 5 minutes or longer. Thus, I run the light, but I do stop first (too dangerous not to).

I am afraid this is most unlikely and thus not a valid reason to run a redlight. Most sensors for changing lights work by induction, not weight (I won't declare it to be gospel, but I don't think any work off of weight, at least not now), and a bicycle properly positioned can change the light without a problem. The only time you would not be able to change a induction type light with a bicycle would be with a fully carbon fiber frame with carbon fiber rims, aluminum rims on a carbon fiber frame will trigger the light.
Run the light if you want to, but no excuses!

More about induction http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm

at 4.00am when i'm cycling to work with little or no traffic about - yes i run red lights.

any other time - no, but i have cycled on the footpath to avoid them does this count?

Future-pro said:
Yes we should go through a red light providing it is safe to do so i.e. cross roads i usually avoid it but on pedestrian crossings always, i cant be arsed to wait around for them to change and another thing we should all strive to get speed cameras to flash i know i try to everytime im near a 30 mph speed camera only done it once though
hehehh lmfao i like it...

i agree that as the lights are on green for pedestrians what is wrong with a cyclist carefully weaving his way thru in the safety of the red...

how many times have you been cut up by some moron who thinks that just cause you are on the left of the road at the lights you want to turn left and just turns while you ride forcing you round the corner...

there are some new crossing features now in london with the ever so few bike lanes... the front of the lights has a box with a bike picture in white lines for cyclists to stand in front of the traffic, this is good in one way but the boy racers seem to think we should go from 0 to 60 in seconds like them and go round you with so little room to spare...

so yes use your judgement and it is safe as houses///

for example if you have lights that are a T junction and you are on the straight you can easily slip by on the left no trouble not in anyones way...

if y ou are going to turn left slip round ... it will kill nobody....

if you are going to go right then maybe you can use the opportunity to get into the middle if you know the particular phases of the lights some have right turns only and this can be used to get to the island gaining time on the morons behind...

cool huh as for the speed cameras i saw that on our main road last week was well funny three pro looking riders kept riding up and down the road setting the damn thing off in busy traffic i bet some drivers got some tickets for that one lol

also look at the increasing number of cycle avoiding lane thingys on pavements so you can go past on pavement avoiding the red light on straight roads... the argument is why are they there if you cannot ride on the pavement or run a red light... seems contradictory as long as you do it the way they say its ok lol

davidbaker999 said:
Hi all

I am writing an article for the Financial Times on the relationship between cyclists, motorists and pedestrians in towns and cities.

Here in London many cyclists commit what they call "minor" infingements of law because it is safer for them (such as crossing junctions when all the traffic is stopped to let pedestrians cross, cycling on the pavement to avoid traffic etc).

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on this. And in particular if there are UK towns that have managed to get the mix of cyclists and motorists right.

Thanks in anticipation and best wishes.

David Baker (cyclist and motorist)
Financial Times
Cyclists are governed by the same laws as motorists. It is just as illegal to ride a bike through a red light as it would be to drive a car through it, or ride a coach and four through it for that matter.

Don Shipp said:
Cyclists are governed by the same laws as motorists. It is just as illegal to ride a bike through a red light as it would be to drive a car through it, or ride a coach and four through it for that matter.
its also if i am not wrong illegal for the cars to go thru at the end when the light changes.. maybe you favour them for that... fact remains that it can be more dangerous sometimes to go the legal route.. and if no traffic is using the lights why stand still... i am not saying just do it i am saying in my experience it is sometimes safer to do so.. in our area we have police officers on bikes... they do it so why cant i?

in 30 years riding a bike it has served me well.. i only do it in times of need and never if traffic is using it

hellsbells said:
No, We are road users and should abide by the rules of the road like all other users.
i have a challenge for you... come to my local area and tell me how many road users here abide by the rules lol last year a driving instructor in this area was sent to prison for passing motorists who paid for licences and cannot drive properly.. i regularly see all sorts of offenses driving with phone in ear, kids or dogs hanging out of the car... running red lights sometimes even amber ones while the opposite phase is still on amber and trafffic is still on crossing.. reversing out of a parking space on high roads with no fore thought... driving at night with no lights at all .... the usual no indication of any turning and swinging across your path then giving you the finger.... box junctions.. they are the funniest in our area nobody knows youare not sposed to go into it unless the way is clear.. they all hog the damn thing... even the police do nothing...speeding ... why are there speed cameras and humps if these users abide by the rules...

nope i see nothing wrong as long as it is done in a safe way and it can be done safely... in fact in the highway code it states that you may run a red light if an emergency vehicle needs to pass you... a little contradictory dont you think so it has to be safe sometimes....

so as for they abide by the rules.. not in london they dont and london is a bloomin big place why just the travelcard zone is 610 square miles...

Hi There,

I will do it if it is safe to. I work a permanent late shift and don't get to ride thro' Wolverhampton until approx 12.30am,there is very little traffic at this time and I often found myself waiting at red lights alone so I tend to go thro' them now,but saying that I wouldn't do it at Lunch time when it is busy :rolleyes: .

Whatever happened to the thinking of many cyclists who had the idea of: We will act like road users,when we get treated like road users ?

Both the Police and Ambulance use bikes in my area and they often pass me as I am waiting for the light to change, so I guess if it's okay for them, it's good for the gander!

I feel I have to confess, I have on occassion turned left on a red light.

N