Should I buy a Bike Mirror?

I know riders who have been on their bikes for decades and have never used a mirror. I also know riders who swear by them. If they allow you to feel more comfortable in traffic, I say use one. I don't use one because I feel my ears and eyes are sufficient. Those darn hybrid cars do suprise me every now and then.

I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a necessity, but it's so inexpensive, and so useful, it's an automatic recommendation to anyone even remotely curious.

I personally don't ride without the mirror on my bike. As I have limited hearing I find it much safer for me. I have never tried the tiny mirror that attaches to sunglasses but it does look like a great idea!

I used a mirror all of last year and it was ok, it attached to my glasses. But this year I lost the darn thing so been riding without the mirror...funny thing is...I don't miss it! I guess I'm weird, I thought it was going to be really a nice safety feature but not really, I resorted going back and using my ears to alert me when a car is coming from behind and my ears at 60 work just fine. My first thought was when I couldn't find the mirror was to go buy another, but I procrastinated and after a couple of rides this spring I opted not to buy one.

I think if you have bad hearing, or issues with turning your neck to peek behind you, or balance issues while attempting to peek behind you, then a mirror would probably be a safe bet to own.

Originally Posted by dhk2
I rely on mine all the time without looking over my shoulder. In fact, I get a much clearer and longer view from my helmet-mounted mirror than I ever would by a quick glance relying on peripheral vision. Same when I'm driving the car: I rely on all three mirrors when changing lanes, and virtually never look back which would require taking my eyes off the road for a longer period of time. Mirrors are required on modern cars because they are the only way to drive safely in traffic on multi-lane roads, not because they are some kind of crutch for beginners.

My though is that anyone interested in really "paying attention" on a bike should use a mirror. A few of my riding buddies still don't use them, and they say it's because they really don't need to pay attention to what's coming from behind. Their opinion is that it's the drivers obligation to keep clear when passing, and if they fail to do that, there's nothing the cyclist can do anyway....you're going to be hit. In other words, using a mirror to constantly check and call out "car back", or "car passing" is a useless act, because a cyclist can't leave the traffic lane fast enough to avoid being hit anyway. I admit that argument (for not using a mirror) may be valid, but for me the clear view back gives a sense of security that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Spot on post ;-)

It all depends on you to be honest. If you do not feel safe cycling without protective gear, then you should obviously, buy it. However, some professional and experienced cyclists do not find any uses for these. Just make sure you are attentive on the road to the cars passing by. Overall, just buy a mirror because it is cheap and extremely useful.

I have been road cycling for a solid 15 years now and have honestly never felt the need for a mirror, while I do advocate safety to the n-th degree, I honestly don't think a bike mirror adds that much to safety, I was taught proper orientation in classes in elementary school and even back then we never though a mirror was necessary.

[SIZE=10.5pt]It is always good to buy equipment and gears for bikes which are for road safety and protection. Prevention is better than cure, so it is better to buy these than encounter accidents while riding. Especially when you are biking in the streets, these are great add-ons for a defensive stance when hitting the road using your bike. [/SIZE]

I was going to pass this thread up but I happen to stumble on these pair of mirrors for your bike. Looks good to me and it totally adjustable. Do you guys think that this is something worth having on your bike. I wouldn't mind having a pair of these on my bike.

Category-Handlebar-Mirror.jpg

Depending on where you live. I might not be mandatory to have rear view mirrors. But they don help you spot oncoming cars. It is for safety measures. Not a necessity. But if you feel the need to take extra precautions, then do so. You might not look cool to other cyclists, but who cares.

I've never used mirrors myself, but I can see why some cyclists prefer to have them on their bikes. It doesn't really matter a whole lot, but they do improve your overall safety if used properly. For that reason, I can't really knock anyone that chooses to install mirrors on their bicycles. It can't hurt, whether it looks stylish or not.