Should I buy from ebay?

Status

Jason Diaz

Guest
It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place to
buy a mountain bike? Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price
is right... any things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

Mattb

Guest
"Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
> looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
> to buy a mountain
bike?
> Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
> things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

If you're a good mechanic and know the ups and downs of various models you might do OK. If you're
just getting into the sport I think you'd be better off with a bike shop. Most will give you free
tune-ups for a a period of time after you get the bike as well as lots of advice.

I only buy thing from eBay that I know a lot about so it's a very informed decision. (unless it's
really cheap and I'm willing to gamble the cost) I buy computer parts and consumer electronics and
that's about it.

Matt

John Harlow

Guest
> It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
> looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
> to buy a mountain
bike?
> Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
> things I should be wary of here?

Ebay has been great for me. I have bought and sold several items, from batteries to aircraft. You
can get a good sense of what to expect by looking at people's feedback and the quality and honesty
of their ad.

I offer anyone the option to return anything they buy from me for a refund if they are not
satisfied. I'm sure it raises the confidence level of the buyer (no one has ever wanted to return
anything either). You should be looking for the same type of thing.

Vaz

Guest
What up. I bought a slightly used GF Sugar 3 last year for about 800 bucks. It was flawless
transaction. The seller was highly rated and the ship time was only about 5 days. You have to look
very carefully at the seller and their rating. Also, send them a few questions and see how fast they
respond. READ the auction description very carefully as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it. But I should suffer the misery of
devils were I to make a ***** of my soul"

--Saul Alinsky
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
> looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
> to buy a mountain
bike?
> Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the price is right... any
> things I should be wary of here? Thanks all...

Gopherhockey

Guest
I'd do the usual things - check the sellers feedback rating.. always email them and ask a question
to see how quickly they respond. Ask them as much as possible about the bike you are bidding on -
what kind of riding they do etc.

I have purchased 2 bikes off eBay and sold 3. All transactions went very well... other than the fact
that "good condition" to a racer can mean something entirely different than "good condition" does to
someone who hits the trail once a month.

--
gopherhockey
East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Aps

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Jason Diaz <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems I can get a much better price on a much better bike if I buy slightly used on ebay. I am
> looking at spendign around 500 dollars. Does anyone recommend AGAINST ebay, or is it a good place
> to buy a mountain bike? Im looking at some Specialized Rockhoopers, or maybe a StumpJumper if the
> price is right... any things I should be wary of here?

I bought a Diamondback hardtail on eBay for about $180. It was a little scary after winning
because I didn't hear from the seller for a few days, and then not at all until the bike showed up
at my doorstep.

It's possible to find stolen stuff on eBay, so emailing the seller with technical questions isn't a
bad idea. Other have mentioned looking at the feedback closely, but you can also check out the
seller's history.

You should also find out for sure how much shipping is going to be, and if it's inflated over actual
costs, and make sure they're not planning to use USPS, which is really pricey with big heavy stuff.

APS

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:59:18 -0600, "Jason Diaz" <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, no, maybe so,

:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.