Should I Buy A World Champion Jesey

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by team bianchi, Apr 25, 2006.

1. team bianchi

team bianchi New Member

Hi I want to buy a Tom Boonen QuickStep World Champion jersey they look really good but should I ?

Ive heard all this stuff about people saying you shouldnt buy world champion jersey but is it true. I dont want to think im the world champ but i want to support Tom Boonen and isnt just like buying any other Pro team jersey ?

Your Thoughts and Views

Tags:

2. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

It is your money so buy and wear what you want, and everyone else be damned. The reason these things are sold is because people wear them.

Cheers,

Brian

shoppyking likes this.
  3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Buy it, get tom to sign it and then frame it ;)

4. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Go for it, I think they look cool too.

5. otherworld

otherworld New Member

It's your choice but.... you can't wear it in CA controlled competitions and you obviously have doubts, probably for good reason. There's a guy who rides around here wearing an Armstrong yellow jersey... everyone thinks he's a dick too.

Jay.

6. Randomus

Randomus New Member

Assuming you are going to enter any races with the jersey, feel free to wear it around! I see riders in San Francisco wearing local, national, and international team jerseys. I ride around in my T-Mobile jersey all of the time.

If you're entering any sort of race, please leave the team jersey at home. ;)

7. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

There is a guy around here who I see riding in disco gear. He also wears US postal knicks. When I see this I just think he is a supporter of the team, the US Postal knicks give him additional cred (ie he was on the bandwagon early).

8. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

That'd be me. No really, I have a 'general' TDF leader's jersey, but it is unmarked with any team logo on the front. It's a damned nice hot weather jersey, and I'll be wearing it a bunch this summer when temps hit the 90's. I have to think to myself that MOST people in cars and even on bicycles (not roadies) have NO idea what these jerseys even mean.

9. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

I thought of buying a King of the Mountains TdF jersey when I first got into cycling even though I could barely make it up hills :p. I don't think badly of people who wear yellow jerseys or whatnot but I'm sure others do.

10. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

Oh that is classic. I think that would be the coolest/funniest thing to wear a polkadot jersery while being dropped by absolutely everyone on the hills!! It kind of says "Don't knock me, at least I have a goal...".

11. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Of course it is the people who judge other cyclists by what they wear who are the real dicks. God, roadi cyclists are a bunch of elitist, arrogant pricks sometimes (and I am a roadie myself)!

I personally don't care what any cyclist wears. I own and wear a NY Islanders jersey and I can't even skate. This issue gets discussed ad-nauseum. Just wear what you want to wear and to hell with what everyone else thinks.

Brian

12. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

In general, experienced riders don't wear pro-team jerseys.

You may get a few snarky remarks - like "Hey Tom - you got shorter", but probably not many nasty remarks.

You will probably be viewed not as a dick, but as a kid who's pretending to be his hero.

I've got a 2005 QuickStep jersey so I say it's not poser, it's retro. Retro is cool, posing is not.

13. JohnO

JohnO New Member

It's sort of fun to walk into a store here in KY, USA with an Italian cycling jersey on, and watch people try to figure out what Domina Vacanze or Fassa Bortolo is. Um, they make concrete... Every so often, I run into someone who can read Italian. Plus, they're well made jerseys and very comfortable.

Been wanting a Euskaltel jersey, but the darn things are pricey.

Hey, wear what you feel like wearing. A Boonen rainbow jersey would look nice. Of course, if you really want to look like Tom, be sure to stuff a roll of pennies in your shorts...

14. SBSpartan

SBSpartan New Member

Anyone who judges people because of the jersey they choose to wear to ride their bike is a complete douche bag.

Proud owner of a yellow (with a little white) shirt I got from performance. If you don't like it, oh well, I do.

15. StartTday

StartTday New Member

Just get it. Its the same thing as wearing a team replica baseball jersey or whatever sport. I dont see why it has to be different with cycling. It looks good...

And if anyone knows where I can get a T-Mobile German world champ jersey, I would forever be grateful.

16. capwater

capwater New Member

Wear whatever you want. If people flame you, that's their problem. I usually wear my current team's kit or one from my past teams, but I have been known to put on my Cippollini zebra stripe Domina Vacanze jersey on occassion.

17. team bianchi

team bianchi New Member

YER thanks for this I alredy own a illes balears and team bianchi jersey but you know a champion jersey is the next step lets keep this thread going and talk about wat should the rule be my view is the you cant go and buy everything in a champion jersey ie mitts , socks , cap but bib shorts you could get away with i like toms world champ bibshorts there not all world champ colors its still got the quickstep blue !

18. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 New Member

This is me. I usually wear my kit, being part of a team, I feel its only the right thing to do. I do, however, have two yellow jerseys from races last year that I wear occasionally for charity rides or something, and undoubtedly, some smarta** spouts off for me wearing a yellow jersey with sponsor names on it. They usually pipe down after I tell them its from races that I led and/or won though.

19. janiejones

janiejones New Member

Most of the non-cycling world reckons we look stupid anyway (if only they knew) - so wear what you want.

I'm an Aussie too, but as you say GO JAN!!!!!

20. capwater

capwater New Member

great comments, both of them!

Yup, to the outside world no matter what color scheme we're goofballs. My attitude is that anyone who gets out there and rides a bike for either exercise or competition is way ahead of the couch potato. Personally, I wouldn't be a Lance clone in full Discovery (or Postal) kit with a carbon Trek, but I have no ill feelings towards people who might be inclined to do that or something similar.