Should I Buy A World Champion Jesey

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by team bianchi, Apr 25, 2006.

1. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Go for it..... The stories you heard are all lies ! Most likely started by Bettini fans.;)

I have a ToC KOM jersey. I never thought about it until now but next ToC I might try to have Levi Leipheimer sign it.

lw

2. lwedge

lwedge New Member

I agree.... Crap, I guess I better not wear the 2006 T of C KOM jersey until next year then. :D

lw

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Many years ago a friend gave me a Giuseppe Saronni version of the World Champion's jersey (Del Tongo-Colnago... 1983?) in WOOL! That's way retro, and I would wear it if I could get down to about 140 pounds.

Anybody who razzed me would get a Silca frame pump in the spokes.

Maybe I can sell it on eBay.

4. otherworld

otherworld New Member

Wearing commercial team jerseys is one thing…. wearing world champion, national champion, or even national team colours is something prised by people who earn the right to do so. The professionals and elite amateur champions being emulated here would never wear a jersey they hadn’t earned.

Jay.

5. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

I have a Discovery Jersey and Bib Shorts, but that's all I've got that screams Lance. Plus since it's 2005 vintage, it's no longer being worn in the pro peloton.

6. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Neither of which the OP is I would imagine. This just smacks of more roadie eltitism (and I am a roadie) that makes the rest of the cycling community look at us as if we are all clowns and snobs. As long as those jerseys are for sale to the genral public, then I say there is nothing wrong with wearing them. I am a huge Tom Boonen fan and would have no problem wearing the stripes but I would never spend what they are surely asking for that jersey...besides noone would ever confuse me for a world class rider...and I don't care one way or the other.

Now for the pros, or the elite amateurs, that I can understand. But for the average cyclist out having fun...go for it.

Cheers,

Brian

7. malbs04

malbs04 New Member

why dont you eanr your own !!!!

8. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Why does he have to?:rolleyes:

9. brick654

brick654 New Member

If it feels good, wear it. Everywhere I go, I see kids wearing football jerseys with the name and number of their favorite player. They aren't impersonating anyone. They are showing their respect and admiration for that player. If I see you on the road wearing a world champion/KOM/maillot jaune/etc., I know that you are wearing it out of admiration for those who earned it.

I was yelled at a couple weeks back while wearing a yellow jersey.

"Lance! Lance! Go gettum', Dude!"

It wasn't even a maillot jaune replica. Just a plain, unmarked yellow jersey off the rack at the Performance Bike Store. So now certain colors are off limits? No yellow or green jerseys? What's left? White, black, brown (yuck), blue, red, purple? Give me a break!

10. SBSpartan

SBSpartan New Member

The whole "colors that are off limits" thing is too funny. I am going to wear a yellow jersey every group ride all summer just to get the comments from people.

11. capwater

capwater New Member

Geeez..... ya mean all those rap stars really don't play for the New York Yankees?????!!!!!

Wear what ya want, don't worry about what others think.

I personally would not wear a champions jersey, but that is my choice, I don't rag on others if they do.

12. malbs04

malbs04 New Member

why dont you earn one ??

this saves you money and also on the podium you get hot ladys and also you can be my hero like boonen is now... think of the benefits
    :D

13. tvaughn

tvaughn New Member

"Should I Buy a Boonen World Champion Jersey?"
    I have been asking myself this question and was posed to say, "Yes" and order one online, when somebody walked by my computer and said, "Why are you buying a Gay Pride Jersey?" So it dawned on me that most people around here would think that I was wearing a "Freedom Flag" not a World Champion Jersey.
    I'd love to have the jersey, but I don't need another reason for some redneck in a truck to yell, "FAG" as he tries to run me off the road.

14. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

15. dm69

dm69 New Member

I find it doesn't matter what you wear unless you are racing in which case you need plain clothes or club clothes anyway. In the end in a sport like cycling the only way people can judge you is by how well you ride your bike and how well you conduct yourself with others. So basically if you buy a world champion's jersey dont be a smartarse or a snob because they already have an advantage (your top) to start laying into you.

A local guy who rides around here has the full world champions outfit (boonen, 05) top and knicks as well as the full lotto-davitamon outfit, every time I pass him I get snobbed...here's the killer he can't ride! Often he will be heading out in the opposite direction to our club races and he doesn't even turn his head, he must be pretty awesome :p ;) .

16. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Who the "f" would want to be your hero anyway?

17. willocrew

willocrew New Member

Buy your World champion jersey, go to the gym and get hell buffed, and if any skinny elitist pro/amature cyclist comes round giving you stick... you stick that fist right up his disproportionately big toned @$$... otherwise just strangle him with your bicep.

18. Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard New Member

The St. Petersburg Bike Club Saturday morning ride often draws 100 to 200 riders. I'd estimate about half of the riders wear pro team jerseys of some sort. I've never heard anybody say anything negative about any of the garb. Mostly people just seem to take the wearing of a team jersey as an expression of support for the team or of bicycling in general. Some riders have large collections of jerseys and wear different ones each week.

19. schmuzzy

schmuzzy New Member

pro jerseys show your support for your team.

(and the very minute Landis' sample tested bad- you could pick up high quality PHONAK jerseys with starting bids as low as $.99)

however, regardless of the cheap price for high quality... you'd still have to ride around with a big f'n EAR in your back. :eek:

20. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

right on brother.....the world champions jersey is something you earn....not buy. I think it's insulting the significance of the jersey to have every 2nd doofus out there wearing them...go earn your own, then you can wear it!.....& if I ever earn one, you'll never get it off my back!