Should I buy an Avanti Blade 4.0 or a Giant CRX3?

ema75

Nov 28, 2009
Looking at a flat bar road bike for (short) commute, shopping, taking the kids around in a chariot.

Did some test riding yesterday and have narrowed the search to Avanti Blade 4.0 ($1300) and Giant CRX3 ($1150). Both 2010 models. Am not an expert on the components. Would not want to go above the $1300 (already that is much more than I was hoping to get away with).

Assuming both are equally comfortable in a test ride, which represents best value for money? Is it worth the extra cash for the Avanti?

I live in Canberra. Am open to other suggestions for brands/bikes available here that offer better value for money.

Thanks
Edward

ema75 said:
Looking at a flat bar road bike for (short) commute, shopping, taking the kids around in a chariot.

Did some test riding yesterday and have narrowed the search to Avanti Blade 4.0 ($1300) and Giant CRX3 ($1150). Both 2010 models. Am not an expert on the components. Would not want to go above the $1300 (already that is much more than I was hoping to get away with).

Assuming both are equally comfortable in a test ride, which represents best value for money? Is it worth the extra cash for the Avanti?

I live in Canberra. Am open to other suggestions for brands/bikes available here that offer better value for money.

Thanks
Edward

If you arent worried too much about name brands, also have a look at Cell Bikes.
They are based in Sydney, but will deliver to you.
I had one of their road bikes as my first bike, and for the money, you cant go past them..

I looked at a local site (Melbourne) to check the components and there was a bigger difference in the price. :confused:
Avanti = $1300
Giant = $850

So as you'd expect, there is some difference in the specs with a gap like that in price. Just a step up in the Avanti in quality...but not significant. If your commute is gentle then the Giant should be fine...but if you are going to ride it fairly hard and do lots of kms...I'd go with the Avanti. Years ago I had a $400 Shogun mtb which I commuted (hard) on...4 days a week for 20km each way...after 2 years it just died (rear derailer buckled ontop of itself and went through the spokes :eek:) and the shop guy told me that bikes of that value just aren't designed to be ridden like that. My point being, buying cheap is fine if you don't plan on doing lots of kms stomping hard.

As for Cell, the same applies...but bear in mind that if there's a problem or change required (which there inevitably is in the first few months with most bikes) you can't take it in your local shop and have them fix it for nothing.