Should i buy my bike from Halfords?

in message <[email protected]>,
complience ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Doesnt gearing really depend on the rider.. doesnt that Jan Ullrich
> favour more power over finesse.

Ish. He's still probably pedalling a faster cadence than most people
will ever manage. I do know people who are seriously fast who push big
gears - but all things are relative, and 'slow cadence' among racing
cyclists is still fast for most of us.

> Im still confused over what the casette is.. is it the gears connected
> to the back tire?

To the back wheel, yes.

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>But
>for better value you might look at a Claud Butler Milano - reasonably
>good parts on a reasonable frame for about £550 list;

I can recommend this. Good value for "hard earned". look around on
internet, you can pick one up for ~480ukp.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:59:59 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

> A 13 at the
>top means you won't be able to go as fast before you spin out on a
>/huge/ hill (but most racing isn't down /huge/ hills and where it is
>your speed is often limited by practical considerations like how fast
>you can go round blind bends and be reasonably assured of being alive
>afterwards)...

Besides which, pedalling on a steep downhill is futile anyway once you
reach a certain speed. For me that seems to be around 32 mph.
Freewheeling in a good aerodynamic tuck with the knees in and the feet
at 3 and 9 o'clock will be faster.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:25:50 +0100, "wheelsgoround"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Are you thinking of buying it online?
>
>Bad Idea.
>
>Regardless of where you buy a bike, make sure the
>salesperson/mechanic/whatever has measured you up and determined that the
>bike is the right size for you. I continually come across people who have a
>bike that is too big or too small for them and they bought it because "it
>was a bargain" or "I liked the look of it" and the person selling it to them
>didn't size them up properly.
>
>Also, try it out first; see how it feels.

Agreed. A bike that doesn't fit you is never a bargain.