Should I be concerned?

cPritch67

Apr 12, 2004
Late last summer, I crashed my mtn bike on the trail. After inspection of my bike, I noticed that I scuffed the carbon bars (Easton) and scratched the tops of my shifter pods. Is there any concern that the bars are structurally sound?

Any thoughts?

cPritch67 said:
Late last summer, I crashed my mtn bike on the trail. After inspection of my bike, I noticed that I scuffed the carbon bars (Easton) and scratched the tops of my shifter pods. Is there any concern that the bars are structurally sound?

Any thoughts?
Time to buy a new bike.

cPritch67 said:
How fast/'violent' was the crash? What did you crash into? ...

When you say scuffed, do you mean that the clear-coat on the bars is scuffed, or is it a scratch that penetrates the clear-coat layer into the actual carbon weave? If the latter, I'd want to look at getting new bars.

Basic clear-coat scuffs are mainly cosmetic, and don't affect the structural integrity of the bar. There is a chance of microscopic cracks forming in the carbon from the force of impact, but Easton's carbon parts are built really strong and to high quality.

rek said:
How fast/'violent' was the crash? What did you crash into? ...

When you say scuffed, do you mean that the clear-coat on the bars is scuffed, or is it a scratch that penetrates the clear-coat layer into the actual carbon weave? If the latter, I'd want to look at getting new bars.

Basic clear-coat scuffs are mainly cosmetic, and don't affect the structural integrity of the bar. There is a chance of microscopic cracks forming in the carbon from the force of impact, but Easton's carbon parts are built really strong and to high quality.

It was one of those, picked the wrong line and in order to save the rear derailler, I drifted left, had my handlebar (grip) hit a very large boulder, which then turned the wheel, setting off a jackknife, which sent me over the bars and the bike onto the ground. Was prolly going 15 mph. Just some light scuffing, I don't believe it penetrated the actual weave - need to confirm. I was thinking along the same lines, just wanted to hear it from someone else too. Thanks

I wouldn't want to be riding behind you or anyone else for that matter with carbon bars that have been in a crash. replace them man...get the EA70's bar and stem. Not the carbon EC70 version...You will notice a lot of the pro's use Deda Elementi Newton aluminium BArs and stem, they are very cheap on probikekit.com something like $180 for a set.