Should I bother getting travel insurance for cycle touring in Aus/NZ?

dannyfrankszzz

Mar 8, 2003
I’m going off cycle touring in Aus and NZ, and then a brief stint of backpacking in Thailand. I’ve searched around for insurance policies for my needs but there’s nothing that really fits the bill. They seem overpriced and they don’t cover my bicycle??

I’m from the UK but I’m also a NZ passport holder. Also, there’s a healthcare agreement between the UK and Australia to treat respective nationals of each country. So in that respect I’m covered.

I guess my main concerns would be: if I’m hit by a driver (but then I don’t need to be covered in order to take out a claim against the offending party); personal accident i.e. hit and run and I don’t see the other drivers details; loss from theft etc.

The thing is I live in the UK, I've been cycling most days for the last 4 years and I have never taken out insurance for cycling and so I guess I'm wondering why I should start now.

I’m thinking that I should just get backpackers insurance for two weeks for when I get to Thailand.

Danny

In New Zealand you are covered courtesy of us (tax payers ) for any accident you might have. It is called ACC.However , sickness and other health cost are borne by the tourist / visitor. So it is advisable to take out at least a basic travel insurance. Be also aware that our motorists are not as courteous as those in the UK!

Have a great time in this beautifull place .

Arnold van Zon