Should I buy from ebay?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jason Diaz, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Jason Diaz

    Jason Diaz Guest

    It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
    looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place to
    buy a mountain bike? Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price
    is right... any things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
    > looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
    > to buy a mountain
    bike?
    > Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
    > things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

    If you're a good mechanic and know the ups and downs of various models you might do OK. If you're
    just getting into the sport I think you'd be better off with a bike shop. Most will give you free
    tune-ups for a a period of time after you get the bike as well as lots of advice.

    I only buy thing from eBay that I know a lot about so it's a very informed decision. (unless it's
    really cheap and I'm willing to gamble the cost) I buy computer parts and consumer electronics and
    that's about it.

    Matt

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
    > looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
    > to buy a mountain
    bike?
    > Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
    > things I should be wary of here?

    Ebay has been great for me. I have bought and sold several items, from batteries to aircraft. You
    can get a good sense of what to expect by looking at people's feedback and the quality and honesty
    of their ad.

    I offer anyone the option to return anything they buy from me for a refund if they are not
    satisfied. I'm sure it raises the confidence level of the buyer (no one has ever wanted to return
    anything either). You should be looking for the same type of thing.

  4. Vaz

    Vaz Guest

    What up. I bought a slightly used GF Sugar 3 last year for about 800 bucks. It was flawless
    transaction. The seller was highly rated and the ship time was only about 5 days. You have to look
    very carefully at the seller and their rating. Also, send them a few questions and see how fast they
    respond. READ the auction description very carefully as well.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it. But I should suffer the misery of
    devils were I to make a whore of my soul"

    --Saul Alinsky
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
    > looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
    > to buy a mountain
    bike?
    > Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
    > things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

  5. Gopherhockey

    Gopherhockey Guest

    I'd do the usual things - check the sellers feedback rating.. always email them and ask a question
    to see how quickly they respond. Ask them as much as possible about the bike you are bidding on -
    what kind of riding they do etc.

    I have purchased 2 bikes off eBay and sold 3. All transactions went very well... other than the fact
    that "good condition" to a racer can mean something entirely different than "good condition" does to
    someone who hits the trail once a month.

    --
    gopherhockey
    East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  6. Aps

    Aps Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jason Diaz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
    > looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
    > to buy a mountain bike? Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the
    > price is right... any things I should be wary of here?

    I bought a Diamondback hardtail on eBay for about $180. It was a little scary after winning
    because I didn't hear from the seller for a few days, and then not at all until the bike showed up
    at my doorstep.

    It's possible to find stolen stuff on eBay, so emailing the seller with technical questions isn't a
    bad idea. Other have mentioned looking at the feedback closely, but you can also check out the
    seller's history.

    You should also find out for sure how much shipping is going to be, and if it's inflated over actual
    costs, and make sure they're not planning to use USPS, which is really pricey with big heavy stuff.

    APS

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:59:18 -0600, "Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    Yes, no, maybe so,

    :-]