Should I Buy A World Champion Jesey

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by team bianchi, Apr 25, 2006.

1. brick654

brick654 New Member

Absolutely right! Now a replica of the world champions jersey is something that you buy, not earn.:p

2. psmalley

psmalley New Member

Yeah, that's a crock. Fans the world over wear replica jerseys of their favorite championship teams and sports heros; most of those folks never set foot on a baseball field, football field, or soccer pitch. At least this guy is out on his bike representing. Beats me why so many in the cycling community seem to spend so much time worrying about what to wear themselves, or what the rider next to them is wearing. If you're out on the road, it's all good.

3. waxbytes

waxbytes New Member

As far as earning a replica champion jersey, if you make the money to pay for it, then you have effectively earned the jersey. I wear a Domina Vacanze zebra jersey sometimes, if someone mistakes me for Mario or anyone that was on his lead out train that person needs an immediate eye exam. I just like the look of the old DV jersey, so I bought one. Same for those who like a champion jersey.

Unless you go around pretending to be VDB with Tom Boonen's picture - that might confuse people.

4. cycling_jedi

cycling_jedi New Member

This type of debate is exactly why I dont play golf anymore.... Instead of encouraging people the "elite" look down on what the other person is wearing or the equipment they use or how they play the game.... The most important thing to do is DO IT....

Why is it offensive to cyclists if someone who actually rides a bike wears a replica jersey of their favorite team/cyclist? And why is it not offensive to fans when a fat ass couch potatoe who hasn't played a sport since he was 5 wear the jersey of his favorite player/team?

I am brought up from the school of thought that says wearing a jersey shows support for the team and or cyclist. I would wear a Discovery Team Jersey... does that mean I think I am Lance... hell no... it mean I like Lance.

Here are a couple of Jerseys that I want to get and some of them have nothing to do with an organized team or player... but I am sure someone would give me shite for wearing them.....
    http://www.bicyclinghub.com/20usnatejeby.html USA Jersey
    http://www.bicyclinghub.com/blbrrotrjeby.html Blue Brothers
    http://www.bicyclinghub.com/cugetuyojeby.html Curious George
    http://www.bicyclinghub.com/acraedjebypr.html AC/DC

5. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

How does one earn the right to wear a jersey? By paying for it, or getting someone else to pay for it...

One earns the right to be the champion, and I suspect that if you ask any champion, many would feel that it is fine for others to wear the same Jersey. There is only one at a time that can wear it with the sense of accomplishment that comes from earning the title... or wear it in a race.

The world champion is the world champion no matter what he wears.

The title is the elite status, the laundry that comes with it is just laundry.

6. GatorTrek

GatorTrek New Member

My mother-in-law went to Paris in July. I gave her some money and asked her to get a white TDF jersey. She said she couldn't find a white one and got me a yellow one. So....it looks like I will be wearing a non-team yellow 2006 TDF jersey on the trail.

If you see me from your car and have a problem, I feel sorry for you because I am riding and you are not.

If you pass me on flat or hill or any terrain and have a problem with it, I hope it makes your day that you are faster than me.

If I pass you and you have a problem with it, take a chill pill.

Bottom line, my self worth doesn't come from my cycling ability. It certainly does not come from what you think of me. So, I will ride and wear my yellow TDF jersey and be content with my station in life - a huge fan of cycling and especially the TDF.

7. JSWin

JSWin Member

Buy whatever makes you happy. Who cares what other people think. I mean really. I know we sometimes get caught up in this kind of thing but if it makes you happy go ahead get it. Wear it and love it. Maybe world champion with his number or name on it. One of the other posts was asking who is your athlete you admire. The only one I could think of is myself. Lol I mean you can be the world champion, even if it is only in your mind.

8. shoppyking

shoppyking New Member

I think you should buy that jersey and show the world your confidence. Because only confidence will let you carry it in a style. So go for it dude.

9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

It's your money and your life, buy whatever you want. If you really want to own a Tom Boonen Champion jersey, I don't see what the problem is. You shouldn't care what other people think. Perhaps, a few would get a bit envious seeing you wearing it. But then you get people that react differently to these kind of matters.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't wear a champions jersey, as I think I'd feel a bit too self conscious wearing it.

To wear one you'd have to at least be a very good rider because it would be even more embarrassing if you turned up in that and then fell off at the end of the street!

11. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Meh...wear what you want to wear.

Hell, if wearing the rainbow stripes, getting a Sagan haircut and speaking with a Slovakian accent gets you laid...go for it.