Should I Buy a road bike? wife doubts me!

dangerhack

Feb 17, 2012
I have a tendency to start things an not go through with them. (example = bought a treadmill and never used it) but i feel like cycling would be alot more fun and something i could def enjoy but my wife thinks its another thing ill buy an never do.. any advice?

Perhaps you should borrow a bike, if possible, to see if cycling is an activity you'll enjoy and continue.

If you can't borrow a bike, then you should probably buy a inexpensive used bike. That way if you don't follow through with cycling, you should be able to sell the bike for almost what you paid for it, providing you take good care of it.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by dangerhack .

I have a tendency to start things an not go through with them. (example = bought a treadmill and never used it) but i feel like cycling would be alot more fun and something i could def enjoy but my wife thinks its another thing ill buy an never do.. any advice?
No one knows you better than your wife.

davereo said:
No one knows you better than your wife.

That depends on the OP's level of discretion or indiscretion. It's possible that his wife's sister could know him better.....or his wife's mom. What if he has an identical twin? If he's a Borg, then everyone the Collective will know him better than his wife if she's not a Borg.

Well, here's how I worked it ... and this seemed to work well.

I was borrowing a buddy's bike for ~6 months when I started riding again. That got me the "credit" with my wife to go buy a cheap road bike (I dropped $600 on an entry level bike at Performance). Then I went and rode that bike like crazy for about a year and a half. Then I was allowed to upgrade.

I sold the entry level bike and recouped ~50% of the cost ... so essentially, an extra $300 investment ensured that my now $3000 bike was not an impulse buy!

Scott

I have a tendency to start things an not go through with them........i feel like cycling would be alot more fun..... but my wife thinks its another thing ill buy an never do.. any advice?
Wife's are generally correct... but not always. I returned to cycling with a $30 yard sale bike from an old man. Later I was given a better bike from a friend that was moving. Months later... I bought a new bicycle.

An older or cheap fat tired mountain bike would be fun to have hanging around for a quick trip to the store or whatever. I can't imagine going wrong by owning a bike. But cycling as a sport or hobby can cost more than a few dollars. Make sure the wife is mistaken before you dive in too deep.

thanks for the answers guys.. yea i currently got a part time job at a shop on the side.. so i figured i can get a allez or somthing along that line for cheap even if its the lowest model an hopefully score it for like 500$ or so since i work there... then if it all works out i can always upgrade the compents later to better ones... she still is not happy about it but i thnk i can convince her lol... i know nothing about road bikes but learning more an more an never had an interest untill i started working here. Running is too boring an this seems like somthing i would enjoy.

Either join a cycling club or get a few close friends who are into cycling. There's nothing like peer pressure to keep you motivated.

... yea i currently got a part time job at a shop on the side.. so i figured i can get a allez or somthing along that line for cheap even if its the lowest model an hopefully score it for like 500$ or so since i work there...
A part-time job at a bicycle shop. That sounds like a perfect solution... and an enviable position. Congratulations.

You sound like you could be my long lost twin! May I suggest you join a club? Find on that has different levels of rides, so you can go on "social" rides. Great way to pick up advice and stay motivated.